Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip: The Run to Castle Lake
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Shasta Snow Trip: The Run to Castle Lake Reply with quote

Chapter 4 of Bad Dog Racing's Epic Adventure in the SST.

It was evident Saturday morning that it snowed all night. A peak outside confirmed a couple more Buses had found their way to the Cold Creek Lodge. It was fridged cold and it seemed that no one was moving too fast.
Another patron staying at the Cold Creek Lodge was busy digging their vehicle out with the snow shovels provided by the lodge. It was a bit of a struggle for them to get moving, four wheel drive and all. They spun all four and slid around a bit before they got out of the parking lot. A few moments later a hired tractor showed up to plow the entrance to the parking lot area.
We emptied out the Mushroom Bus of any and all un-needed items. We wanted to travel as light as possible. Just tools, recovery items, a small food pack, and cameras. Today was going to be a day to romp and play in the snow. Temp guage inside the Bus was reading 21 degrees.
It was my turn to take the wheel and I was a bit nervous considering what we had already been through. We were amped to get back on the road and get going again. We were unsure of the day's activities and figured we get started by getting some coffee. We stopped at a local liquor store for smokes, batteries, and something with enough "proof" to warm us up at the rest stops.
As we pulled into a drive-thru coffee kiosk, our CB announced that we were being hailed. We checked in and found that some of the Teams were over at the Black Bear Cafe getting some food and coffee. We made a quick stop there to pickup some soveniours.
We did not have the chains on and we needed to get gas. I could tell right away that I was going to have problems driving. My eyesight is not 100% and I have issues with light sensitivety. The constant snow fall made it very difficult for me to see where the road ends and the snow bank starts. The fluffy white powder made it hard for me, one that already has a problem with depth perception. Well I made it over to the gas station and was instructed to park under the roof as far as possible so we can put the chains back on. This is where I got stuck, right there by the gas pumps. It was very embarrassing. Brian and Jason got on the rear bumper and did a little pushing to get me moving again. I relinquished driving chores back to Brian....nuff said.
We followed the first team leaving the cafe to one of the houses. There was a handful of people out in front contemplating todays events. We traded adventure stories and were amazed at various obstacles the teams encountered along the way.
I had a handful of conversations with some incredible people. I admired the teams from Missouri. They started this event a week before the start day making their way across the states in various weather conditions. Sometimes sleeping in the bed of the Single Cab, other times Cherie would sleep in the cab. Man!, that's roughing it. Cross-country in a Single Cab....unbelievable.
I spoke with the guys out of Santa Cruz, Team Surf City. Here is another hardcore Team. This Type 2 was outfitted with the right stuff, it was totally BadA$$. They were another power house and made it through the SST with ease. Along the way they helped out other teams offering advise and spare parts to those in need. I really wanted to hang with these guys today, but Team Surf City had other obligations and moments later they set sail for the trip home.
We hung out in front of the house for about an hour and it was obvious that it was going to take some time for some of the teams to get rolling. Keep in mind, some of these teams rolled in only a couple of hours ago.
We were getting ancy and longed for more adventure and challenge. I looked for another Type 2 to head out with us and found Joe Cool. Joe Cool was down! He was fueled up and ready to go. Like us, he is not one to wait around for others to get moving.
We checked our map and started to roll....destination Castle Lake!
We knew others would eventually follow in our tracks, after all it's a major stopping point according to the website. On the way out we saw Lou and Robin in the BussitHound. We urged them to go with us, but they had plans to get a belly full of food before heading to Castle Lake.
With Joe Cool as our Wingman, we made our way to Castle Lake Road. Well, we sorta got lost, driving back and forth along the same road. In one of our turn arounds, Joe Cool got stuck. Wasn't bad, just needed to jump on his rear bumper to get more traction. Once we got going again, another motorist pulled up along side us to see if we needed directions. This is how it was the whole trip. The locals where so nice and inviting. They would go out of their way to help out the vistors. Good People!
The Good Samaritan pointed us in the right direction and we were off. The road was wide, flat, and inviting us to get a little sideways. We took another page out of the SST website and started to do a little drifting. Man! We would get going about 40mph and just crank the wheel, getting sideways and sending out a rooster tail 60 feet behinds us. We got on the CB and encouraged Joe Cool to start pitching it hard. We told him we had the vid cam rolling. He started cranking out some killer drifts and then he took it too far and went around. It was so cool, we got it on video. We laughed our asses off.
Further down, the road started to narrow. We passed the point that the Snow Plow got to, and were now starting to get into deep stuff. We were digging it, loving it, and cinched down the harnesses a bit tighter.
We maintained a fairly fast pace following in the faint tire tracks that stretched out ahead of us. Joe Cool had fallen a bit behind and we slowed a couple of times to let him catch up. He spun a couple of more times but never got stuck. Joe Cool was making it happen. Joe Cool.....all by himself, he was moto'n and doing a helluva job.
A few more miles down the road and the tracks we had been following had ended. We were now on virgin snow. Nothing but fresh and fluffy snowfall on the path ahead of us. It seemed a bit surreal. We have been on similar roads the day before, but this was different. We moved along haul'in ass. We were maintaining a speed of 35mph, but it seemed much faster. We glided along, almost floating as we skimmed across the fresh powder. It was like blasting thru a long puddle, but it went on for miles. We sent a wave of fresh snow out of both sides of the Bus as we sped along. It must have looked so cool, imagine seeing and hearing a VW approaching at a good clip, nothing but a white blanket of snow ahead of it, and it is sending the white powder far out of both sides as races by. I wish I had video of that!
The road to Castle Lake is 14 miles long. It seemed that we were closing in on that mark. The snow continued to fall and the build up on the road got higher. It was starting to get real again. Our speed almost guarranteed that we would get stuck if we got off course. We would undoubtly plow deep into the rough with the momentum we had going. We didn't worry about it, after all we had Joe Cool with us.
It was about this time we heard Lou in the Bussithound on the CB. He was on the move, the 3rd Bus to find it's way onto Castle Lake Road. By his comments he was also rolling fast and blasting his way down the road.
We told him that we were already at Castle Lake and tipping cocktails.
He questioned us as to if we were really even on the road. Shortly after that conversation we came upon a wide sweeping right hand bend in the road. Still moving along at a good clip, Brian threw the Bus into a gnarly power slide and as we came out the other side we planted ourselves deep into the snow bank that marks the next uphill climb. It was Sick!
We were crackin' up. It was so Gnarly! One moment we are crossed up going 35mph and a moment later.....STICK! The impact was soft and gentle. The Snow caught us like a catchers mit.
Joe Cool was far enough behind us to slow down and come to a stop. We were so deep we could not get the doors open. It was so Rad!
Joe grabbed his shovel and dug us a hole so we can open the doors. We were stuck but not bad, not bad at all!. It was at this time that we figured mounting our shovel on the front bumper was not a great idea. It was under about 5 feet of snow. (Note to self: Mount Shovel in a better spot).
We took a break and enjoyed the moment. We got back on the CB to encourage Lou to join us at Castle Lake. Brian was telling him we made it all the way in without chains! Lou wasn't buying it, he had a handful of driving to do as he made his was up. A bit later he radioed that he spun and was in a snow bank. We asked him if he needed any help, but he had it handled. He was in a blind turn so he got on the CB to let others behind know he was dead center across the road. Lou was quickly rolling again as we maintained our story of being lake side and waiting.
While we waited for the others to catch up we dug out and moved our Buses into the wide clearing of the sweeping curve. We were confident that no one was going to get beyond where we planted ourselves. But who knows? Maybe Lou would take us to school and show us how it's done. If he could blast a path we would fall in right behind him. We set out our chairs, took a few pics, and relaxed. The excitement level was high. We monitored the chatter on the CB. It seemed that the rest of the pack was struggling to get up the road. Lou was paged a number of times for a report on road conditions.
Moments later we could hear a VW motor screamin' and around the corner comes Lou, WAAAAAAAAAAwaaaaaaaWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!blazing in a four wheel slide, sending a huge roost of snow out behind him. Through the windshield you could see him working the wheel. It was awesome! He drifted through the corner and did a plant similar to ours. It was Epic!
We were crackin'up at his gnarly arrival. Lou is Hella Hard Core!
We welcomed the new arrivals and toasted with a pull from a bottle of Yukon Jack. Buster hopped out, made his mark and then began to frolick in the snow. Buster was loving it, he is an awesome pet. He was celebrating his 4th or 5th Shasta Snow Trip.
Lou knew we didn't make it to Castle Lake, but he was impressed that we got to this point. We kicked back and waited for the others to join us. We monitored the CB and heard endless chatter of stuck vehicles. The snow fall continued, it seemed to be getting heavier. We partied a bit as we sat in our holding position.
A bit later it seemed that the caravan of Buses heading our way came to a halt. One of the lead vehicles threw a chain which wrapped around the axle and ripped up the brake line. I was sure this was the signal to turn around and head back down the hill. The snow was getting higher and we still needed to get out. I got on the CB and was hoping someone would confirm a turnaround. I was convinced no one was going to get any further up the hill. I again called for a Confirmed Turnaround.....again no one answered. Seems that no one was giving up. No one was ready to throw in the towel. It was still on, but would anyone else make it to this point?
We decided to pack up and head back down the hill. but before we started to move I took the now empty bottle of Yukon Jack and placed it on the road where we came to a stop. I reached forward and planted it in the snow beyond any footsteps or other disruptions in the snow. The thought was.....anyone that can bring us back that bottle would get a 2008 Shasta Snow Trip Patch.
We made our way down the hill to find the rest of the pack in a long line up behind the disabled Bus. It was on a uphill climb sitting on a stock VW Jack. It looked sketchy at best. The brake line needed to be pinched off for the Bus to have any brakes at all. A couple of ill attempts were made to secure the fluid loss. Then in true hero fashion Lou climbed under the Bus to make a repair. I was Shittin', this was dangerous. Last thing I wanted to see was this Bus start to roll. We made sure no one was climbing in the Bus or moving around it. Lou made the fix, got a big hug from the Bus owner, and a round of applause. I was relieved.
This moment brought a new wave of confidence over the group heading up the hill. They were determined to move on. I was reluctant to turn around to join them. Hey, we already been there and the snow was getting heavier. I talked with Lou and he said he was going back up. We, along with Joe cool crept around the long line of Buses headed uphill. We decided to make our way out while the getting was good. We parked after we cleared the pack and hiked back up to watch the action.
Lou spoke with Gene and suggested he take the lead back up the road. Gene opted to follow since Lou was familiar with the road.
Lou turned around and hammered it, blazing his way back up the hill. Man that Dude can Drive! The rest of the line slowly followed. Some needed a group of onlookers to push them just to get going. It looked hairy. I was sure we made the right decision to head back down the hill.
After we saw the last Bus launch up the hill we strapped back into our Bus to make our way out. A while later we heard on the CB that the pack made it to the same point we stopped at earlier. There had been so much snow fall that the bottle of Yukon Jack that I had planted was now snowed over and buried.
Lou got a running start and plowed as far as he could up the hill. He then backed out of the way and Gene made his attempt to blast through.
Ultimately Gene got the furthest down Castle Lake Road. but it was a matter of feet beyond our mark.
We motored back to the Lodge satisfied with our assault on Castle Lake Road. It was another day filled with fun, excitement, and challenges. Joe Cool was a great Guy to roll with. Every step of the way he was right behind us. He kept up and he rocked on! I promised Joel (his real name) a pair of my insulated coveralls with the SST patch sewn onto the back. He deserved it. We wanted to present him with this gift among the rest of the group. Sadly, Joe Cool made his way for the Interstate once we got off Castle Lake Road. He heard the road conditions on the radio and decided to go for it before they closed them down.
Joe......make sure you drop me a note so we can make a plan to get you these coveralls. You earned them Man! You Rock!
To wrap up this addition to the ongoing story of Bad Dog Racing's entry into the 2008 Shasta Snow Trip......let me just add that once again we were the first Bus out, and the first Bus back in!

I have more chapters to our SST saga.

Chapter 1 includes all the prep for our trip now at:
http://deutschstahl.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2604&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Chapter 2 A Four Wheel Adventure Will Soon Bring You Much Happiness
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278655

Chapter 3 Chasing The Ghost Of The Shasta Snow Trip
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278271

Chapter 4 Shasta Snow Trip: The Run to Castle Lake
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278417

Chapter 5 Shasta Snow Trip: "The Dog Leg"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278723

Chapter 6 Shasta Snow Trip: Preparation Is Everything
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278842

FOOTNOTE: I do not claim any of my recollections of this adventure to be accurate or true. This entire story may just be my imagination running wild. With that said, I have always found Truth to be funnier, stranger, and more far fetched than Fiction.

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!

Last edited by bad dog racing on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely you can see the Bottle of Yukon Jack placed at the point that we turned around....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SurfCityRacing wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...I was at the Black Bear with Team Idaho when we radio'd you! Eeej had a handheld CB and it was pretty entertaining calling you from the comfort of our booth!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
LOL...I was at the Black Bear with Team Idaho when we radio'd you! Eeej had a handheld CB and it was pretty entertaining calling you from the comfort of our booth!

Note to self: Add hand held unit to list of things for the 09' SST

SurfCityRacing wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: