Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

I see you value your time at 0.
About 10 years ago, I left home on a road trip with fresh points. Before I got home, the points were so bad, starting the car was very difficult. I bought the Pertronix so I wouldn't have to dick around with such trivial items while on a road trip. I prefer reliability over saving a few pennies.

Your points will start to degrade after only a few thousand miles. A Pertronix never degrades.

-UPDATE-
Here's what happened to me just last week. I took off in my 67 bug to get some gasoline, on the way back car started bucking and running rough. I've only had the car about a month but it ran great up until this point. No pun intended.

As I was turning in the driveway it quit graveyard dead. When I isolated the problem troubleshooting it turned out to be a Petronix module which had gone bad all at once as they are known to do. Your neat little story from a few years ago came back to me as did this thread.

In your story your car ran bad but you did make it home with a points system .I would have been stranded without warning. Saving a few pennies you say , yes I'm saving more than pennies and possibly the cost of a tow. As I stated earlier if a person understands how to install and maintain a points system the reliability cannot be beat and it is cheaper.

I can buy at least ten sets of points which will last me a few hundred thousand miles and chances are I'll get an advance warning of impending failure instead of being being dead on the road.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In July, I ran across the US and back home with points in my 2165 cc engine powered Manx II Buggy. I just drove to Cincinnati OH and back yesterday to the VW and Porsche Reunion and now have around 8500 miles on the points without any adjustments made other than to advance the timing in CO when we ran Pike's Peak and Mount Evans.

I do carry a set of points as back up, and then one set of the electronic ignition as back up to the back up.

For no other reason than what it is worth.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love the upgrade of a HALL EFFECT ignition trigger, but in the tropics humidity can cause misfire with this type of upgrade.

Bruce wrote:

Your points will start to degrade after only a few thousand miles. A Pertronix never degrades.

Bruce I disagree with both statements., no worries tho, to each their own.

I like the upgrade because customers can't burn their points when listening to the radio.

Last edited by Spezialist on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the hang up with changing points lies in the method and tools. First off remove the entire distributor and take it to a well lighted area with a bench vise. Now you can see and perform your tasks standing, or sitting if you got a chair. It also helps to have the little screwdriver which holds screws upside down using spring pressure.snap on, Mac and even craftsman make these It's not an expensive tool but keeps you from dropping the screw. You know it as its aluminum and clips to your pocket. Usually has a magnet on the other end.

Finally you need to be using Bosch grease which is specifically made for distributor lubrication and use a light oil to lubricate the wick under the rotor. You can with practice set it all up on the bench reinstall into the car and be within spec on the dwell and very close on timing as well. A person that knows how to do this would probably take less than 15 minutes max. Those arguing the set it and forget it mentality of electronics are probably either weak in their mechanical skills or getting older and looking for an easier way out. To them I would say its better to become familiar with your car using this opportunity to look the whole thing over while you are in there.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 pages of debate on this subject! The only thing more amazing is anyone is still using points!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
22 pages of debate on this subject! The only thing more amazing is anyone is still using points!

Bullshit, if you read it all you come to the conclusion that both systems have merit either that or you ate a lot of paint chips when you were a kid. I'd bet it was the paint chips
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

Luckily enough of the replacements fail so they can sell more.

Most people that complain about points don't know how to set them... it's not that hard. Easier than walking and chewing gum at the same time.

My car starts instantly, revs to 6800rpm with no bounce and last for many miles.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting points is becoming a lost art--kinda like driving a manual. Until some manufacturer comes up with a far better pointless system, I will keep my Bosch points.

Tim
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when the solar flares happen in the next 13 months that produce a massive EMP that fries all electronics, the point equipped vee wees will RULE in the ensuing chaos!
:2gunfire:

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do folks keep spitting that load out of their mouth? Saying someone likes the points replacement module because they don't know how to set points shows how utterly ignorant the poster is. I can properly install and set the dwell on a set of points in no time. Grew up doing it. I can properly install brake shoes and hardware, too(including arcing the shoes) but I still prefer my four wheel disc brakes. Just like I like my Porsche wheels, turbo engine, and many other things I do to my vws to satisfy *me*!
P.S. I'm still pretty sure the pertronix I'm running that I bought in the early 90s has been "cheaper" than points and condensors,... "just sayin"

GEX has. Just sayin
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
And when the solar flares happen in the next 13 months that produce a massive EMP that fries all electronics, the point equipped vee wees will RULE in the ensuing chaos!
:2gunfire:

Laughing My grandpa was talking about that not too long ago, he was telling my sister "When the bombs go off, this car will last." Then pointed at her Jetta "That definitely won't"

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think LET ME THINK FOR A SEC.

At a min of 3 engines a month was 36 a yr and 10 yrs was 360 and at 28 yrs was over the 1000. One point on a sat morning had 3 long blocks (running) on the floor for a buyer to hear....yea guess I qualify and NO I'm NOT GEX.
1968-1996
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Think LET ME THINK FOR A SEC.....yea guess I qualify and NO I'm NOT GEX.1968-1996

let me think for a sec........ qualify for what Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
HRVW wrote:
Think LET ME THINK FOR A SEC.....yea guess I qualify and NO I'm NOT GEX.1968-1996

let me think for a sec........ qualify for what Question

HE'S commenting on BUGINVA sigline above.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

Way to stir the pot. Twisted Evil
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed anyone is still using distributors.

Laughing

Max
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
HE'S commenting on BUGINVA sigline above.

And this has what to do with points vs electronic ignition Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
cyclecostarica wrote:
there is 20 pages of stuff here and I did read a lot of it but I saw nothing on using points with an electronic box.

My petronix II died

I now have points triggering a FORD TFI ignition module. It is working better than I expected.

Further stirring pot. Still running points/TFI module. Have not adjusted points going on one year.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
modok wrote:
cyclecostarica wrote:
there is 20 pages of stuff here and I did read a lot of it but I saw nothing on using points with an electronic box.

My petronix II died

I now have points triggering a FORD TFI ignition module. It is working better than I expected.

Further stirring pot. Still running points/TFI module. Have not adjusted points going on one year.
I'll help stir.... early 90s installed pertronix in a distributor. The distributor has been moved to several engines since and I've not bothered it! It triggers a Mallory now

GEX has. Just sayin
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Think LET ME THINK FOR A SEC.

At a min of 3 engines a month was 36 a yr and 10 yrs was 360 and at 28 yrs was over the 1000. One point on a sat morning had 3 long blocks (running) on the floor for a buyer to hear....yea guess I qualify and NO I'm NOT GEX.
1968-1996
I'm pretty sure you miss the entire point of that in my signature.

GEX has. Just sayin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 37

Jump to: