Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix (all points replacements) vs Points
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 pages later and Petronix is still the perfect answer for gen Xers and the geriatric crowd that can't bend over to do maintenance on a stock distributor. Say what you want I can still buy five sets of points and condensers and drive hundreds of thousands of miles for what you'll pay for a one time purchase of pertronix . My advice, learn how to properly maintain your car instead of looking for a pussy way out. Very Happy
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 years later the Pertronix still works. I want to say I paid about $80 at the time. I haven't even touched it. Your time is worth something too.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
13 years later the Pertronix still works. I want to say I paid about $80 at the time. I haven't even touched it. Your time is worth something too.

12 years later I haven't had to do a tuneup to my wife's Accord. It still has the original spark plugs and runs great.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my '02 Grand Prix to 254k with one tune up at 150k
.[/quote]
12 years later I haven't had to do a tuneup to my wife's Accord. It still has the original spark plugs and runs great.[/quote]
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49 3/4 years and over 3 million miles, one kidney and one knee replacement. No points or Pertronix, just plenty of Mountain Dew.

Could break down tomorrow though.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fadumpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read 5 pages in before I had to give up.
Very little usage results from both crowds and more pointless bickering then I could handle.

From what I can gather, points replacement is a great upgrade to your car as long as you keep in mind that a failure is always possible no matter what your choice and you should probably keep a spare set of points, condensor, and coil in your toolbox, because even though it's the preferred method by non-lazy people, it's still not going to be on the average order form of the store you broke down near.

Beyond that, the only thing stopping a person from having less maintenance worries is having an innate need to do that maintenance.

To respond to the Honda/Toyota response....I can't drive "my" Honda because it's my wife's...the beetle is my only way to work and needs to just work.

I don't want a Toyota...so why shouldn't I make the required changes to make my car work?
It was also mentioned about disc brakes, etc....and yes, front disc was a great upgrade and rear disc will be another great upgrade that I will make. If nothing else, drum brakes *sound* like too much maintenance involved, why would I not want better stopping and less maintenance on something I have to use daily?

I have a 1974 standard...if it was a 50's or early 60's, I would be morally required to keep it bone stock.

It would have been much nicer if people went against human nature and just weighed in on their choice and why and kinda almost left it at that.
This back and forth junk gave us endless pages of meaningless argument and obvious realizations (sprinkled on top).
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
24 pages later and Petronix is still the perfect answer for gen Xers and the geriatric crowd that can't bend over to do maintenance on a stock distributor. Say what you want I can still buy five sets of points and condensers and drive hundreds of thousands of miles for what you'll pay for a one time purchase of pertronix . My advice, learn how to properly maintain your car instead of looking for a pussy way out. Very Happy

Hey, lets be real here. I'm 15 and have been working on VW's since day one, seriously. I prefer points, maybe because they're easy to find, and maybe because I enjoy working on me and my dads buses and beetles.

Then again, big 1915 turbo motors don't turn me on and I think a well tuned 36 is better than any as41 i can ever get. I like my 1300 in my 65 and my 1600dp with points in both with easy start up, good power, and smooth operation.

Ok, stupid question time Laughing Laughing
Where does one buy points lube?
James
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
Ok, stupid question time Laughing Laughing
Where does one buy points lube?
James

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Distributor-Grease-Bosch-G...mp;vxp=mtr

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To confirm, as Muir said, a small dab between cam and points block (thingy that touches the skinny shaft and makes the points open and close in case my terminology sucks)
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
modok wrote:
cyclecostarica wrote:
there is 20 pages of stuff here and I did read a lot of it but I saw nothing on using points with an electronic box.

My petronix II died

I now have points triggering a FORD TFI ignition module. It is working better than I expected.

Further stirring pot. Still running points/TFI module. Have not adjusted points going on one year.

Haven't adjusted them yet. It's been two years now. How many miles?? I didn't keep track but probably 8000 roughly.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ad fuel to the fire:

I had my first set of points break in 45,000 miles. It was a cheap brand from Asia; I do not remember the name. The upper arm for the moving contact came off the guide pin and bent the entire arm. I did not notice any reduced performance, though my fuel economy took a slight hit and my tach was a little jumpy around 2,000 RPMs. I found these in a swap meet bin and they were used but I swapped them in as an experiment in January.

I'm voting for points here. Because if you use the good ones, this doesn't happen. And if you don't use the good ones and the crap ones break, your car still runs fine.

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
platatomi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a points-replacement device fail. I parked the car, and three hours later it would not start, no spark at all. I checked that I had power to the coil and fuel in the carbs, then swapped in my backup distributor with points, static-timed the engine, and drove home. I drove on that device for almost three years, thought it would last forever. They fail when you least expect it.

Update -

No longer daily driver but still fixing things...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platatomi wrote:
They fail when you least expect it.

Nobody expects it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Glenn.

fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect it.
itsmebryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a lot of different ignition setups over the last 27 years. From the point on my first car '56 F100 pickup to coil on plugs crank triggered turbo e85 running 370+ whp Subaru that I tune myself on my laptop.

Point are the worst setup by far. They are the least accurate , prone to float, produce less power, etc... I even had a dual point setup on my '69 fastback Mustang that I put a 351C into because the single points would start to float around 6000rpms. And like all points they wear, the gap and dwell reduce and the contact get carbon build up and your performance slow starts to degrade every time you run you engine. That is a fact. You don't notice because it is a slow process that you become accustom to. Just like when I only drive my Subaru everyday it doesn't seem as fast because I get use to it even thought I have track it and it ran low 12's to high 11's. I don't really feel it is that fast unless I drive my old '92 Suburban(200hp) for awhile then go back to the Subaru.

For those that say electronic ignitions(EI) fail are really not being honest. Anything can fail and to say EI is more likely to fail is not true. Give it a good ground and power source and they will last much longer than point and will give you accurate timing over a much larger rpm range. On all of my old cars the first thing I do is throw away points and add EI and a MSD. On my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix w/ 400(bored to 412) and tri-power (3 x 2bbl carbs) I added EI and MSD and the car starts quicker , runs smoother , pulls harder, and runs better overall.

I know a lot of people do like change or want to keep a car like it was from the "factory" I get that but, the facts are EI is better than point. period. They stopped putting points in cars in the 70's for a reason. Everyone here who has a car build after the '70s has EI in the car they drive everyday and don't have a second thought about their EI failing but, for some reason it's a worry or a problem on a old VW Beetle. ? That is as bad as a friend of mine that bought a '88 mustang to race and took off the fuel injection because he thought carburetors are better. And we all know that is the farthest from the truth. But, in his old way of thinking cabs are the best. That is the say thing I think about the people that say points are better.

After all these year we seen and experienced proof that EI is better than points. But, the real argument should be what is the best EI option for VW Beetles not if points are better. I got the vac adv. electronic Flamethrower for my 1776 for Amazon for $122(2 day free shipping with prime). But, later I saw a vac. adv. electronic distributor available at Autozone for $121 with a coil and a lifetime warranty. Has anyone tried this one http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/distributo...0865_4618/ With a lifetime warranty if seems like a better option then my flamethrower. Especially if the cap, rotor, and coil is covered by the lifetime warranty like they do with brake pads.
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest though, what is 1 or 2 horsepower on an engine that produces 50 on a good day. I can understand where you're coming from, but when they do fail (Electronic ignitions, I've seen it happen), you better have a replacement set. With points, from personal experience and others stated, they tend to wear slowly, therefore giving you a gentle reminder that you're due for an oil change and valve check. After all, points only take 5 mins to adjust, lube, and file. Im fine with carrying an extra set of points and condensers, a points file, and points lube as a back up. Yes, for a water- cooled, 375 horse power, flame throwing engine, points are bound to suck, but for a tiny little 1.3 liter 44hp engine, Ill stick with points.
Click to view image
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

platatomi wrote:
I just had a points-replacement device fail. I parked the car, and three hours later it would not start,

Pertronix? What is the primary resistance of your coil?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsmebryan wrote:

For those that say electronic ignitions(EI) fail are really not being honest. Anything can fail and to say EI is more likely to fail is not true.

108* ambients. EI module failure at less than 800 miles. Is this the type of reliability you speak of? I'm a small sample set, of exactly one, but this is NOT acceptable. Without onboard water and spare points, humans can die in these conditions.

The EI modules for cars that came with them are hundreds of dollars. The ACVW modules are in a "who can make the cheapest shit" arms race that does nothing for the customers. Not all modules are created equally. The only ones that CAN fit in our cars that are bulletproof often require a special distributor (Mallory) or entirely new ignition system. They're great products, but they don't jive with the fact that these cars were, from the factory, reliable, cheap, economical, and fun. Points are all of those. EI modules are one of those.

I would gladly pay hundreds of dollars for an EI system that drops in to my stock distributor, is 100% waterproof, is 100% EMF proof, fails gracefully with a warning, (my last points gave me 200 miles of SLIGHTLY jittery spark at 2k RPM,) and is guaranteed to not leave me and my family stuck in the desert. No aftermarket ACVW modules offer that, because the companies that make them wouldn't make any money that way. Cheap electronic shit made in the 21st century is NOT something we should be idolizing. Everyone who has a Pertronix that lasts a long time bought it many years ago. They got wise to that and the reports of failed modules are MUCH higher these days than when they were first available for our cars.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 37

Jump to: