Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choke for Solex H40/44EIS
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

The first winter in Minneapolis for my 72 Karmann has shown me the difficulty keeping it running when it's started in below zero weather (until it warms up, this it's fine). I have dual Solex H40/44EIS carbs w/o choke body or cold start valve. I would like to add a choke to one of them to boost the idle rpm's until the engine warms up... and potentially the cold start valve(s), but not sure on that.

It looks like the choke body is separate from the carburetor and can be removed/added to the set up? Is this true? I've looked everywhere (including on this forum) and haven't found an answer. If this is true, any thoughts on where I can find one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thx,

j
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

If you want chokes you need new carb tops. I donīt know if the can be found loose. You may want to contact Kaddieshack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
If you want chokes you need new carb tops. I donīt know if the can be found loose. You may want to contact Kaddieshack

Thanks. It looks like my carb bodies have mounting holes for bolts to hold the choke. that's why I thought it was an add on component. Is this not true? Pic of one of my carbs below.

ArnoudH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

You might want to look out for Solex 36-40's:they're basically Kadrons with chokes.They came on certain ranges of type 4 engines(1.8s models in 411/412's and 914's).
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

I wouldnt say its impossible, but you will have to make some braces etc. Here is better shot at how they are hokked up https://www.kustom1warehouse.net/v/vspfiles/photos/page81-2011-2.jpg
On a second note. Again, the better your ignition is the better the engine will handle cold starts.
On a third note, those aircleaners kill power. Even on an almost stock 1600 engine such filters Rob 2-3 hp over stock type air cleaners. Just so you know.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
The first winter in Minneapolis for my 72 Karmann has shown me the difficulty keeping it running when it's started in below zero weather (until it warms up, this it's fine).

That my friend is a major short coming of most of the performance carbs. They were developed, tested and for the most part sold in southern California where it never gets cold.

Yes you need a good strong spark to ignite a cold rich mixture but no ignition system will add fuel. You have to have some way to do that.

I too have a set of choke-less Kadrons (start-less is more correct) and looked at adding chokes to them but the parts are hard to find used and most likely would not be economical to buy new - if you could find someone interested enough to order them in for you.

I found a set of unmolested Webers with the cold start system complete. Wow! Day and night difference! The hands down best choke system I have ever worked with. The only thing better in my experiance is FI cold start systems and these are a very close second.

Keep looking and don't give up, it's well worth it!
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I wouldnt say its impossible, but you will have to make some braces etc. Here is better shot at how they are hokked up https://www.kustom1warehouse.net/v/vspfiles/photos/page81-2011-2.jpg
On a second note. Again, the better your ignition is the better the engine will handle cold starts.
On a third note, those aircleaners kill power. Even on an almost stock 1600 engine such filters Rob 2-3 hp over stock type air cleaners. Just so you know.

@Alstrup thanks for the heads up on the air cleaners. They came with the car and I've been thinking about changing them...
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
TonkaJim wrote:
The first winter in Minneapolis for my 72 Karmann has shown me the difficulty keeping it running when it's started in below zero weather (until it warms up, this it's fine).

That my friend is a major short coming of most of the performance carbs. They were developed, tested and for the most part sold in southern California where it never gets cold.

Yes you need a good strong spark to ignite a cold rich mixture but no ignition system will add fuel. You have to have some way to do that.

I too have a set of choke-less Kadrons (start-less is more correct) and looked at adding chokes to them but the parts are hard to find used and most likely would not be economical to buy new - if you could find someone interested enough to order them in for you.

I found a set of unmolested Webers with the cold start system complete. Wow! Day and night difference! The hands down best choke system I have ever worked with. The only thing better in my experiance is FI cold start systems and these are a very close second.

Keep looking and don't give up, it's well worth it!

@oprn That's my thoughts exactly. I can get it started fine... it just won't stay running until it warms up. I'd rather have a choke to keep the rpms up instead of me having to to keep my foot on the pedal. Once it's warm, it's great, even in below zero weather. Kaddie Shack replied to my email saying that carbs are more trouble than they're worth and properly set up carbs work fine... but car needs to warm up to hold an idle. Hmmm... exactly the issue I'm trying correct.

Looks like I'll need to keep my eye out for a carb with a choke! Thx.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

That's a very typical response from a California company. Not a clue. Anyway I have not pursued finding chokes for my Kaddies any further. Let me know how you make out. If I could find the parts or trade for a set that had them I would run these carbs on my sand rail. If not they will turn into book ends for my repair manuals.

Unless I can find some unsuspecting southern propaganda believing sucker up here in the cold north to unload them on. They do exist - I was one once too! Embarassed
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke for Solex H40/44EIS Reply with quote

A few years ago there were single, center-mount Kadron kits which featured a carb with a choke. You might scrounge around some for one of those.
I had a dual-carb intake and carb set from I believe a BMW or inline Mercedes (factory stuff) which featured Solex/Kadron carbs with chokes.
The stuff is out there.
You might fabricate a bracket that holds an Idle Stop Solenoid triggered by a simple switch on the dash. You know, like carbureted cars which had air conditioning.
This would keep your engine at a fast idle (without using your foot) until you turned off the switch when warm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: