Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tom Petty is still the man
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Tom Petty is still the man Reply with quote

just got done watching the Super Bowl half-time show, and even though that band is looking old, they still got it. such simply melodies, simple rhythms, but such great music at its core. very american. I love it!

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? no tittie this time?
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
what? no tittie this time?

sorry skim, no wardrobe malfunctions this year.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britney was supposed to do it this year,but she's back in rehab Crying or Very sad
die schwarzen Schafe #666
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Willis wrote:
Britney was supposed to do it this year,but she's back in rehab Crying or Very sad

what a pity. Rolling Eyes

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Petty is still the man Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:
just got done watching the Super Bowl half-time show, and even though that band is looking old, they still got it. such simply melodies, simple rhythms, but such great music at its core. very american. I love it!

He's got that great "Traveling Wilburys" sound now more than ever. Very Happy
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Petty is still the man Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
millerje78 wrote:

He's got that great "Traveling Wilburys" sound now more than ever. Very Happy

Cool

Aircooledfool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best half time show in a while. They sounded great. I just want the Pats to step it up a little!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of the older bands that can pull off such a smooth show... Petty's vocals are better than most... virtually unchanged as far as I could tell and the lead guitarist nailed every lick just like the studio recordings... with a bit of live flare.

I missed not seeing the original drummer... that guy was great... in the old MTV video's and especially live when I saw them. Kind of stealing cue's from Mick Fleetwood but entertaining for sure. Wonder where he is?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
Not a lot of the older bands that can pull off such a smooth show... Petty's vocals are better than most... virtually unchanged as far as I could tell and the lead guitarist nailed every lick just like the studio recordings... with a bit of live flare.

I missed not seeing the original drummer... that guy was great... in the old MTV video's and especially live when I saw them. Kind of stealing cue's from Mick Fleetwood but entertaining for sure. Wonder where he is?

stan lynch hasn't been with the heartbreakers for a while...since mid 90s, but he did tour with the Eagles for a while during the hell freezes over tour. now he is teaching kids how to play the drums.

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

I like Tom, but I don't know about that.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
keifernet wrote:

Let me clarify...

I meant as far as most of the bands of that era coming out and playing live after all the years... he still sounds the same to me. Whether or not you ever liked his vocal style is subjective to argument Wink

The Eagles still have it... not so sure about a few others I have heard.
Some of them sound like shit compared to their "glory day's"
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chillz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

Let me clarify...

I meant as far as most of the bands of that era coming out and playing live after all the years... he still sounds the same to me. Whether or not you ever liked his vocal style is subjective to argument Wink

I heard "Kansas" a few years back, and boy did they sound like total ass! Listening to dust in the wind first made me want to cry, then made me want to puke.

http://www.animalsintheattic.com

Click to view image
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Petty is still the man Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:

Tom Petty is the man.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching it. Real pros with real talent.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
keifernet wrote:

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching it. Real pros with real talent.

A refreshing change from some of the past half time shows... although I remember Paul McCartney's show was very good too. Another old timer that still has it.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no Petty fan.. but it was a solid no frills rock-n-roll experience and was entertaining, and that is what it should be about. I'm pretty sick of seeing Superbowl halftime shows starring the flavor of the month lightweight popstars..and pop weasels devoid of talent.. and yes.. Janet, Prince, Brittany, Justin... lightweight drivel for the stars in their eyes, american idolesque teen set.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117

Last edited by 52HoffmanSplit on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillz1 wrote:
keifernet wrote:

Let me clarify...

I heard "Kansas" a few years back, and boy did they sound like total ass! Listening to dust in the wind first made me want to cry, then made me want to puke.

Amen to that. They SUCK. I saw them way back in the day, and they were really good live. The years certainly took their toll.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
keifernet wrote:

My good friend Doc Severenson would kick Tom Petty's butt.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Splitdog wrote:
keifernet wrote:

My good friend Doc Severenson would kick Tom Petty's butt.

Damn.. at least spell his name right... Doc Severinsen... and to real trumpet players like Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, Freddie Hubbard and even Maynard Ferguson.. Doc.. is considered a joke. Smile Although he was funny on the Tonight Show.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: