Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help - dead spot after plug change
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my 66 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Help - dead spot after plug change Reply with quote

I installed new plugs and wires today and I have to say that it really made a difference.. I am curious as to why I have a dead spot in accelerating..The dead spot is after a gear change. Once I am up to crusing speed she rolls right along..Thanks for your help, Dave
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dist, engine, carb, etc. please. We cant help you without those details.

1969 documented numbers matching bug
1968 F250

Keepin the ISS from colliding with space junk
my 66 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock 1966 1300 .. Thanks
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 66 bug wrote:
Stock 1966 1300 .. Thanks

OKay, then, you realy did not answer me as far as vacuum vs. mechanical dist, O.G. carb or not, 12 volt, 6 volt. But if you claim everything O.G. is there, then I am guessing you have a 30 PICT-1 carb and dist 231137009 (not the other 009). The flat spot maybe a vacuum leak somewhere, or an airleak and it gets compensated for when you hit the gas.

One more thing, when do you shift. Do you shift out of 1st after 15 mph, 2nd after 25, 3rd 45? Shifting to early may cause that.

1968 F250

my 66 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel as if I owe an appology for asking such a stupid question without giving the needed details..The dead spot or hesitation was there before the plug and wire change..It is still 6 volt and I assume that the dist and carb are stock although I am not a German mechanic..I have posted a picture of the underhood in my gallery.. Dave
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://w2.wolfsburgii.com/downloads.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 66 bug wrote:
I feel as if I owe an appology for asking such a stupid question without giving the needed details..The dead spot or hesitation was there before the plug and wire change..It is still 6 volt and I assume that the dist and carb are stock although I am not a German mechanic..I have posted a picture of the underhood in my gallery.. Dave

THere is no such a thing as a stupid question,and you did not know what I wanted (specifics), but ask whatever you want. Change your fuel filter, better yet, move that puppy under your gas tank. Have you ever replaced those lines? That flat spot should go away. You are suppose to change that when it is brown, not almost black (change it every 3000 miles, they are $1.50, call it cheap insurance). If that does not work, then carb tuning is in order. Reason being, fuel is not reaching the carb probably, but there is enough to keep you going. As you turn the engine, the pump pumps faster, thus probably giving more fuel, and giving you smooth acceleration. Dont forget, when you shift, you drop RPMs, to that clogged fuel filter maybe the culprit. For the record, they never had those from the factory. There is also a filter in your tank. Probably want to check that too sometime, not right this second, but soon.

P.S. they look like they are correct for the year, the dist and carb. The dist is probably O.G. but unable to tell without the number.

1968 F250

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of spark plugs did you install, by the way? ( If they were Platinums I'd ditch them and get some copper cores instead. Or just try cleaning up your old plugs and putting them back in and see if that makes any difference)
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: