Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't Make Me Shoot You!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Don't Make Me Shoot You! Reply with quote

Have you guys got that one friend who always comes over when you’re working on your car, and starts to give you advice? Which would be OK, IF it were at all helpful, or at least, short, or they at least owned an ACVW in the past.

Last night, I’m working on putting my recently cleaned/painted spring plates & swing ax tranny back in the car. So this (non-ACVW owning) “friend” comes over. He grabs a beer, sits down, and proceeds to tell me what I should be doing. First, he’s telling me that I’m setting up the spring plates wrong, and I don’t need that angle finder thing. I try to explain inner/outer splines, ride height, etc, but he insists I’m doing it wrong. Then he goes on to explain how to get the trans back in and attached to the spring plates. Finally I tell him “I didn’t just come home and find this in the garage and now I’m trying to figure how to get it out of here. I took this apart, so I do have some idea of how it goes back together.” But that does not shut him up. He immediately starts the “you oughta put a small block V8 in it” crap. Evil or Very Mad
I finally said I was tired and calling it a night, just to get rid of him.
I gotta stop keeping beer in the garage. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finishing up with the "V8" speech is bad enough, but drinking your beer and not being put to work is a worse crime.

You didn't have a ball-peen hammer handy to throw at him? Wink
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever someone comes over unanounced when I am working on something, I put them to work. I either have them push some cars around, or I point them towards some greasy parts and ask them to clean them up in the parts washer or I send them to quik-e-mart to get me a soda. seriously. I figure if they are going to waste my time without an appointment, I will waste a bit of their time.

I also lock the gate and close the door to keep people out, but some of them have keys....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
whenever someone comes over unanounced when I am working on something, I put them to work.

Yeah, I know a couple of guys who JUST WON'T come to my house, for that very reason. I have to beg/bribe them back. Too bad too. They were the helpful ones. Confused
This guy is just bothersome. Help me? He's never around when I need to push cars around. And God forbid that I ever invite him over.
Send him to the store? If I provide the money and keys to my Jeep. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine and I will help each other out from time to time- on both car and house projects.

He'll come over, drink beer, hand me tools, and make suggestions on how to take 'shortcuts' to get the job done faster.

I'll go over, drink his beer and give opinion as to why he should go to the store or junk yard and just replace the broken plastic bit of shit he's trying to epoxy/screw/clamp back together for two hours.

Its all in fun and I gotta say we both know when to STFU and really pitch in.
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of folks out there like your "friend". there are also guys like my friend Phil. He has a nice shop, and lets certain guys come over and work on their vehicles there. I was replacing the fuel tank on my old chevy truck one night at Phil's shop, and we had to take the bed off, so I left it overnight to come back and finish the next day. I got there at 9:00 AM, and something was amiss...The tailgate latch that was broken was fixed, and the bumper that was smashed was straightened. Phil said he got bored, so he fixed it. The new tank was also installed, and the bed was bolted back in place...he even remembered to put the breather tube back on the pumpkin. What a friend!!

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwayne prince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:
there are a lot of folks out there like your "friend". there are also guys like my friend Phil. He has a nice shop, and lets certain guys come over and work on their vehicles there. I was replacing the fuel tank on my old chevy truck one night at Phil's shop, and we had to take the bed off, so I left it overnight to come back and finish the next day. I got there at 9:00 AM, and something was amiss...The tailgate latch that was broken was fixed, and the bumper that was smashed was straightened. Phil said he got bored, so he fixed it. The new tank was also installed, and the bed was bolted back in place...he even remembered to put the breather tube back on the pumpkin. What a friend!!
i want phil to be my friend too!!!!!!!
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwayne prince wrote:
millerje78 wrote:
i want phil to be my friend too!!!!!!!

Ya know, your friend Phil needs to take a trip down south to, oh I don't know, Charleston. South Carolina.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not exactly a friend, but still "helpful"...
The idiot PO of a bus of miine had put only 2 of the 4 bolts holding the fan/generator plate into the fan shroud into place, but I hadn't noticed because it was the lower ones that were missing (either missing or just too loose so they backed out)
Anyway, the whole thing came loose enough to sling the fan belt, all of which I figured out when I pulled over after the generator light came on.
Anyway, I'm back there trying to put things back together, parked in front of a KOA campground, as that's just where we happened to pull off...
the campground manager, apparently concerned that we might scare away senior citizens in their mega RVs was trying to hurry us along, and suggested that I might need to replace the water pump.
Smile
helpful indeed...I just thanked him and kept working.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Make Me Shoot You! Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Have you guys got that one friend who always comes over when you’re working on your car, and starts to give you advice? Which would be OK, IF it were at all helpful, or at least, short, or they at least owned an ACVW in the past.

Last night, I’m working on putting my recently cleaned/painted spring plates & swing ax tranny back in the car. So this (non-ACVW owning) “friend” comes over. He grabs a beer, sits down, and proceeds to tell me what I should be doing. First, he’s telling me that I’m setting up the spring plates wrong, and I don’t need that angle finder thing. I try to explain inner/outer splines, ride height, etc, but he insists I’m doing it wrong. Then he goes on to explain how to get the trans back in and attached to the spring plates. Finally I tell him “I didn’t just come home and find this in the garage and now I’m trying to figure how to get it out of here. I took this apart, so I do have some idea of how it goes back together.” But that does not shut him up. He immediately starts the “you oughta put a small block V8 in it” crap. Evil or Very Mad
I finally said I was tired and calling it a night, just to get rid of him.

Maybe he was just razzing you and you just plain didn't get it. He was prolly having quite a bit of fun at your expense. However, sometimes you have to find a nice way to tell this type to just STFU already, AND to quit drinking your beer too! Twisted Evil
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Make Me Shoot You! Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:

You know, you might want to think about brewing and bottling your own beer. If you know what I mean. Wink
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:

Phils address please?
El Vocho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:

I think your friend may be a tweeker! Shocked
Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make him a sandwich with plenty of exlax on it. Make sure you let him know your bathroom is broken, before he gets the sandwich and beer.
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Vocho wrote:
millerje78 wrote:

I think your friend may be a tweeker! Shocked

Phil is just a good ole' fashioned nice guy! no dirt on that guys shoes. hard labor is his hobby, and he is very mechanically inclined. Its a privilage having him as a friend. He even ushered at my wedding. what a guy!!

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
Mosparx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to someone's house who is going to help me fix my bus, I bring beer. I ask them to SHOW me what they are doing, and let me do as much of the wrenching and dirty work as I am capable of. Plus I will do all the cleanup, then ask if there is anything I can help THEM with around there on their projects. Even if it is just chainsawing up a dead tree that fell in their yard. It's a cheap price for an education in repairing old VWs!
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosparx wrote:
When I go to someone's house who is going to help me fix my bus, I bring beer. I ask them to SHOW me what they are doing, and let me do as much of the wrenching and dirty work as I am capable of. Plus I will do all the cleanup, then ask if there is anything I can help THEM with around there on their projects. Even if it is just chainsawing up a dead tree that fell in their yard. It's a cheap price for an education in repairing old VWs!

another good man! this is what keeps the world going around. Cool

Mosparx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="millerje78
another good man! this is what keeps the world going around. Cool[/quote]
Ehh... that's just the Hippie/Amishman in me. My dad was big into Bartering and trading of services. It DOES seem to make the world go around a little smoother!

My idiot brother, OTOH will "Miraculously" arrive at my house on Sundays just before dinner, empty-handed. Eats all our chips & food, drinks all our pop, steals the Want Ads from my newspaper, then splits. He asked my wife recently, "Why doesnt my brother ever seem to be happy to see me when I come over?" LOL I swear he and I had different fathers! Shocked
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you should have just told him to STFU and help or leave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosparx wrote:
Ehh... that's just the Hippie/Amishman in me. My dad was big into Bartering and trading of services. It DOES seem to make the world go around a little smoother!

My idiot brother, OTOH will "Miraculously" arrive at my house on Sundays just before dinner, empty-handed. Eats all our chips & food, drinks all our pop, steals the Want Ads from my newspaper, then splits. He asked my wife recently, "Why doesnt my brother ever seem to be happy to see me when I come over?" LOL I swear he and I had different fathers! Shocked

hey, just noticed you are from Cleveland...you guys getting hammered with rain up there? ever make it down here to Holmes County? I will be heading up to the Q at the end of the month...I won a couple 7th row Cavs tickets at the trade show last week! Smile I'm not a Cavs fan, but I like having an excuse to go to Cleveland.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: