Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 head machining spec
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: 1776 head machining spec Reply with quote

Quick question, I hope! Does anyone know the exact cylinder bore diameter for the cylinder to head interface?
I believe I may have the wrong heads in this kit I ordered. I measured the cylinder to head spigot at 97.77mm and the Head bore that it fits into at 98.14.
Does anyone have experience with this much slop between the cylinder OD and the Head Bore?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 head machining spec Reply with quote

I wanna know this too for when i get my mill upgraded!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 head machining spec Reply with quote

sounds about right, I use around .2-.3mm, a little much though, whats more important are the depths both alike, that's where they seal.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Irfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 head machining spec Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
sounds about right, I use around .2-.3mm, a little much though, whats more important are the depths both alike, that's where they seal.

I understand the seal is at the top of the cylinder to the head bore surface. I am not confident with this much slop between the OD of the barrel and ID of the head.
Anyway, what kind of sealant do you like for these machined interfaces? I used Permatex Aircraft.... It is a bear to clean off!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 head machining spec Reply with quote

Irfast wrote:
RWK wrote:

I understand the seal is at the top of the cylinder to the head bore surface. I am not confident with this much slop between the OD of the barrel and ID of the head.
Anyway, what kind of sealant do you like for these machined interfaces? I used Permatex Aircraft.... It is a bear to clean off!

no sealant is used between the head and the cylinder, only the base of the cylinder and the case.
Irfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 head machining spec Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Irfast wrote:
RWK wrote:

no sealant is used between the head and the cylinder, only the base of the cylinder and the case.

Thanks for this heads up! I have always used Permatex Aircraft at the head interface with the barrels without any issues. It was cold and, the permatex was a brand new can but seemed sort of lumpy when i applied it. So, I am thinking that is the crux of the issue.
Thanks again!
Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: