Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Vanagon cruise control wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AHainisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: 86 Vanagon cruise control wiring Reply with quote

I inadvertently pulled the wires from the cruise control switch (part of the turn signal lever) on the steering wheel out of the plastic connector that attaches to the harness connector from the cruise control main control module. I just need to know which wires from the switch (red, blue, black and white) match up with which wires from the control module (brown, yellow, red, and orange). If someone with a cruise control in an 86 Vanagon just looks under the lower plastic cover of the steering column they will see the connectors. Thanks so much.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be very interested in this, as the aftermarket cruise units use the same color codes (at least on the one I have). RED, BLUE, BLACK, and WHITE are used on my aftermarket switch on the steering column. I used an ohm meter to test which wire went to each function on the switch. If this is needed, let me know, as I wrote down in my Bentley which wire went to what function (I.E. red is power on/off, blue is resume, etc).

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to my public folder and download:
Vanagon Wiring Diagram.pdf

Go to page 7 and it has the wire colors and connector positions

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...mp;lang=en
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AHainisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out Dogpilot's wiring diagram, but the colors don't match the harnesses I have in my 86 Vanagon. Maybe mine is an after market cruise control.

Bucko-if you have the wires from the cruise control switch that mounts on the steering column terminating in a harness connector, could you let me know in what order they are arranged in the connector. The female connector I pulled off of the wires from the switch is a 6 hole plastic rectangle with two ridges on the bottom (that line up with the two grooves on trhe bottom of the male connector going to the control module). The holes are arranged in 3 across and 2 down. The male connector that has the wiring intact has the following wires attached (looking at the end into which the female connector goes): upper left-yellow: lower left-red; upper middle-brown; lower middle-orange; upper and lower right are empty. If you could tell me what is the wiring arrangement in the female harness from the switch (again, for the red, blue, white and black wires) and what there function is also, I think I could tell you what terminals in the control module they go to based on how they line up with the male wires. Hope this is not too confusing.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time take a photo BEFORE you take it apart
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHainisch wrote:
I checked out Dogpilot's wiring diagram, but the colors don't match the harnesses I have in my 86 Vanagon. Maybe mine is an after market cruise control.
Bucko-if you have the wires from the cruise control switch that mounts on the steering column terminating in a harness connector, could you let me know in what order they are arranged in the connector. The female connector I pulled off of the wires from the switch is a 6 hole plastic rectangle with two ridges on the bottom (that line up with the two grooves on trhe bottom of the male connector going to the control module). The holes are arranged in 3 across and 2 down. The male connector that has the wiring intact has the following wires attached (looking at the end into which the female connector goes): upper left-yellow: lower left-red; upper middle-brown; lower middle-orange; upper and lower right are empty. If you could tell me what is the wiring arrangement in the female harness from the switch (again, for the red, blue, white and black wires) and what there function is also, I think I could tell you what terminals in the control module they go to based on how they line up with the male wires. Hope this is not too confusing.

I cannot help you in the "connector" area, as the previous owner cut the connector off on my setup; there are just the bare wires sitting. I'm confident mine is an aftermarket unit, and I have most of the stock VW pieces to install cruise. That is why I am interested in this thread; I want to connect the aftermarket cruise stauk to the VW cruise box.

You MUST have an aftermarket cruise unit, as you are correct in that your color codes do not match up at all with the schematic.

Can you locate the cruise box? It should have a name on it. Perhaps then you can Google it in hopes that the company is still around, and that a schematic is available (or instruction sheet).

Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Rostra cruise control site, download the Ultra Cruise manual. It has instructions for figuring out different switches on different models on page 21.

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Go to the Rostra cruise control site, download the Ultra Cruise manual. It has instructions for figuring out different switches on different models on page 21.

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm

I found the "Universal Application Installation and Owners Manual" Is that what you are refering to?

On it's page 21, there is indeed a troubleshooting section, and it shows two swithes, but both use a "RED, BROWN, DARK GREEN, YELLOW" color code for the switch wiring. Red is on, brown is off, dark green to red is set, and yellow to red is resume.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: