Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where should I move?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kman07 wrote:
Move up to Vancouver Island. Yeah it's wet here in the winter, but its not cold and there is a nice vw community, the fishing is great! And in the summer there are lot's of things to do.

Our site, http://www.vvwc.ca/

ive been to vancouver island, and its boring as sh*t. there is NOTHING to do.

if you're looking to go to college somewhere, pick a medium sized city, there will be tons of stuff to do and lots of girls to meet, though why you wouldnt stay in socal is beyond me, i went to central (calpoly slo) and i like it, but its boring on the weekends

id pick:
st louis MO
Portland OR
Seattle WA
San Francisco
ARIZONA STATE U is insane. u want fun... go there.
San Diego
New York
Boston

all those cities have great schools and ull have a lot of fun.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should move to Charleston, South Carolina, and transfer to the College of Charleston. The girl:guy ratio is 7:1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my buisness I meet alot of people that have moved away from So. Cal and wish they could come back but cant afford it. I have been to Oregon, Colorado, Nevada and Arizona and for all around good weather I will take So. Cal anyday. But if you leave you are not allowed to come back as it is to crowded here Laughing
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin, Texas and the University of Texas. 6th street in Austin is about the best place in the world for live music. There are tons of things to do and see there. I wouldn't mind going back, but I don't really like heat.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Captain
Ghia Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I am afraid of... actually being homesick for this overcrowded desert (so cal) with it's terrible drivers and Gorgeous women.

How do you guys feel about Australia? My dad regularly does business over there and he loves it... good weather (mostly) they speak english, and the big cities are not much different than LA or San Diego... Plus everyone likes australians and they don't even have a large enough army to bother ever going to war... It seems quite inviting to me.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to AUS, 6 months max with a work visa. I was offered a job there about 15 years ago, but would have had to come home for 6 months then go back for 6 months, then repeat the process. Couldhav'e had the endless summer.

When I was a child my dad was offered a full time job with housing in AUS but he would have had to take a oath to the queen and give up his US citizenship, he said noway. It would have been cool for me as a child though, I would have had dual citizenships and could have stayed as long as I wanted in both countries.

If I were you, stay here and get a place on the beach for the summer it's right around the corner. If I was to move anywhere else I would try AZ since they have a nice VW scene.

German Folks
Typ311Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Captain wrote:
Thats what I am afraid of... actually being homesick for this overcrowded desert (so cal) with it's terrible drivers and Gorgeous women.

How do you guys feel about Australia? My dad regularly does business over there and he loves it... good weather (mostly) they speak english, and the big cities are not much different than LA or San Diego... Plus everyone likes australians and they don't even have a large enough army to bother ever going to war... It seems quite inviting to me.

Been to Perth/Fremantle twice, and Sydney twice, Townsville once. Townsville was too small, Perth/Fremantle was like San Diego in a lot of ways, and Sydney is a major metropolitan city similar to San Fran. I loved Australia, the women extremely friendly, the beer way better than American beer, and great public transportation.

If I were you, I'd ask your Dad if you can accompany him on one of his business trips. If you like it, stay awhile, at least your Dad could visit you regularly.

Oh and as far as their Armed Forces go, they've served side by side us in every conflict since WWII....Korea, Vietnam, and both Gulf Wars. I Served with them before. They're very proud of their Armed Forces, Beer, and more importantly, Australian Football.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - Gen George S. Patton
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typ311Dave wrote:
The Captain wrote:

Been to Perth/Fremantle twice, and Sydney twice, Townsville once. Townsville was too small, Perth/Fremantle was like San Diego in a lot of ways, and Sydney is a major metropolitan city similar to San Fran. I loved Australia, the women extremely friendly, the beer way better than American beer, and great public transportation.

If I were you, I'd ask your Dad if you can accompany him on one of his business trips. If you like it, stay awhile, at least your Dad could visit you regularly.

Oh and as far as their Armed Forces go, they've served side by side us in every conflict since WWII....Korea, Vietnam, and both Gulf Wars. I Served with them before. They're very proud of their Armed Forces, Beer, and more importantly, Australian Football.

I have been to perth a few times and I thought the same thing, reminded me of cali but with nicer people.

On another note, I moved from Cali in 92 and I dont miss it at all.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Francisco Bay Area from San Francisco to San Jose.
Santa Cruz is cool also.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myzamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine who grew up in Riverside moved to Portland and loves how green it is.

and with Southwest home is never too far away.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
ive been to vancouver island, and its boring as sh*t. there is NOTHING to do.

you are probably boring as sh*t. it's not the islands fault. Wink

there is alot to do on the island. sure it's communities are a little smaller than most, but the people there know how to have a good time. clubs, restaurants, galleries, museums, and the like are all just as fine as anywhere else. and as far as outdoor activities, the list is endless. skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing, hiking, biking, camping, bungy jumping, surfing, swimming, parachuting, fresh water lakes, beaches and hot chicks with funny canadian accents!!

i'll second new zealand tho. i've never been, but i've got a few friends that have been there and they rave about it.

Zundfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:

ive been to vancouver island, and its boring as sh*t. there is NOTHING to do....
i went to central (calpoly slo) and i like it, but its boring on the weekends

Where ever you go... there you are.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle Washington, im moving there soon from socal. way nicer. and the UW is a kick ass college.
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorse wrote:
JSMskater wrote:

ive been to vancouver island, and its boring as sh*t. there is NOTHING to do....
i went to central (calpoly slo) and i like it, but its boring on the weekends

Where ever you go... there you are.

ill restate that... there isnt anything immediately in slo. theres plenty of cool stuff near the beach in grover and pismo.

ive been going to vancouver off an on since i was a baby, and the place is great for hiking and such, but there arent that many clubs and nightlife. mostly it suffers from the same problem as SLO... a considerable population of elderly people over 65.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but before transferring, maybe do a semester or two of study abroad? That way you get to check out exciting places, without making a big committment to something unknown. if your school has a co-op program, you could also do that in exotic places...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation of Boston. There are so many different schools to choose from and you can escape to Cape Cod for some R&R.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs'n'Pugs wrote:
You should move to Charleston, South Carolina, and transfer to the College of Charleston. The girl:guy ratio is 7:1.

I remember that well, I went to CofC '80-'83. It was a very guy friendly ratio.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Captain wrote:

You're young and this is the time for adventure. Definitely go to Oz. It will be an experience you'll never forget. I've been to Perth for a week during a port visit and the Australians were great hosts.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From someone who has lived on both coasts: I respect the folks out here in MA. Generally a sincere, generous, and outgoing population. It’s just WAY to dirty here in Boston to justify the prices they’re charging. Back to the Pac when I get done.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find these threads interesting on several levels, not the least of which is that someone can reduce the complexity of requirements for where to live down to a couple sentances (omitting job market, real estate prices, climate, desired environment urban/rural/etc.). Of course when I was younger less of that mattered to me too.

But what is most interesting is the respondents seem to fall into the following buckets:

People who love where they live, and not only will tell you why it is so great, but will argue with others that they should share their view.

People who kind of like where they live, but long to "go back" to someplace they used to live.

People who hate where they live, say it sucks, and wil probably never be totally happy anywhere.

Me, I live in MA (since '8Cool, about 35 miles from Boston. Although I have never been a city person, I do thing Boston is a really cool city, alhtough don't go there too much. I live on an isolated 3.3 acres in the woods in a town with a population of 3100. And I love it.

Lived in SC for 17 years it was OK, like to go back and visit, but no desire to go back and live there.

there are LOTS of places in this country that I think are really neat (like CA), visit often but I have ZERO desire to live there.

In '06 I drove an RV, my wife kids and dog 9500 miles all the way around this country (and western Canada). A life changing event, even more cool places I like to go but not live in.

I plan on retiring in Vermont.

To the OP, collect all the data you can, visit every place you can, make sure you understand the local economy, taxes, rents, traffic patterns, job markets, real estate, weather, etc. THEN make your decision.

Good luck.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: