Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing spare gas can, what wheel size?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Thing spare gas can, what wheel size? Reply with quote

I bought a really neat genuine VW gas can on thesamba, and tried to fit it in my Thingster.

As you can see it does not really fit in the 14" wheels.

I am thinking of putting (SP?) 15" wheels on my Thingster so that it is compatible with my 63 singlecab, so I have some spare 15" wheels. As you can see it fits perfectly in the 15" wheel.
The last pic is the bottom of the wheel well showing the tank in contact with the wheel.
Are there two different Thing spare gas can sizes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, It depends on how you look at it. They make two sizes. One for the 14" wheel (all U.S. models) and they make one for 15" wheel. I think the early model 181's came with 15" wheels. It is easy to tell just by looking at the top of the can which is which. Your can has two short indents and one long one (15"can) the 14" can has four short indents. The 15" can also holds a little more gas. But, unless you have an early thing with 15" wheels that is the wrong can. It is for other vw models.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am going to go to 15 inch bus wheels anyway. The only problem is that a 205x75-15 tyre when inflated is too fat and the hood does not shut, so I will have to get 185 15's, or have my spare pretty much deflated, and carry a 12 volt inflator.
turban
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: gas can 14'' or 15'' Reply with quote

Hi VW friends,

I´m looking for a gas can for my 65 bus dosn´t matter the size 14'' or 15'' the correct size of the Wheel i thing is 15''

Tks.

Hugo
turban
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Gas can Reply with quote

Hi,

My e-mail
[email protected]
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check ebay search "VW Spare Gas Can" there are several and they are not cheap.
GB
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe other European car manufacturers had similar design gas cans as accessories. The Genuine VW ones had the VW embossed on the can. BMW had a real nice looking one.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that fits my 14" spare, even though I run 15"s, discs up frontnot sure if a 15 will fit under the hood
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have a 15" wheel under my front lid. I don't know its width or the tire size off of the top of my head.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that I have big off-road wheels and tyres I am using my 15" gas can in my 63 singlecab. The Thing gas can id in the spare tyre under the truck bed.
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 165 - 15 on a Douglass 4" wheel, fits fine under the hood.
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 165 - 15 on a Douglass 4" wheel, fits fine under the hood.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bundeswehr also sourced some gas cans that are exactly the same as the originals with the exception of not having the VW symbol stamped in them. They occasionally show up for sale, but generally go for about the same price as genuine VW ones... I think Ralfs-VW-Teile in Germany used to have them, but I haven't spoken with him in quite some time.

BMW and Mercedes both had spare tire gas cans that had jerry can cam lock style caps. I can't remember who they used for their manufacture, but I have occasionally seen unbranded (as in not car brand) ones for sale on ebay.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
They make two sizes. One for the 14" wheel (all U.S. models) and they make one for 15" wheel. I think the early model 181's came with 15" wheels. It is easy to tell just by looking at the top of the can which is which. Your can has two short indents and one long one (15"can) the 14" can has four short indents. The 15" can also holds a little more gas. But, unless you have an early thing with 15" wheels that is the wrong can. It is for other vw models.

I dug up this thread because I was curious about the spare gas cans. I can add another wrinkle to this -- the description on how to identify the one for a 15-inch rim would also apply for one for a 16-inch rim. I stumbled across this eBay ad (US eBay but German source) ...

eBay ad here

There seems to be at least a $200 premium for this particular one. I'm guessing it is due to its size.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote I stumbled across this eBay ad (US eBay but German source) ...

eBay ad here

There seems to be at least a $200 premium for this particular one. I'm guessing it is due to its size.[/quote]

Hi
The pictures are from a 14'' wheel spare gas can ...
I don't think it exist for a 16'' wheel with a VW logo .
15'' wheel gas cans (original always with VW logo , for the 181) are even more rare and expensive : was only used a year and a few months Cool
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL, i BOUGHT MY 15" GAS CAN BY MISTAKE, AND THEN HAD TO CHANGE MY tHING OVER TO 15" WHEELS TO MATCH MY GAS CAN!!

Sorry about the caps lock.

Mine was no more expensive than a 14" gas can. $300.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: aftermarket Reply with quote

it's a shame someone doesn't make an aftermarket of the fuel can that nests in the spare tire.
I'd love to have one myself, or even a shaped plastic can that would fit in the front stowage area somehow.

I've found a few i'm mulling on but not purchaced anything yet.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes Benz has (or had) a spare fuel can that fit inside the spare. Not available in the USA though.
[img]
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachment.php?s=0...2131[/img]
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Mercedes Benz has (or had) a spare fuel can that fit inside the spare. Not available in the USA though.
[img]
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachment.php?s=0...2131[/img]

Are the MB cans illegal in the US or just not available?
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strelnik wrote:
Are the MB cans illegal in the US or just not available?

Don't know if MB is like VW. I do know getting Eos stuff (like wheels, suitcases, grille, etc.) was not allowed through US dealers or through VW dealers elsewhere unless it was offered here in the first place. I did get the suitcases from the German eBay and some doodle got the grille into the US and then sold it to me. I never had success with the Eos wheels I wanted.

All that said, do an eBay search for "spare wheel gas can" and "spare tire gas can" (more hits on the latter), and you will get options from MB, BMW, Volvo, and others. Some will require international shipping ... but ... even so, some are more cost effective than the vintage VW units if one only cares about the functionality of the cans rather than being vintage or manufacturer correct.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: