Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A question for riviera rim fans
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggin'forfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: A question for riviera rim fans Reply with quote

In restoring some Rivieras I bought used recently, after using aircraft stripper (cheap thrill Laughing ) I found that the outer and inner rims were smooth, and the spokes were very rough. I would like to go fully polished but the spokes were obviously made to look different from the smoother inner and outer rings.
Looking at pics on some threads, I noticed mine do not have the raised rectangle on the spokes. I am starting to think these are aftermarket.

Any thoughts?

what have you seen done instead of a full polish??

I tried to insert a pic through the gallery, but my "image was too big or corrupted"
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still polish them, you'll just need to sand them first. I Sanded and polished one and then lost interest -plus, I'm lazy as hell. I don't remember the grits I used, but I started with something course and the last one I used was a wet paper that left the wheel almost looking polished. If you have any patience at all, I'd do that. You would have to sand them to chrome them if you wanted to go that way. Otherwise, raw or painted are your only other options.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a Chrome Shop could polish them out w/buffing wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggin'forfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help! I finally figured out how to place a picture.
Man, That seems like it would take a heck of a lot of sanding. Like you, I don't have that sort of patience. A shop would probably do it, but I'm trying to not spend a lot of cash.[img
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
]

Did the "real" Riv's with the elevated rectangle come smooth or did people sand them down as well??[/img]
skeeter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Something I know about!

The ORIGINAL Rivis looked a lot like yours.... curved spokes, and NO rectangle in the center. If yours aren't original, they're a VERY close match to them....

As for getting them sanded/polished, I'm sure a shop can do whatever masking is required, to keep what you want... Mine are aftermarket, so they have the rectangle, and I just had the whole thing polished.
buggin'forfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeeter, thanks for the news! I'm thinkn your right. I googled and found kinkymickshappywheelshack.com a vintage VW wheel site and there were my wheels! What a find!!

Now I guess I'll have to do a better job on the resto. In light of this news, I think I'll polish the inner and outer rims, and powder coat, or rattle-can the spokes a silverish color.

If anyone has any pics of original Riv's I'd love to see them.
skeeter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest against anything rattle-can on those rims... Best thing, IMHO, is to leave them exactly the way you bought them... polish them, maybe, but I wouldn't do anything more than that.... If you ever watch the Antiques Roadshow, the worst thing people do to their stuff is alter the appearance...
Andrij
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are cheap now~a~days & if you build it for the Antiques Roadshow, you might miss alot in life, IMHO. Build it how you want it, (there are always those barn finds for the purists)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrij wrote:
Things are cheap now~a~days & if you build it for the Antiques Roadshow, you might miss alot in life, IMHO. Build it how you want it, (there are always those barn finds for the purists)

Well stated! Amen brother!

You can also media blast the rims to clean and give them a mat finish too....great for painting them.....but if you use sand "USE A QUALITY MASK"!

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggin'forfun wrote:
Man, That seems like it would take a heck of a lot of sanding. Like you, I don't have that sort of patience. A shop would probably do it, but I'm trying to not spend a lot of cash.[img
]

Did the "real" Riv's with the elevated rectangle come smooth or did people sand them down as well??[/img]

that is a Formula V wheel offered by VW dealers. the riviera wheels were aftermarket copies of this wheel. and since there have been copies of copies and more copies of copies. the formula V wheel is slightly lighter than a riviera

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtsandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:
buggin'forfun wrote:
]

that is a Formula V wheel offered by VW dealers. the riviera wheels were aftermarket copies of this wheel. and since there have been copies of copies and more copies of copies. the formula V wheel is slightly lighter than a riviera

This is a very good site for these rims: http://www.type-14.com/wheels01.htm
Yes either 'Formula Vee' or 'G.T. Mag Type' rims. They are not Rivieras - rivs are aftermarket and were named after the dealership that helped develop these rims (Riviera Motors in Beaverton Oregon).
These are the thin lip version (what you have) that came on the two front tires of my T3. Initially I thought someone had sanded off the centers from a set of rivieras (fortunately I was incorrect).

These are a wide lip version

I've been slowly sanding down the wide lips to get them smooth on the spokes. I'll powdercoat them silver when I'm finished.
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of Formula V wheels that came with my 1974 Sun Bug convertible. Does anyone know what years these wheels were available as options? Would they be correct for my Sun Bug? I love the look of these whells and will keep them on the car, but I am just curious of what years they were available. Also, does anyone know where I can get replacement center caps?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of those (thin lip riv's) that I polished up. I did a black paint detail around the edge of the spokes sorta like a Porsche alloy. many many moons ago.

I used a scotch brite pad on a grinder to take down the rough casting surface on the spokes and then used a D.A. sander (aero orbital) to sand finer and finer grits till I could buff them with a die grinder cotton buffs and black rouge.

they weren't perfect but my own labour is free, they looked awesome at 35 mph.

I've been stripping, sanding and polishing the lips on a set of rims this week and it's a shit ton of work though. I'd forgot how much !
what I'm working on now seems alot harder alloy than those old rivs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtsandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris74 wrote:
I have a set of Formula V wheels that came with my 1974 Sun Bug convertible. Does anyone know what years these wheels were available as options? Would they be correct for my Sun Bug? I love the look of these whells and will keep them on the car, but I am just curious of what years they were available. Also, does anyone know where I can get replacement center caps?

best i can tell they started in 71. This is from a 71 T3 USA/Canada brochure for dealer options. These look like thin lips to me.

This is a sales brochure from a 71 super beetle showing dealer-only options - notice the rim looks.... odd.

This is out of a 73 VW Accessory Catalog

I don't know if they sold them in 74 or not. If they did they could have upgraded to them from the dealer. I'll look through the literature on the site later tonight and see if I can find more info.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude ! those are some sweet adds ! man I do not dig the riv hubcap Laughing
I see those on the street now and then.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my riv's for sale here on the Samba 15 years after I sold the car they were on. they were in Oregon and I'm in Seattle.
maybe I shoulda bought them back ? Confused

dirtsandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I found my riv's for sale here on the Samba 15 years after I sold the car they were on. they were in Oregon and I'm in Seattle.
maybe I shoulda bought them back ? Confused

For the life I me I couldn't picture it, but that looks pretty cool.
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dirtsandwich. I appriciate you looking. I love the look of the rims and plan on keeping them on my Sun Bug. Now I just need to put some elbow grease into cleaning and polishing them.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Riverias large center hole with WBC-1 and custom adapter that Jon at Topline made:

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what style of lug nuts were originally used with these rims? Also, what size would they be?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: