Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 401, 402, 403 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Had to wash and wax for the first time ALL WEEK UGHHH....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But after that picture I had to touch up paint every white chip and brushed aluminum piece on the car. The big project of the day was painting the plastic (crap) washer nozzles "brushed aluminum" to match their OG brethren.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airforceSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Put iridium spark plugs in my bus from denso.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Had to wash and wax for the first time ALL WEEK UGHHH....

But after that picture I had to touch up paint every white chip and brushed aluminum piece on the car. The big project of the day was painting the plastic (crap) washer nozzles "brushed aluminum" to match their OG brethren.

As a single guy on an "epic" life changing road trip, you should be stopping at every bikini car wash you see. Not a damn self wash car wash. Wink

Bus looks way to clean. Did you turn around at the contintal divide and head back to SoCal?!?!? Laughing
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted anything here, so I'm overdue. And the list is pretty big.

My engine died in June, I have a new one this post is also on facebook.

June 8, I'm driving through the central valley to Quincy and my engine starts making "bad noises" and then makes that sound that it makes when it's driving on three cylinders. It was. The distributor failed miserably and the advance went far beyond what it should. In short the piston was compressing hot flame and melted the hole.

After some discussion with mechanics, friends, interested parties, wise people, and some alcohol, I agreed that more power was a good idea.

Wolfgang International in Redding built me a 2007cc engine, dual carb, over 100 HP, it was installed on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday of last week and some modification was required. The air cleaner stand had to be removed which took more time than it should have.

A welder friend designed and built a bracket that holds the new oil radiator under the bus and hidden in the frame beams. He also managed to do it without requiring new holes to be drilled. It was powder coated and installed first.

He also slightly modified the engine mount bar and built a small piece to hold the oil lines away from the case.

After about 8 hours of pre-prep work, I manipulated the engine into the bay, and fired it up for the first time.

Thanks to Steve an the Wolfgang International gang for working with me.

The ultimate thank you goes to my significant other who not only supported me in this effort, but patiently dealt with all the things I had to do including drives to Redding, Chico, and various other locations. Thank you darling.

Engine details:
New Mexican Full Flow Engine case
Dual Empi Carbs
78 MM crankshaft
90.5 Cylinder and Pistons
Sidewinder header and Exhaust (ceramic coated)
Compufire Ignition

While I was there... I replaced the fill tube for the fuel tank. That original one was leaking as suspected.

I replaced the shift linkage to my transmission. Now I can get into gear without fighting it.

I adjusted the brakes.

I adjusted the valves at 250 miles on the new engine, and hunted down two oil leaks. One is down to a trickle, the other is from the valve cover gaskets.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Nice looking engine! Is that 100hp at the crank? Hope those hose clamps hold your oil lines on, AN fittings would be a better choice.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Thanks, and i think it is around 100hp. But havent dyno'd it. Hoses seem to be fine, and ill look into upgrading fittings when I can. Carbs are dialed in nicely. Engine was cruising at 60 mph at 3400 rpm. Really smooth and easy to drive.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Embarassed John the fabricator myself and Dennis put the new roof on the blue bus

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Is that a Riviera top or Sportsmobile? From the pictures it is hard to tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Ordered a bunch of parts: new shocks, new motor mounts, new throw out bearing and new rear wheel cylinder. Put on a new front wheel bearing yesterday. But today... today all I did was take this picture Cool

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Perhaps doesn't measure up to others, but still:
With a perfect alignment of the stars, a new hot glue gun, extension cord, my Bentley manual and all the loose pages from said BAY Bentley manual, I glued that poor BENTLEY MANUAL back together. First time in about 3 decades it was in one piece. If anybody has experience at doing this and making it nice, please do tell, because mine is not so pretty.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home

Last edited by Alan Brase on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
With a perfect alignment of the stars, a new hot glue gun, extension cord, my Bentley manual and all the loose pages from said BAY Bentley manual, I glued that poor thing back together. First time in about 3 decades it was in one piece. If anybody has experience at doing this and making it nice, please do tell, because mine is not so pretty.
Al

You glued your bus back together with a hot glue gun?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
69doublecab wrote:
With a perfect alignment of the stars, a new hot glue gun, extension cord, my Bentley manual and all the loose pages from said BAY Bentley manual, I glued that poor thing back together. First time in about 3 decades it was in one piece. If anybody has experience at doing this and making it nice, please do tell, because mine is not so pretty.
Al

You glued your bus back together with a hot glue gun?

I fixed my post.
"GLUED THE BENTLEY MANUAL"
I do think gluing (panel bonding) is a great solution for replacing some sections, namely the belly pans on a sunroof or poptop.
As many know, fixing stuff hidden under the belly pan, like wires and brake lines are a PITA. (I have a 23 window with a frame from a Kombi, so have thought about replacing belly pans perhaps more than some people.)
My plan is to get new Gerson pans and put them on with about 1 self drill pan head screw every foot or so. Then take the thing back down and use 3m or SEM bonding adhesive and glue and screw it back on.
Pretty sure this stuff will release with moderate heat like a propane torch, so when the time comes, just pull the screw and work it loose with some heat.
So: was Bentley, now gluing!
(When I come to a fork in the road, I TAKE IT!)
Al
Vanagons:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
If anybody has experience at doing this and making it nice, please do tell, because mine is not so pretty.
Al

My favorite Bentley is in two pieces. Handy for shimming the engine/transaxle combo when pulling them together on a lifting table.

My second favorite Bentley is about to rip. My least favorite is a hardcover; I guess even the publishers knew about the problem. I want to take the favorite to a "book cutter" (yes that's a real thing) and have them cut and 3-hole-punch it to stick it in a binder already. It deserves it.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Himejii wrote:
alman72 wrote:
^did you direct the tire wranglers where to position the lift points?

Omg I was literally in the waiting room at the tire shop, having pointed them out, but apparently vaguely... And I read this and thought "I'd better go make sure" and what do you know, he was just setting up to put them under the axles but hasn't gotten that far yet.

Many thanks!

Ahhh, that's one of many reasons I bought myself one of those $50 tire changing tools at Harbor Freight. None the least of which was so that no "tire wranglers" (<-- ummm, that's one 'nice' way of putting it) could grub up the new whitewalls that I installed on my '48 Fleetline.

I most recently used it to install the new RA's on my Westy.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Himejii wrote:
alman72 wrote:
^did you direct the tire wranglers where to position the lift points?

Omg I was literally in the waiting room at the tire shop, having pointed them out, but apparently vaguely... And I read this and thought "I'd better go make sure" and what do you know, he was just setting up to put them under the axles but hasn't gotten that far yet.

Many thanks!

Ahhh, that's one of many reasons I bought myself one of those $50 tire changing tools at Harbor Freight. None the least of which was so that no "tire wranglers" (<-- ummm, that's one 'nice' way of putting it) could grub up the new whitewalls that I installed on my '48 Fleetline.

I most recently used it to install the new RA's on my Westy.

I have one of those HF changers, too. I had to modify some things to make it durable, but it works. I would not try to install tires onto nicely painted wheels with mine, though.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Yes, you are right...first off, they really need to be mounted on solid concrete.

Also, the iron that is used specifically for installing the tire on the rim, well it was useless until I welded a sort of lip extension on it so it would wrap under the rim lip...otherwise it would just pop out as soon as it encountered tension under the tire bead (I will post pictures of my mods in the "HF Tools Thread"). Then a couple strips of duct tape on the end of the iron where it contacts the rim lip prevents the iron from scratching the rim lip. I've mounted three sets of new tires with flawless results.

Also, the chintzy spider they provide to hold the rim down is ridiculously useless, and will scratch and gouge the hub area of any rim you put on it. So as much as it sounds like a PITA, I make a custom mounting adapter for each type of wheel that I want to use it for. For my Bay rims, all it took was a round disc of hardwood on the top side (the floppy swivel pin on the HF baseplate gets cut off and placed in the trash).

The next custom mounting adapter I need to fab is for my wide-5's for my '65 Bug.

Last edited by Busstom on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Yes, you are right...first off, they really need to be mounted on solid concrete.

Also, the iron that is used specifically for installing the tire on the rim, well it was useless until I welded a sort of lip extension on it so it would wrap under the rim lip...otherwise it would just pop out as soon as it encountered tension under the tire bead (I will post pictures of my mods in the "HF Tools Thread." Then a couple strips of duct tape on the end of the iron where it contacts the rim lip prevents the iron from scratching the rim lip. I've mounted three sets of new tires with flawless results.

Also, the chintzy spider they provide to hold the rim down is ridiculously useless, and will scratch and gouge the hub area of any rim you put on it. So as much as it sounds like a PITA, I make a custom mounting adapter for each type of wheel that I want to use it for. For my Bay rims, all it took was a round disc of hardwood on the top side (the floppy swivel pin on the HF baseplate gets cut off and placed in the trash).

The next custom mounting adapter I need to fab is for my wide-5's for my '65 Bug.

WRT Harbor Freight tire changer:
It's a genuine need, but what a POS that one is!
Someone should pick up the ball and market a better manual changer.
Rim clamp and tools that would not scratch your rims. A guy could get wealthy.
Shops nowadays all want $20 to mount a single tire, it sure would be easy to justify spending $400 just to have a good machine that you could use RIGHT NOW at 10 PM if you needed to.
I had one of the Chinese cheapos and gettin my house back after divorce my ex let some creeps steal it. What a blessing!
What I'd like to know- were there ever any good vintage machines built that a guy might find today? It's hard to justify spending over $1000 just for a decent tire machine.
One thing I did was buy a genuine Ken tool tire mounting hammer off ebay.
Back 50 years ago I mounted a lot of tires with one and a single tire lever.
Still have to break the bead and lever them off tho.
Al
Vanagons:

Last edited by Alan Brase on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8192227#8192227

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I will post pictures of my mods in the "HF Tools Thread"

Please do.
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Nester355 wrote:
cbaucom1 wrote:
Dang Nestor, looking good. That respray doesn't even look "backyard" to me. It does look kind of Miami Vice though. Those colors look like vacation mode to me.

For some reason the colors reminds me of an icecream van.

Just needs a Tailgate tent installed and I'll take a holiday. Photos to be added!

It does look like an icecream van. Better get an ice box to complete the scene.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 401, 402, 403 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 402 of 464

Jump to: