Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

prosthetics
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: prosthetics Reply with quote

Anyone here have a finger prosthetic?

Lost a fight with a table saw.

Looking at "Naked Prosthstics" to extend my index finger snd pinkie so i can grab tools again.

Any input appreciated.

Thankyou
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Lost a fight with a table saw.

Thank you.

Oh so sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you.

My brother in law sawed 3/4 of this thumb off with a table saw. They were living south of Ensenada Mexico at the time. The emergency room at the local Mexican Navy Hospital took care of him. Lots of surgical procedures and reconstruction. Total cost: $91. He ended up with full function of the finger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Didn't hurt Lee Van Cleef's career. Photo from GBU:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Didn't hurt Matthew Perry's career

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Quote:

Never knew a finger prosthetic was a thing. I was under the impression that if you lost a finger or part of one. You had to live without it.

40 some odd years ago. I lost a fight with a worm drive Skill-Saw.
A moment of bad decision and my left thumb was severed just below the first knuckle.
Micro nerve surgery, some pins and many months of healing were in front of me.

I went back to work in the same field and the first saw I used was the very saw that cut my thumb off. I wanted to bash that thing with my 20oz. Vaughan hammer!

I hope you find a prosthetic that works for you. Be well Calvinator.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Didn't hurt Lee Van Cleef's career. Photo from GBU:

Didn't hurt Matthew Perry's career

There are two kinds of people in the world, those with nine fingers , and those who dig….it
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Oh geez Calvinater Shocked I've seen many dudes and one chick with missing fingers and finger sections from a variety of saws. But your digits are a real mess. Sorry man. I have a prosthetic but my experience is no help to you. Hope you find a solid solution.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Back around '93 I dated a young lady that lost her left leg just below the knee in a horse related accident. The pronounced limp wasn't her bain, nor phantom pain (this was before mirror therapy). It was phantom itching which drove her nuts.

I can only imagine your frustration with everyday tasks, grabbing & grasping during mundane situations. We all compensate in many ways as humans learn to adapt & overcome.

In 2004 I crushed the end of my left middle finger under a 40ft schedule 120 pipe. Not much they could do but to this day I have a circular void under the nail & no feeling in the tip.
About 2019 I put a 3" deck screw between the 1st joint of my left thumb. Took about 10mos to recover with limited movement. Since my service connected disabilities in '89 I walk with a limp. Over the decades my "good side" is worn from taking the load.

Truly wishing a solution for you !

Best to you ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear that, but happy that it wasn’t worse.

I can’t help but to think that prosthetic extension would be more of a hindrance than of a helpful solution… kinda like watching women with 3”+ fingernails trying to use a touch screen or count change.

I lopped off the lower 3/4” of my index finger, but glued it back on with superglue. I too lost a bit of sensitivity, but it’s barely noticeable visually.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Man. I was under the impression that you nicked your fingers.
I really feel your pain.

I hope you find a prosthetic that fits your needs.

Since the advent of touch screen phones. I am unable to manipulate text messaging with my left thumb. Somehow the long dead thumb nerves are not making a connection with the touch screen sensors.

I wish you well Calvinater.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Tony Lommi created a finger out of melted pop bottles and a leather strap. Just sayen.

https://patient-innovation.com/post/1662
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

be careful when googling 'naked prosthetics' Shocked

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

finster wrote:
be careful when googling 'naked prosthetics' Shocked

That’s hard to Unsee, without even looking….
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

I would like to thank all of you for your words of encouragement, they are much appreciated.

Fve months since the incident .

Rusty, I had trouble with touch screens for a few years, too many nicks over the years, heard you can use a hotdog. Rolling Eyes

Anywho , guys and gals, do not be afraid to check out the Naked Prosthetics web site some pretty cool stuff being done there.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

i had a friend who lost his thumb, he cut it off with a table saw. he was a professional jeweler so he made a mold of his other thumb tip and cast it in silver, he then made a snap band mechanism that looped around under the remaining knuckle. it was articulated at the same spot so he could still grip with it, plus he could solder longer and hold things without burning himself. if you know a jeweler who is adept at fabricating their own mechanisms for clasps then they can easily make you a cool metal thing that you can wear with articulated tips on them, might look cool!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

I knew a cabinet maker that cut off his thumb. He played softball and it was really an issue for him to hold the bat.
Good luck with everything.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Whew. I feel this one like others here. Wishing you luck as well. I cut off the last part of my middle and ring finger on my right hand (non dominant!) and the fingers are not a lot of use. I kept them and had them put back on with several surgeries and crazy money. Hope you can find a prosthetic situation that would be more useful than my reattached useless fingers...

Bugles? Laughing

It is the way it is: My look at aging and injury.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Tony Lommi created a finger out of melted pop bottles and a leather strap. Just sayen.

https://patient-innovation.com/post/1662

Yep, Iommi did that after an accident at a sheet metal plant took his fingertips right before Black Sabbath were about to hit it big.

Jerry Garcia was missing a digit, too. Didn't seem to affect his playing too much.

My uncle crashed his VW bug into a bridge abutment in 1980. He was drunk, on his way home from his birthday party at the local watering hole. He laid out in the cold (MN in March) for about 5 hours before he was found. Lost all the fingers on his left hand to frostbite, plus a few other tips and spots on his face.

He never got a prosthetic and went on to a successful career driving equipment for the county and the State of MN. He still rides his Harley all over the country, and his hands are big enough he can pull the clutch lever to the handlebar between his thumb and the base of his hand where his fingers once were.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

I’m glad I haven’t lost any of my fingers as I need them all, but my eyesight has gone to Hades. Kudos to all of you who face up the challenges of the partial digital age
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

This is a cringeworthy thread for me. It's like pokin' my PTSD with a sharpened stick. Rolling Eyes

I commented the other day, "How many bullets have you dodged in your lifetime?" A wise old Samba member commented, "All of them. Except that last one." Or something like that.

I have a couple motorcycle buddies who hyper- extended their arms in motorcycle accidents. Net result is nerve damage and loss of motor control. It's a somewhat common injury. I almost knocked my left arm off in an accident 50 years ago. Still have full motor control accompanied by a bit of pain. I can handle the pain.

I ran multi- station presses when I worked for Chrysler. I reckon I had 1500 opportunities for a really nasty accident per shift. I count to ten on my fingers and I thank my lucky stars every day. Several of my co- workers weren't as lucky.

For anyone who is going to use a table saw, consider the Bosch REAXX table saw. Yeah, it's expensive. Fingers are priceless.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: