Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gray water tank!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2BOLLOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Gray water tank! Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anybody have a gray water tank?
This one should go under the drivers side wheel well,I think?
If you have one could you show some pic's to help me out. I have one that is from Germany and I want to fit it. I am not sure how it hooks up.
Any help would be great.
As always thanks for your time. Rolling Eyes
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bid on that when the price was low, sorry.
here's what you need:
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4757889&showprevnext=1
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these installed from the factory on mine (tourist delvery that was used for a caravan trip around Europe before heading to the states), in order to properly mount, you need the mounting kit. Im sure you could make something up though.

This company does have them listed, allthough I have heard that they might not ship to the states.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heres the link:
http://server2.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SESSIONID=0278485724003986&AnbieterID=4357

hopefuly that comes out and works.

Oh yea, mines made for models WITH A/C Cool

need2boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: aw water tank Reply with quote

The adventurewagen was stock with a water tank and they pop up from time to time used. They are a bit on the large side though but that's because aw's hold a lot more water then westies. Not sure if something like this would work?

You can see the drain cap at the end hanging.

JFF

1998 SAAB 900 SE Coupe: Black Swan
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have one of these installed from the factory on mine (tourist delvery that was used for a caravan trip around Europe before heading to the states), in order to properly mount, you need the mounting kit. Im sure you could make something up though.

This company does have them listed, allthough I have heard that they might not ship to the states.

heres the link:
http://server2.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SESSIONID=0278485724003986&AnbieterID=4357

hopefuly that comes out and works.

Oh yea, mines made for models WITH A/C Cool

Any chance you have pics of how those install brackets fit up? I've got one of these tanks sitting on a shelf in my garage. If I had a good idea of the best way to mount it, I'd tackle fabricating the needed parts. From the photo of the install kit it doesn't look that hard to make a few L-brackets and etc. from Home Depot work.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is one on e bay dirt cheap
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF wrote:

I don't see one.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:

Any chance you have pics of how those install brackets fit up? I've got one of these tanks sitting on a shelf in my garage. If I had a good idea of the best way to mount it, I'd tackle fabricating the needed parts. From the photo of the install kit it doesn't look that hard to make a few L-brackets and etc. from Home Depot work.

nothing on file, lemme try and get a shot of what I can tommorow if the weather is clear.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF wrote:

That one on EBAY sold for over a hundred bucks.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Question!

So Many Options. What will carry Gray Water? I've been around this in my noggin' for many a spell.
Do I put coin down for a Aftermarket item or use the DIY Gene?

DIY Gene. Humidifier water tanks. A flat solid bladder with a large cap. Or a Chemical container??? Found them both.

Hee, hee hee!

I'll get the info out there...
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: aw water tank Reply with quote

need2boat wrote:
The adventurewagen was stock with a water tank and they pop up from time to time used. They are a bit on the large side though but that's because aw's hold a lot more water then westies. Not sure if something like this would work?

You can see the drain cap at the end hanging.

JFF

Any "RV store" should have a catalog with many many sizes of holding tanks, one should be close enough, they typically have an exit but no entrance so you can put the "in" hole wherever works for you.

I've though of doing this, but it never really seems to be an issue to leave a little water on the ground.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the OEM is cool for the fit, but there's an easy way out.

When we pulled Nathan@el's kitchen unit at the junkyard, they wouldn't let us have the LP tank. Then we muffed up the copper tubing getting it out and home. Finally, the interior of his van has a nice wood floor, and the guy who did it (and who 'lost' the original kitchen unit) hadn't put in the holes for plumbing.

As you can guess, N was somewhat reluctant to shell out $400 for a new tank, tubing, etc., as well as not wanting to cut up the floor. So, smart guy that he is, here's what he did.

First, cut the gas tubing off inside the cabinet and fitted them up with new connections so he can run the stove and the fridge off of 1lb LP bottles, separately. Then he found a really nice plastic jug which was the right height and width to fit in the same cabinet. The sink drains straight into the jug.

So basically, he can swap out gas and grey water at will when camping w/o having to go outside. Not much of a benefit here in SoCal, but in Oregon where I come from, or NH where Nathan@el hails from, not having to go outside to deal with gas/water is plenty awesome.

I don't know if he's got any pix up somewhere, but I'll email him ~ maybe you can get a look at his setup. It's the holy grail: cheap, effective, simple.

Best,

Lanval
nathan@el
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not sure I would call my setup the "holy grail", as Lanval put it, but I do appreciate it!

It does have some major advantages though. 1) It was very cheap to construct. I think I spent all of 10 dollars for a fresh water tank type thing that I found at Wal*Mart. 2) It is also very simple to construct: It probably took me literally 5 minutes to figure the whole thing out, if that! 3) It's also pretty simple, which I like 4) I feel slightly more environmentally responsible, since my setup allows the option to dispose of the water in a controlled environment, if I want/need to. 5) And of course, most importantly, it works for me, so I'm happy.

On the possible negative side, it is not a very high tech system. Basically, I just rerouted the sink drain hose to drain directly into the tank. When I want to empty the tank, I pull out the drain hose, take the tank out of the van, and dump it somewhere. Works for me, but some people might like the option of just being able to dump the water directly onto the ground--with my setup, this is not really possible. Also, the tank only holds 10 gallons (I think?), so you have to watch to make sure you don't overflow the tank. Again, not a big deal. I do have eyes and I can use them to see where the water level is inside the tank. Finally, the tank does take up some space underneath the sink there in the cabinet (I had to remove the shelf to make it fit). Not a big problem for me either, but some people might like to maximize as much space as possible.

It's dark out right now, but I'll try to take some photos of the system tomorrow and post them. It's definitely a cheap, simple and effective way to add a gray water tank to your Westy. I've probably used it about 10 times now camping, without any complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about that i was on german e bay looking for a rear sliding window. Embarassed
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"First, cut the gas tubing off inside the cabinet and fitted them up with new connections so he can run the stove and the fridge off of 1lb LP bottles, separately. Then he found a really nice plastic jug which was the right height and width to fit in the same cabinet. The sink drains straight into the jug.

So basically, he can swap out gas and grey water at will when camping w/o having to go outside......."

So, he has no fresh water tank to hold fresh water? Or did he add another tank fitted under the sink to capture the grey water frome the sink? I ask only because I knew a fellow camper that did this on an early Westy: he routed the sink drain to the fresh water holding tank to use it as his grey water capture tank. He argued that the fresh water tank was useless to use for "fresh water", as the water would spoil in a day or two out in the wilderness. I told him that most tap water these days is heavily clorinated (spelling), and would be good for a few days. Besides, most use it for cleaning up the dishes rather than for drinking.

Good idea, so long as their is still a fresh water holding tank so you can carry fresh water with you when your camping at a location without fresh water hookup.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
CF wrote:

That one on EBAY sold for over a hundred bucks.

I've been playing ebay for about ten years, and one thing I have learned is do some research on what you'er buying. If it say's it's rare, make sure it is before you bid, or you maybe paying more then you could by just getting it from a regular vendor, at the retail price.
Ebay sellers can be liers, it makes it harder on the ones that try to be honest.
Look who won that auction.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mightyart, I thought the same thing! Why pay over $100 on eBay when a brand new one is available from a vendor for less. That's what happens when people get caught up in an auction.

I bought my tank for $35 from a guy here in Atlanta who was selling his Westy, and parting out all the stuff he has sitting on the shelf that he had never installed. Has never been installed. Also got a huge roll of B-Quiet from him for $20!!!

Maybe I'll throw my tank on eBay, and list it as Super-Rare and Mint!! That should be good for $150!!!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

Ebay sellers can be liers, it makes it harder on the ones that try to be honest.

Ebay has really become a haven for scoundrels, but there is hope, after may 2008 sellers will no longer be allowed to leave neg or neutral feedback for buyers as its simply retaliation %99 of the time when they do.

I know on the rare occasion I have wanted to leave neg feedback I have not because I know they would simply leave it for me, even though I always pay for the auction I win ASAP, usually within the minute the auction ends, at that point I fulfilled my end of the bargain and the buyer has no reason to leave me neg.

I'm sure we've all read the neg feedbacks along the lines of "Leave a neg get a neg".

"All the buyers" are trying to boycott ebay for a week at the end of this month, LOL

I try to only buy new from ebay, anything used where I am relying on the description of the buyer is usually a let down sold "As is" (understandable but when the pics specifically avoid the problems with the item, OBVIOUS problems, well, they need to make that right or, get a neg for misrepresenting their products.
[/off topic]

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
need2boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: To have or have not that is the question. Reply with quote

The adventurewagen's all came with Gray water tanks but I live and camp in the NE and most times I'm with other westies. I've never seen anyone have issues with the places we camped at. It may be different out west. Most westies just let'er rip out the bottom. Wink

When I was installing the AC this winter I considered pulling the tank but was able to work it out so everything fit.

JFF

1998 SAAB 900 SE Coupe: Black Swan
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
mightyart wrote:

Ebay has really become a haven for scoundrels, but there is hope, after may 2008 sellers will no longer be allowed to leave neg or neutral feedback for buyers as its simply retaliation %99 of the time when they do.

I know on the rare occasion I have wanted to leave neg feedback I have not because I know they would simply leave it for me, even though I always pay for the auction I win ASAP, usually within the minute the auction ends, at that point I fulfilled my end of the bargain and the buyer has no reason to leave me neg.

I'm sure we've all read the neg feedbacks along the lines of "Leave a neg get a neg".

"All the buyers" are trying to boycott ebay for a week at the end of this month, LOL

I try to only buy new from ebay, anything used where I am relying on the description of the buyer is usually a let down sold "As is" (understandable but when the pics specifically avoid the problems with the item, OBVIOUS problems, well, they need to make that right or, get a neg for misrepresenting their products.
[/off topic]

I buy much more then I sell on Ebay, most of the money I make goes towards buying more stuff.
I sell used things, but I also take returns.
If you like buying new stuff then the new Ebay is for you, but I like unique things that you can't get new anymore.
I bought a vanagon Dash pod last night for my 81, For about 6 months in 81 the speedos that were put in had a screw on cable not a clip on one.
Very hard to find the screw on type if you need it, but there it was.
With the new fees and changes it's driving the little sellers like me out.
I'm honest in my descriptions and my pictures are of the actual item I'm selling, so I don't make top dollar off anything.
Ebay sez it wants to get rid of the "Flea market" type feel, but that's what made it worthwile to me.
Sadly if you like buying the odd auto off ebay you're days of doing it might be numbered.
Here's the future of Ebay auto sales:
http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/02/the-gm-ebay-swe.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: