Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2180cc Problems???
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazz_Jazckson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: 2180cc Problems??? Reply with quote

I Put together a 2180 with a FK8 Engle cam i made sure the timing marks were set up rite and fireing order was correct and checked EVERYTHING but when I start it it knocks and runs for 3 sec den cuts off sound like a timing issue. I even tried retarding and advancing the cam HELP?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that you did the valve adjustment wrong? Possibly one #3 when you thought you were on #1?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz,

I am going to push your buttons a little. Do you even know what you are looking at or doing with with an engine? Advancing or retarding timing on the cam is for advanced players. You do NOT mess w/ that kind of thing if you are just trying to run or tune a motor.

Install the cam "straight up" and go from there. Also, adjusting the valve lash on that type of cam is LOBE by LOBE!!! You do NOT adjust the lash like stock at all. Adjust one lobe at a time in its FULL CYCLE. Try "loose-zero" for clearance.

I hope your rocker geometry is correct. Or that engine will eat a valve or pushrod.

Start the timing at "zero degrees" and get her to run. Then slowly give her the proper timing and adjust to appropriate idle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Jazz,

I am going to push your buttons a little. Do you even know what you are looking at or doing with with an engine? Advancing or retarding timing on the cam is for advanced players. You do NOT mess w/ that kind of thing if you are just trying to run or tune a motor.

Install the cam "straight up" and go from there. Also, adjusting the valve lash on that type of cam is LOBE by LOBE!!! You do NOT adjust the lash like stock at all. Adjust one lobe at a time in its FULL CYCLE. Try "loose-zero" for clearance.

I hope your rocker geometry is correct. Or that engine will eat a valve or pushrod.

Start the timing at "zero degrees" and get her to run. Then slowly give her the proper timing and adjust to appropriate idle.

sometimes it's best to start at the beginning and reset everything to the default setting.

It works on computers and on engines.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissy drive 180 out? Firing order would appear to be correct but in fact would be 180 out.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
Dissy drive 180 out? Firing order would appear to be correct but in fact would be 180 out.

that's why i asked if he's sure he was on #1. You have to check for overlap on #3 to be sure you're at TDC for #1.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: