Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 356 engine in a Manx...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't he the guy that invented the tube that goes between the pan and the transmission? Very Happy
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say do both: get yourself a VW engine that you can use to get it motoring, while you spend some time getting that 356 motor back up to snuff.
GTMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$250!! (THUDDD) I just fell off my chair!

Nice find!

-M
lazybonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 250 i would of bought it sight unseen and had my trucker pick it up and bring it back.

http://s475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/LongIslandManx/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

If its gonna be repainted, I would also move the fuel filler to the rear center of the tank though, besides looking a lot better, its safer.

And how, exactly, is the fuel tank made 'safer' by moving the filler to the rear center of the tank?

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Tommy Bowden that was/is a coach for Clemson?

bnc
SCOOPER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be a different guy, it is my understanding this fellow is decesed, full name was Otto Thomas Bowden. I've sent an e-mail to Bruce Meyers, we'll see if he knows anything of the car...

Coop
engineerorange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
There's Tommy Bowden that was/is a coach for Clemson?

bnc

He is still on the payroll. And he better make something out of all the good recruits he got this year.

I am sure he is not the Tommy Bowden that drove that buggy though. You want I should ask him while I am down at a game this fall?? Rolling Eyes
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

If its gonna be repainted, I would also move the fuel filler to the rear center of the tank though, besides looking a lot better, its safer.

And how, exactly, is the fuel tank made 'safer' by moving the filler to the rear center of the tank?

bnc

When you have the head on wreck in the buggy one evening just after you filled the tank, and you manage to get it slowed enough that the impact doesn't kill you and for about a second you believe you've dodged fates bullet.

However, when you built your buggy you decided to leave your fuel filler neck in the stock location on the tank, but you didn't like how it stuck out, so you shortened the neck a couple inches so it would be flush with the hood where it comes out next to the headlight. So now you've survived the head on, but your fuel filler is mounted low and forward on the hood, right beside the headlight.

Well guess what took impact in the wreck. Everything back to the front beam was smashed in the blink of an eye. The filler cap which was right out in front and actually a bit in front of the beam, got popped of like a cork. When you were hitting the brakes (and the other vehicle), the fuel just kept moving forward looking for some way out. Now with no cap, the fuel comes gushing out out like water from a fire hose.

Speaking of fire hoses, now you're wishing you had one because the fuel has sprayed the headlight which is just a couple inches from the filler and the headlight was turned on and got smashed in the wreck and now is arcing. That's the moment you really wish you had relocated that dam fuel filler.

If you had blanked off the original filler neck when you relocated the filler neck to the top rear of the tank, the fuel would have stayed in the tank because the impact wasn't hard enough to rupture it.
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
For the cost of properly rebuilding that 70-90hp 356 engine you can build a brand new 140hp Type 1 engine that will be very reliable.

Then sell the 356 motor to pay for the restoration of the Manx. The cost of rebuilding my 912 motor was $5K+ in 1996.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
BL3Manx wrote:

bnc

I don't know if it's safer but it allows you to use all of the gas tank if you mount it more towards the rear as it's higher on the tank.
JiI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believ this one he won't get a dime for that 356 motor....

I've put mine up for sale afew times,, and nothing,, it's my guess about the only one left that still has a storker crank and setup with IDA's ,, it runs just over 175 hp
SCOOPER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I believe the engine has some value, especially if I wanted to part it out. I haven't torn the engine apart yet, and unless I find something catastrophic inside, I'm going to rebuild the motor and use it in the car. Like BL3Manx said, this car has some great history, and maybe some stories to tell, so I am going to keep it as period correct as I can. I'm kinda torn wheather to use the Berrien tube chassis I bought for it now, but I also want to drive it and get the most handling out of it that I can, and I will probably do some slalom racing with it occassionally, so the frame makes sense in that light. I also plan on up-grading the brakes as well. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming...

Coop
MDmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:
If it were mine.

I'd take the money you saved on the purchase and bring it back to it's former glory. (engine, logo and all) That car needs to look like the day it was finished and be ready to go another 40 years.

I totally agree with this, That car is too cool! Bring it back to its original glory!! You gota find some more history on this car. I know the engine isnt going to be cheap, but I'm glad youve decided to keep it. $250!?! Shocked Nice find... You might even be able to save the original flake. Remeber they are only original once...

I was able to refresh mine with a buffer and some 3M polish compound

BEFORE:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AFTER:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for that wonderful story BL3manx...... Now I never want to drive my car again... Rolling Eyes

Please post more pictures of this wonderful car!

-Brian
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
I'm going to say do both: get yourself a VW engine that you can use to get it motoring, while you spend some time getting that 356 motor back up to snuff.

Good call!!!!
I'd love to see that one back on the road!! A writeup of the history would be cool too!
JiI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there maybe a photo of that buggy in the meyers site ?.. I know I've seen the back of it before..
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting the same feeling......
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Tommy Bowden. All I could find was some football coach. Can football players/ coaches drive?
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should ask Jesu- er, I mean Bruce Meyers. He knows all, sees all...
lazybonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coop i posted a tread in the manx club with some of the pictures maybe someone there has info on it.

Ron

http://s475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/LongIslandManx/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: