Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Did not read all, but todays its not gl4 OR gl5, it is gl4 and gl5.

http://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/oshop.pl?item_i...disabled=1

"Fully synthetic multigrade gear oil for manual transmissions and rear axles of passenger cars, trucks, buses and off-road vehicles. High Performer gear oil 75W-90 GL4 / 5 (fully synthetic) is produced on synthetic base Universal high performance gear oil of SAE grade 75W-90 with a specially selected additive combination.

Advantages:

Thermally highly resilient and provides even under permanent stress of +180 ° C a safe lubrication film. Even under such extreme conditions, it does not constitute impermissible aging products.

The High Performer gear oil 75W-90 GL4 / 5 (fully synthetic) meets and exceeds the following specifications:

API: GL4 / GL5

MIL-L2105D

Nothing new here, they have been selling GL4/GL5 oil for many decades and caused a lot of tranny problems because of it. At one point at least it would have been hard to find a GL5 oil that didn't also claim to meet the Gl4 standard, with hard shifting being the end result of using it.

There may be nothing wrong with the oil you mention, but I would prefer that someone else run a lot of miles with it before I would consider using it.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swepco 201 organic GL5 has been used for millions upon millions of miles in various Porsche transaxles for over 30 years. These are as close as you'll find to VW transaxles. I'ver personally used this oil for over a decade in my VW vans. That said, there are many GL5 oils that neither I nor most Porsche shops would ever consider using.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Waldi wrote:
Did not read all, but todays its not gl4 OR gl5, it is gl4 and gl5.

http://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/oshop.pl?item_i...disabled=1

"Fully synthetic multigrade gear oil for manual transmissions and rear axles of passenger cars, trucks, buses and off-road vehicles. High Performer gear oil 75W-90 GL4 / 5 (fully synthetic) is produced on synthetic base Universal high performance gear oil of SAE grade 75W-90 with a specially selected additive combination.

Advantages:

Thermally highly resilient and provides even under permanent stress of +180 ° C a safe lubrication film. Even under such extreme conditions, it does not constitute impermissible aging products.

The High Performer gear oil 75W-90 GL4 / 5 (fully synthetic) meets and exceeds the following specifications:

API: GL4 / GL5

MIL-L2105D

Nothing new here, they have been selling GL4/GL5 oil for many decades and caused a lot of tranny problems because of it. At one point at least it would have been hard to find a GL5 oil that didn't also claim to meet the Gl4 standard, with hard shifting being the end result of using it.

There may be nothing wrong with the oil you mention, but I would prefer that someone else run a lot of miles with it before I would consider using it.

I use that (and only that if not 40%diff) oil since 10 years on all my tranny rebuildings. On my Syncro alone over 200k km.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Swepco 201 organic GL5 has been used for millions upon millions of miles in various Porsche transaxles for over 30 years. These are as close as you'll find to VW transaxles. I'ver personally used this oil for over a decade in my VW vans. That said, there are many GL5 oils that neither I nor most Porsche shops would ever consider using.

I would like to see what happens with a organic oil at 180C Wink
Well, some i can see in the gearboxes. Black.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. Swepco 201 (rated at 375*F) was developed specifically for Porsche 935 race cars, in which the gear oil reaches temperatures of 325*F for hours on end. I can see how there'd be a longevity problem for us with our 150-175*F temperatures.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i see is opening a gearbox with organic oil, inside all black. Opening my gearbox, all shinie aluminium. If you swepco is organic it cant stand the high temps without producing " impermissible aging products ". Maybe i am wrong, never have seen a gearbox with 100k and your swepco inside. Also the well known 2nd gear shifting problems on cold temps dont exist with synthetic oil.

Edit: as i know gear oil in racing cars is being changed after every race. So it does mean nothing, when its specialy made for racing cars.

Last edited by Waldi on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well .. gears that last 200,000 miles in street cars last an average of 30 hours in a GT3 track car. I'd say whatever oil is used is put to the test.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thus racing oil that gets changed very often is not necessarily a good street oil that is forgoten for thousands of miles. the only thing I dont like about syn oil is it dosent climb like deno does. is there a good additive that will help it climb?I thought about a pint of moroso climbing gearlube with my syn.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I dont like about syn oil is it dosent climb like deno does.

What do you mean ?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
I dont like about syn oil is it dosent climb like deno does.

What do you mean ?

He's been brainwashed by those irrelevant displays in the auto parts store that have 4 or 5 gear wheels inside a clear box. When you turn the crank, all the gears spin and the bottom gear draws oil up to the second one, then the third etc. Those displays were created by snake oil manufacturers to show how their oil will climb better than other oil. All of that is completely irrelevant when you consider the hurricane that is going on inside your gearbox when at speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

yes I have a clean brain.and what display are you talking about? I try to steer clear of snake oils,my snake dosent squeek. but I have used a lot of moroso climbing gearlube and had good results and seen a lot of worn shit with outher gear oils. I ran murcury racings syn gearlube in my personal rearend when we were nolonger a moroso Wd dealer after moving from cars to offshore race boats in a different location.( and somehow I got the gear lube for free Shocked ) that mercury syn is thicker and seems to cling better that other syns Ive seen.. I nolonger have any of it Sad wish i did.and it is expensive.stinkey too,I tend to think it has zinc in it too. we ran it ann only it in the speedmaster 3's&6's. and most other hiper drives too. I cant recall ever having a burnt up unit unless it had agua in it.

I wonder why with all the syn lube now that trans and rearends are being built & modifyed for a oil pump to pump the oil where it is needed? Shocked and what slings the oil up in the nose cone to the main shaft bearing on the no nut shafts????
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
..... what slings the oil up in the nose cone to the main shaft bearing on the no nut shafts????

4th gear on the other side of the wall does a pretty good job getting oil to the MS bearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yes I have a clean brain.and what display are you talking about? I try to steer clear of snake oils,my snake dosent squeek. but I have used a lot of moroso climbing gearlube and had good results and seen a lot of worn shit with outher gear oils. I ran murcury racings syn gearlube in my personal rearend when we were nolonger a moroso Wd dealer after moving from cars to offshore race boats in a different location.( and somehow I got the gear lube for free Shocked ) that mercury syn is thicker and seems to cling better that other syns Ive seen.. I nolonger have any of it Sad wish i did.and it is expensive.stinkey too,I tend to think it has zinc in it too. we ran it ann only it in the speedmaster 3's&6's. and most other hiper drives too. I cant recall ever having a burnt up unit unless it had agua in it.

I wonder why with all the syn lube now that trans and rearends are being built & modifyed for a oil pump to pump the oil where it is needed? Shocked and what slings the oil up in the nose cone to the main shaft bearing on the no nut shafts????

Only maybe 1% or less has modyfyed the gearbox with pumps, cooling. Nobody has run this kind of gearboxes over 30 years or 300tsd km. Even this will not make the gearbox stronger to use high output engines if the driver dont know what he do. There will still braek parts inside which are not affected by pumping or cooling the oil. I can jsut say, my gearboxes have no problems without.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

One particular style gear box I worked on over the years originally specced 90wt and had a fill plug about a third of the way up the box from the bottom. Later boxes that were for all purposes identical were specced to run a 30wt motor oil and had the fill plug moved to half way up the box. Still later boxes were specced to run ATF with a pump and filter added and were filled 2/3rds of the way up. The later boxes ran much cooler and longer than the earlier boxes, so I converted all our older boxes over and the required maintenance dropped by probably 75% or so.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

so...have we learned anything hear??? or just everybody has a preference and excuse.... I was looking at the gear lube I used to run(in my v8 rearends not vw's)(mercury racing 90 wt hiperformance) it no longer says synthetic on it , but says gl4.and over 100 hp. I know synthetic&water dont get along well.I wonder if they reformulated it and it's no longer synthetic. so i just used what Ive been using in my vw trans when i changed it today,mix of castrol synthetic,penisoil synthetic,and alittle less than a pint of good ole deno 75-90,highperformance valveoiline. so the quest for the best go's on.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

This specific version of Redline 75-90"NS" looks to be made exactly for our type of transaxles. Meets GL5+ but proper amount of friction modifiers so shifting is easy, proper viscosity/flow characteristics and proper load strength for hypoid gears. This is not to be confused with standard Redline "MTL" or "shockproof" that is NOT made for our transmissions.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

Bruce, I would love to hear if you have any experience with the "NS" version of this oil.

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I would point out that the Beetle transaxle does not have hypoid gears. A hypoid final drive has the pinion above or below the center of the ring gear so the axis of the ring and the pinion do not intersect. This allows for a larger pinion gear but introduces a sliding contact.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
... the Beetle transaxle does not have hypoid gears.

You are correct that a Beetle does not use a hypoid R&P.
A hypoid R&P needs a GL-5 gear oil because the contact pressures are much greater than a Beetle's spiral bevel gear set. But with many of us adding hp to our Beetles, contact pressures go up. Four and five times the original hp isn't uncommon. With stresses like that, you need GL-5.
Even with a stock engine, I see a lot of parts that are just plain worn out. Oil with a higher extreme pressure rating will help protect these NLA parts.

Jeff, I'd use that oil. It's got everything going for it.
GL-5 for good contact pressure protection,
Low viscosity 75W-90 for good shifting in cold weather,
Built-in friction modifier for everyone with a ZF.
And finally, for those that believe the myth about synchro corrosion, it's got "improved copper corrosion protection". Whatever that is, it's easy to claim it prevents a type of damage no one has ever seen.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Thanks for Replying Bruce. You understand this stuff very well
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I was going through the endless pages of this thread to see what more detailed information I could find so I can correctly choose a better MTF oil here in Argentina / Chile. The brands they carry are not the same so I am having to translate the back of bottles from spanish with oils mixed for Puegot's and Renaults. This led me to just look up the API ratings..

GL-4 Active The designation API GL-4 denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid (see note)gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications where MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable. The manufacturer's specific lubricant quality recommendations should be followed.

GL-5 Active The designation API GL-5 denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid (see note) gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque conditions.

MT-1 Active The designation API MT-1 denotes lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting the requirements of API MT-1 service provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil-seal deterioration, which is not provided by lubricants in current use meeting only the requirements of API GL-1, 4, or 5.

GL-5 sounds like the better choice to me, it even seems that VW would have chosen it if they could have, but the MT-1 designation throws me off. Why would the OP of this topic and others recommend a GL-5 MT-1 rather than a GL-5 non MT-1 as the MT-1 designates a lubricant which is designed for non synchronized manual transmissions?

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 68

Jump to: