Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tire machine & bubble balancer
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: tire machine & bubble balancer Reply with quote

Invested $110 in Harbor Freight tire machine & bubble balancer. Worked great @ the ARCO in the 60's! Never have to pay/argue w/tire salesman again! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goodyear racing tire wholesaler in my area still uses a bubble balancer on all the tires they mount.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never got any complaints from customers back then! We were pushing our own 55-65 Chevys to 120mph+ Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in how balanced the tires would be if you ran it up to speed? I bought a Snap On tire spinner built in the 60's. It's a one horse power motor that spins the front tires (that are still on the car) up to 90mph. The great thing about balancing tires on the car is it balances EVERYTHING (drums, tires/rim, hubcap). On the front tires it balances BOTH the static and dynamic balance.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one of those Snap On tire spinners @ the ARCO. We never used it since we got such good results w/bubble balancer.
powellscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always had good results with bubble balancers too. Remember the drum, hub etc is so close to the axis of the "spin" it really has little effect on the balance. What you are mainly correcting is the tires imbalance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speed holes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the mounting machines for $40 a few weeks back, haven't used it yet because the hole in the center of a stock wide 5 wheel is too big to clamp down, need to get a old drum or a wheel adapter, something with a small enough center hole to bolt the wheel up to. I'll probably pick up a bubble balancer soon, actually saw one in an antique store a few months ago and I keep meaning to run back and grab it if its still there, I remember it being super cheap.

One question, how are you seating the bead? The old starting fluid and fire trick? Or is it as simple as putting a ratchet strap around the tread of the tire and filling it with air? I need to go down to a tire shop and watch how they do it, spent enough time in the waiting rooms of those damn places I should know everything by now.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to rig up something for wide 5 wheels. I just got my machine bolted to the concrete floor of the barn w/1/2" concrete anchors today. I think you could use a ratcheting tie down strap to help expand the tire to get it to inflate? I'm not familiar w/"the old starting fluid and fire trick"? We used to beat w/rubber mallet & lots of soapy water to get them to inflate! We had an inflatable band that we inflated around the tread that helped some. Unless you're mounting WIDE wheels they should inflate.
speed holes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starting fluid trick:

Link
vw (o\!/o) nut
Samba Member

Location: Wisconsin - Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speed holes wrote:
The starting fluid trick:

Link

This is "NOT" a recommended practice !!!!

Last edited by vw (o\!/o) nut on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, I use more fluid than that on a car rim. it works well on a 135, not so well on the new fuch 4.5 repops with smart car tires
baja72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not use starting fluid to inflate tires!!!! Busted knuckles ( sometimes w/ rachet strap) heal faster than burns or worse. We do not need to lose some one in the V-Dub family due to a stupid accident!
dave millard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: bubble balancer Reply with quote

I bought an old service station bubble balancer on ebay over a year ago. I found somone on the samba that makes wheel adapters for VW wheels, whether 4 or 5 lug. I bought a 5 lug adapter and have been using it on the bubble balancer. The setup works great balancing my bug wheels.
dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: