Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 368, 369, 370 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a little Funky Green metal to drivers side. Recreates the grooved seams very nicely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I noticed a gas smell and drip from the 76 panel this last week. Today - with a sun break - I jump under the bus and find the offending hose.

It looked to be an original - from manufacturer FI return hose. So I clamp it at the tank, pull it off on the motor side - then it all goes to shit.

Clamp pops off. So I grab it to plug it. Nope. Its so far gone it breaks by the tank. Now gas is all over me, the ground......

So I throw some buckets under it all and capture at least 5 gallons and lose maybe 3-4.

What a farking mess. I still smell like gas after a 20 min shower. Rolling Eyes

Its now all fixed.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dillon70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a product from Lowes that is used for roofing flashing sealing. It is the same in theory, but a little thinner so, I just doubled up in a few areas. I spent around $40 and did all panels, doors, cieling and engine bay.
Some people don't like it, but I think it worked great and at a fraction of the cost of Dynomat. I live in sunny Ca. and it was almost 80 here last week and it gives off zero smell. I have heard some talk about one tpe vs. another, but I am glad I used this and will put the money I saved to better use. I drove her around yesterday and just have to laugh at how quite she is from inside.
AMAZING!!!!!!

1979 911 (235 hp)
1970 Chimney Pop Top (120 hp) SRFBUS1
1990 Vanagon (95 hp)
1985 Vanagon GL (85 hp)
1969 Tin Top 1 owner OG
Can I get any slower?
2015 CC R-Line (heavily mod'd)
pitbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillon70 wrote:
I used a product from Lowes that is used for roofing flashing sealing. It is the same in theory, but a little thinner so, I just doubled up in a few areas. I spent around $40 and did all panels, doors, cieling and engine bay.
Some people don't like it, but I think it worked great and at a fraction of the cost of Dynomat. I live in sunny Ca. and it was almost 80 here last week and it gives off zero smell. I have heard some talk about one tpe vs. another, but I am glad I used this and will put the money I saved to better use. I drove her around yesterday and just have to laugh at how quite she is from inside.
AMAZING!!!!!!

I've used everywhere but the roof on my 71 Bay, but getting ready to install a BamBoomWagens headliner in the next 2 weeks, I'm doing the same to my roof, its 80 this week too in west Texas Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more of what I did with it, then what I did to it. LOL Today I finally got to take my single wheel trailer for a test run. Very Happy I didn't even notice it back there. Only bad thing is I can't see it back there either. We are going to put a pole on the back so I can at least see where the back of the trailer is. Lane changes will be more of a challenge, but I will just allow a lot more space and try to be in the lane I need to be in, well in advance before a turn.

It past the Starbucks Drive Thru test. Very Happy

My next project is to build a lid for it. That will help keep the rain out and stuff in. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcruzin wrote:
This is more of what I did with it, then what I did to it. LOL Today I finally got to take my single wheel trailer for a test run. Very Happy I didn't even notice it back there. Only bad thing is I can't see it back there either. We are going to put a pole on the back so I can at least see where the back of the trailer is. Lane changes will be more of a challenge, but I will just allow a lot more space and try to be in the lane I need to be in, well in advance before a turn.

It past the Starbucks Drive Thru test. Very Happy

My next project is to build a lid for it. That will help keep the rain out and stuff in. Very Happy

how about one of those sand buggy whip antennas? that would work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I had the drivers side floor out of the bus, I figured there would never be a better time to change the fluid in the steering box. I vacuumed 9 ounces out and refilled with 75w-140 hypoid gear oil. That old oil showed every bit of its 44 year age, it was more like molasses than oil, though the box was full and I doubt I have ever topped it off. It's nearly impossible to access from below. Might just crank that around in there while I finish final fitting of the new floor, then change it again.

Probably not too many 44 year old oils still in active use.

Once I realized that you can suck out at least 3/4 of the fluid with a vacuum pump and a piece of vacuum hose, I thought I should have done it decades ago. There really is a good bit of clearance inside the box for the suction hose to get near the bottom. Volkswagen just wouldn't have thought to add a fluid change to the maintenance interval. A 44 year life span wasn't really in their planning.

'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chubber wrote:
Volkswagen just wouldn't have thought to add a fluid change to the maintenance interval. A 44 year life span wasn't really in their planning.

Most steering boxes on these bus's have leaked the oil out of the pitman arm seal after x amount of years. A lot of times, those seals where changed and the box's oil was topped back up. If your steering box seals lasted 44 years, that's pretty amazing.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So I noticed a gas smell and drip from the 76 panel this last week. Today - with a sun break - I jump under the bus and find the offending hose.

It looked to be an original - from manufacturer FI return hose. So I clamp it at the tank, pull it off on the motor side - then it all goes to shit.

Clamp pops off. So I grab it to plug it. Nope. Its so far gone it breaks by the tank. Now gas is all over me, the ground......

So I throw some buckets under it all and capture at least 5 gallons and lose maybe 3-4.

What a farking mess. I still smell like gas after a 20 min shower. Rolling Eyes

Its now all fixed.

HAHAHA

way to go jason. wish i couldve watched that happen.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ah who am i kidding...i wouldve jumped in to help rather then just stand and laugh at you. Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Caliper replacement..almost Reply with quote

I'm sick and tired of not being able to get bolts and nuts loose myself. Spent an hour just trying to get the lug nuts off that the shop tightened with an air tool. Crimony.

Snapped off a socket adapter using my breaker bar. Bent my 4-by using a pipe to extend leverage. Nearly stripped one of the lugs (note to self - carry a spare).

Finally got them to break with a fixed socket wrench and the pipe. Sheesh.

By the time I got the van on jack stands and the tires off I ran out of daylight. Crossing my fingers for clear skies tomorrow.

Any advice on air tools will be appreciated. Minimum compressor strength, brands to avoid/seek, etc. While the pipe extender is well and good for lug nuts (more like magic), there are tight spaces underneath where that just wont work.

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^the largest tank you can afford/store. Good air tools are way better than cheap ones when it comes to impact guns or ratchets.

Got the garage up to 35 after an hour and a half of running the heat. Got both coolant pipes mounted on the rails. Time to cut the holes.

PA safety and emissions inspector
General Motors guru
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Chubber wrote:
Volkswagen just wouldn't have thought to add a fluid change to the maintenance interval. A 44 year life span wasn't really in their planning.

Most steering boxes on these bus's have leaked the oil out of the pitman arm seal after x amount of years. A lot of times, those seals where changed and the box's oil was topped back up. If your steering box seals lasted 44 years, that's pretty amazing.

Agreed, my friends were amazed that I had never changed it. But our family has had the bus since 1973 and I've owned it since 1988 and I know I've never changed either the seal or the fluid. It's only a bit oily around the filler hole. I hope the new, more fluid oil doesn't decide that now is the time to start leaking around the original seals.
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
pitbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were going to pull and rebuild steering box because there was a lot of play, we quickly saw that it was not, it was a VERY loose drag link Rolling Eyes Got a new one on the way for next weekend's project. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of work...need to update my project thread w/ pics. Since the Fall;

Installed LED 3rd brake light
Added lots of soundproofing...a lot more to go
Repaired/replaced both rear corners and battery trays
Removed original diagnostic port wiring mess
Properly wired up aux battery and tested original relay
Pulled and sealed headers/exhaust
Repainted muffler and new seals all around

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I finished up a complete rear axle bearing R&R (both sides) and installed on new CV axle. No more clunking/wobble and no CV clicking.

Now to look over the rest of the long list for winter repairs.....
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I discovered that the large rubber stopper that screws into the sliding door (along the front) is the key part that I was missing which prevented me from ever getting the door to work properly!!

Unfortunately without it, the door had been making slight contact with the b-pillar and chipped the (new) paint off both sides. But at least now I can fix it. Maybe I'll even be able to close it from the inside this summer! Smile

kkjellquist wrote:
Lots of work...need to update my project thread w/ pics. Since the Fall;

Installed LED 3rd brake light
Added lots of soundproofing...a lot more to go
Repaired/replaced both rear corners and battery trays
Removed original diagnostic port wiring mess
Properly wired up aux battery and tested original relay
Pulled and sealed headers/exhaust
Repainted muffler and new seals all around

Are you putting any deadening on the bulk heads? I've been sound proofing all week and can't decide. They're completely internal, but they resonate a lot if you knock on them.
I am doing the lower 1 ft of them as that's wheel well.
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:

Are you putting any deadening on the bulk heads?

Do you mean the base of the seats? If so, yes. Sound is vibration of course and I suspect isolating the driver from vibration is part of the equation.

I just did Pergo flooring and I'm kicking myself for not putting it under that at the time!

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: 2 right side calipers and wrong pads...again Reply with quote

Last week the bolts didn't fit the right side caliper that the shop had sold me. But while I had the bus up, decided to put the new brake pads in on the left side - only to find it to needs to be replaced.

Back to the shop on Monday to return the wrong caliper and order both front calipers - the correct ones. This time dropped off the cores too.

Today, installed right side caliper. So easy. Phew. But the pads that they sold me - and I had them double check that they were giving me the right ones - don't seem to be right. No notches on the backing plates that fit against the caliper pistons. Somewhat out of desperation, I put them in anyway. So much play in them....

Then to the left side. Son-of-a....it is another Right Side caliper. arg.

Call my friend, hoping he'll tell me I can use it anyway, reverse the bolts or something. He is a veteran VW mechanic and puts me straight. So. This job pushed back another week.

Meanwhile I ask him about the pads with smooth backing plates. Sending him pictures he says. NO, those are not right.

Damn. Sad

GMATech wrote:
^^^the largest tank you can afford/store. Good air tools are way better than cheap ones when it comes to impact guns or ratchets.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, and figure out where I'll keep the tank for size!

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought some Brasilian grade door rubber. It sucks, don't buy it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

front calipers out, old seals off, pistons blown out and cleaned up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 368, 369, 370 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 369 of 464

Jump to: