Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Split Window Club of America ?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: VW Split Window Club of America ? Reply with quote

My zwitter came with a 3" dia. metal badge with 2 nuts on the back and a picture of a split window from the rear and the words "Split Window Club of America". Does anyone have any information about this club. I purchased the Zwitter in 1975 in Connecticut, not sure if it was a local or national club.

Thanks,
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mention of the club president here:

http://members.shaw.ca/sharkeysgarage/me.html

Maybe contact the owner of that page???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall it was a national club, and at the time I was a member ('80s), it was run by Mr. Slater who was located in Washington state. Not sure whatever became of it after that.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe ( and forgive me if I'm wrong) that Jeff Slater passed away, and the club just kinda dwindled after that...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I believe ( and forgive me if I'm wrong) that Jeff Slater passed away, and the club just kinda dwindled after that...

Oh boy, I'm sorry to hear that--he was not an old guy, as I recall.

Didn't he take it over from Dierickx or Gilmore? Were one of those guys the founder?
-----
-----
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be interesting to resurrect that club again.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That leads me into my next question, is there such a group or club for split windows? Ok Ok no comments about a zwitter not being a real split, I know they are the adopted redheaded stepchildren of the split family but until I am done paying for kids in college or Bill Gates adopts me I will have to wait to have a "real split". But then again people tell me they made VW's after 1967? (that remark gets some great looks from members in our local club Wink )

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
That leads me into my next question, is there such a group or club for split windows?

Not that I'm aware of--"in the traditional club sense" that is (dues, newsletters, etc.)--the internet seems to have changed a lot of the way that folks need/want to communicate/associate, in my view (as John comments in his other split window club poll thread).

Is there any other info about your Zwitter's early history in Connecticut? Just curious as I am in CT, and started going to antique VW meets back in the early '80s. It'd be interesting to find out if I may have ever met your car's previous owner, etc...
-----
-----
-----
-----
Thanks Veterans
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Split Window Club of America Reply with quote

I am not aware of the health (or lack of) concerning Jeff Slater, but it was Steve Wood that passed.
This club, based in Washington State held a yearly gatering that was always one to travel to attend.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Jeff Slater hasnt passed away, He was in a serious auto accident 10+ years ago and hasnt been as involved in the VW scene since. But still has a few cars and does occasionaly attends VW shows.
hawaii five-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How coincidental!

I was just reading an old issue of hotVWs which featured Jeff Slater's, I think Azure blue '52 or '53 (I can't remember at the moment) Dec '87 issue? I was trying to search him on the forums and internet to see if he was still around, and was curious if that club is still around. I didn't find anything, but I think he's either a teacher, or associated w/a university , or some kind of accountant of some sort. Anyways...

empiracer wrote:
He was in a serious auto accident 10+ years ago and hasnt been as involved in the VW scene since. But still has a few cars and does occasionaly attends VW shows.

Was he involved in an accident in one of his vintage VWs?

Sorry to hear about Mr. Steve Wood also. I was also curious about his whereabouts because again, I was just reading about his '51 barndoor in the magazine as well.

It's sad to hear because these guys are the guys who I read about, dream about their cars, and admire/respect them for being involved in the vintage scene long ago. They were the trailblazers to what it has become today.

Anyways...thanks for the post (I was just reading about them!) Rolling Eyes
47bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to have a window decal from the Split Window Club of America. Anyone got an original to copy???
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawaii five-o wrote:
Was he involved in an accident in one of his vintage VWs?

He was driving his clean daily Late 60's -70's era Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Club of America Reply with quote

Zwitter wrote:
I am not aware of the health (or lack of) concerning Jeff Slater, but it was Steve Wood that passed.
This club, based in Washington State held a yearly gatering that was always one to travel to attend.

Not Steven Wood from VA who used to post here???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not the same guy, Steve Wood in Seattle had a great collection of early VW's. One of which is the Heb that Rich '50 ended up with. He passed away in the mid 90's from cancer.

Last edited by empiracer on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff used to also restore semaphores. He is very good at it too.
If you see this sticker, it's a Slater semaphore.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Btw empiracer, we should hook up for a cold one soon. I have some info on the subjects we were talking about at the brewery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new unused Split Window Club sticker, I'm not sure if I could get a good photo of it without peeling the backing off it but I will look for it and try, I recently moved and I'm even more disorganized than usual lately, will look for it though !
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
61vdubbug
Wildlife Wookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Club of America Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Zwitter wrote:

Not Steven Wood from VA who used to post here???

Steven is still kickin it. Just saw him a few weeks ago.
52 Split Beetle

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." - Muhammad Ali
Ed Economy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Split Window club Reply with quote

Here is a original sticker

It is a window sticker so you are looking thru the paper
Ed Economy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Steve Woods From Seattle Reply with quote

Steve Woods was way ahead of his time, Not only did he start the Vw Split window club, He started the original Barn Door Registry. Here is a photo from the 80’s I had known Steve for a short while. When we arrived in Seattle for a Vintage VW meet he gave me the keys to his Kubel Wagen, Jeff Walters the keys to his Barn Door Kombi, Charley Hamill the keys to his Barn Door Panel, He drove one of his splits. We all had cars for the weekend. Steve is the guy in the back with the blue jacket on.

As Steve was dying slowly but too fast he had time to think what he wanted to do with each car & his great collection of stuff. In his last days Steve contacted most of us and gifted us each with something from his collection. Bill Dierickx took care of his estate to make sure Steve’s young daughter was covered.

I believe if the Split Window club was ever brought back it should be in the memory of Steve Woods. He is missed but will never be forgotten.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: