Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pulled 60 trans
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: pulled 60 trans Reply with quote

So I just pulled my engine/trans and waiting for some parts to get here.

Im replacing the trans with one out of another 60.

Replacing the rear main seal, input shaft seal, trans mounts and axle boots.
And all the brake components.

What else do I need to look out for?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced the original 59 crash box tranny in my car (December 1958) with a unit from later that model year.

I would recommend you verify that the replacement tranny has not been upgraded to 12 volt. You can verify this by looking at the inner diameter of your current 6v starter bushing and comparing it to the bushing in the replacement tranny. The 6v unit will have a larger inner diameter. My bug has been converted to 12 volt and has a 12 volt starter and a 6 volt flywheel, but the replacement tranny was still 6 volt. I didn't check carefully and as a result the smaller 12 volt starter pinion was slapping around in the larger 6 volt bushing and wreaking havoc on my flywheel.

I caught this and corrected it but had to yank the engine a second time, tap the 12 volt bushing out of my "old" trans and put it in the "new" trans.

As your car is still 6volt, I think you may not experience this any way since the larger 6 volt starter pinion probably wouldn't even fit in the smaller inner diameter 12 volt tranny starter bushing.

How do you like the crash-box tranny? I am not too satisfied with mine and am ready to switch to a later synchro'ed unit since I am tired of the noise and having to stop completely to shift into first!

Ted
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a crash box was a tranny with no syncro's at all.
They are, ah, interesting to drive (I've only driven one- an early 50's American LaFrance fire engine)
I've always thought the non syncro first is part of the charm of an older vw
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the collar that the hockey stick rides in. They are kinda pressed in, but I've seen them move around with the shift rod when the get worn.

Inexpensive part, and much easier to replace with the trans out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
I thought a crash box was a tranny with no syncro's at all.

I've always thought the non syncro first is part of the charm of an older vw

crashbox trans not used after october 1,1952.. the zwitter came with syncro 2nd,3rd and 4th. splitcase is term for oct 52-august 1,1960 then full syncro(tunnel case) 1,2,3,4 but reverse has never been syncro.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: