Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KdF symbols
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: KdF symbols Reply with quote

was wondering if anyone had any pictures of any of the symbles used on military beetles ....if u could post photos here that would be a great help ....
merlin42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for KDF logos which may have been on military vw's, or are you looking for the actual military markings? Two very different things. This shot shows several different military markings on my car. The door has delivery markings I believe, and the rear fender has markings for a staff car, and the Nordic rising sun which was a symbol for the SS Wiking division. (while the Nordic symbol predates the swastika, I do cover it when the car goes on the road.) If the markings are hard to see in the small photo here then go to my website and look at photos in the kdf section. Most are thumbnails so you can look at larger versions for more detail.
-Merlin
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
merlin42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to put my web address: www.hansonmechanical.com
-Merlin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwitch wrote:
well guys all i really wanted are some photos of some military symbles to possible put on my car that may have been on a VW back then ....

The only symbols I know of are on Kubels and few WW2 bugs, the most common is are from the African Korps (palm tree). The spinning KDF logo (as far as I know of) was only made during the Kubel prototypes. By the time they were officially released, they used different designed hubcaps.

It's part of VW history, we are VW enthusiast, hence some of use use that design on our shirts, etc. We don't wear it in support of the Nazi logo, it just seems like only 1 person here is close-minded enough to believe otherwise. If it's a clear nazi swastika behind a VW emblem, that's a different story. Are the same people insulted with the KDF cog logo design, since it once represented the nazi army factory? The same people should also be insulted driving any VW.

Back to the original thread, they're pretty much field markings so not really "official" VW stuff but ore WW2 history stuff. Some had swastikas in front of the trees, but obviously these were altered for the better

these are usually military standard text markings
OVLWNDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look here for tactical signs...
http://www.kubelwagen.co.uk/tatical%20signs%20page.htm
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin note:
The off-topic posts and insults have been moved to the Rants.

Please keep this topic related to the question at hand.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
44kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
During WWII VWs military machines would have been marked with the tactical signs dependent on the German military unit to whicjh they were assigned - so they would potentially have carried a had very wide range of divisional markings and specific unit markings etc

this website might help you .......

http://www.deutschesoldaten.com/vehicles/markings.htm

Cj
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a period when VW used the 'spinning swastika' logo for anything?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

]
Quote:
Splitdog Posted: Yesterday, 11:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it was used on a lot of parts at the car. Here is an inside pic of my doorhandle. It was on lots of not very visible parts as steering rods etc. On some even up to 1949/1950.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way. I followed this dicussion very interested bacause I usually react quite sensible on nazi symbles used anywhere. "Swastika" to me is a name for the sign when used in a historic case. Like this many hundred years old roman floor.

It was in use in many cultures and countries as a positive sign for luck, light etc. It had totally lost this meaning after it was abused by the nazis.
Today it stands for their terible crimes and shall not be shown in any way.
In Germany it is totally forbidden. This guy for example was accused even for selling these stickers, to fight against nazis, just because the sign was on.

To me the sign with this VW and the "spinning" swastika is just VW related and I do not mind much as long as it is shown with a VW meaning and not for any nazi support. Today most people do not even recognize it as a "Hakenkreuz" (swastika). Guys like the one on the last pic shall eat shit and drop dead if you ask me.

Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
]
Quote:
Splitdog Posted: Yesterday, 11:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it was used on a lot of parts at the car. Here is an inside pic of my doorhandle. It was on lots of not very visible parts as steering rods etc. On some even up to 1949/1950.

Interesting, I've never seen that stamping used before. The hubcaps I've only seen on Kubel prototype pictures and never seen them on actual production made Kubels or any other VW, besides modern day repros.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to my pics? Was it a problem to show that?
chipmcluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

EverettB wrote:
Admin note:
The off-topic posts and insults have been moved to the Rants.

Please keep this topic related to the question at hand.
[/quote]
44kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends
Personally - I totally understand the fact that symbols of the Third Reich may offend some people. I am a WWII German reenactor who owns a Type 82 and the subject of displaying symbols and emblems from that era in our history is one which we have had to address time and time again as reenactors.

We have a policy of presenting a 'disclaimer' to the public explaining that we show history as it was and we explain that to try and change history would be doing an injustice to the heroes who sacrificed themselves for our freedom.

I am of the opinion that as long as these symbols/emblems are shown in their proper context - ie on WWII period restored machines - then I can't see (and nor can the any of the thousands of public I have met) see that there is any probelm with displaying these symbols.

Best wishes from Ireland
CJ

www.wartimeliving.co.uk
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

Sorry, I was not aware they were in use and non-VW photos get deleted from the Samba Gallery.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greg Menego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same situation here in South Africa....forever explaining our way as to the reason for displaying offensive signs etc. History is what it is and nothing is going to alter or erase it...!
Greg
South Africa. Mad

44kubel wrote:
Friends
Personally - I totally understand the fact that symbols of the Third Reich may offend some people. I am a WWII German reenactor who owns a Type 82 and the subject of displaying symbols and emblems from that era in our history is one which we have had to address time and time again as reenactors.

We have a policy of presenting a 'disclaimer' to the public explaining that we show history as it was and we explain that to try and change history would be doing an injustice to the heroes who sacrificed themselves for our freedom.

I am of the opinion that as long as these symbols/emblems are shown in their proper context - ie on WWII period restored machines - then I can't see (and nor can the any of the thousands of public I have met) see that there is any probelm with displaying these symbols.

Best wishes from Ireland
CJ

www.wartimeliving.co.uk
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cogged logo is more common than the stylised swastika (windmill) logo, although it survived well past the war on moulded parts.

The cog part of the logo was seen as being just as offensive as the swastika post war (it was used for other branches of nazism), but now this is forgotten, lol, these symbols only have the meaning we choose to give them, the swastika predates hitler by over a thousand years. In this context they are nothing more than historic relics.

Cheers!
VolkswagenVWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: The ultimate KDF symbol ! Reply with quote

This is not supposed to be a political statement of any kind, simply historical. I sure as heck don't support anything nazi, but I came across this item while searching for KDF parts at an auction.

undoubtedly given to the highest ranking officials attending the laying of the first stone in the foundation of the Volkswagen plant at Fallersleben...today's Wolfsburg, Germany. The bust is numbered 1 out of a series of 20. An inscription in relief appears beneath an image of a Volkswagen "beetle" and swastika which also appear on the pedestal: "Laying of the foundation stone 26 May 1938 For the City of the KdF cars by our supreme leader. On May 26, 1938 Adolf Hitler laid the foundation stone of Volkwagen AG in the small village of Fallersleben, in Lower Saxon. Five days later, the City of Fallersleben was founded. The city, designed as a home for the workers producing the "KdF-Wagen", was officially named "Stadt des KdF-Wagens bei Fallersleben". On May 25, 1945 the British renamed the city "Wolfsburg", of course not realizing that "Wolf" was Hitler's nickname used by intimates. Wolfsburg remains the headquarters of Volkswagen AG and the site of the largest auto plant in the world. Note: Over the course of the years since 1938 a vandal inscribed the initials of Arno Breker on this sculpture, which cannot at this time be attributed to that artist. Nonetheless, this is a piece of great historical relevance.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
longboard511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that bust is as fake as the cigarette cases and the watches bearing that beetle
VolkswagenVWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes you think that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: