Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

christine72 wrote:
Had the alternator (not the belt) and voltage regulator replaced.
Mechanic said the alternators for the 74 bay's can't handle charging two batteries (using a hella dual battery relay).

NOW has high breathy whine. Like maybe a vacuum leak? Took her back to the shop and they adjusted the belt tighter, then looser. Made no difference.

Also, had the linkage for the shift rod at the transmission replaced.

Now the bus is making all kinds of noise - sounds like from the shift rod.
Add that to the wine, and it's worrying me.

Thoughts?

Run the engine for short time (like under 15 seconds) without the belt in place. Still whining? Probably bad alternator bearings.

Was it the shift coupler that was replaced? If they put in an HD unit, it will transmit more noise through the shift rod into the cabin.

Many other possibilities, too.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
christine72 wrote:
Had the alternator (not the belt) and voltage regulator replaced.
Mechanic said the alternators for the 74 bay's can't handle charging two batteries (using a hella dual battery relay).

NOW has high breathy whine. Like maybe a vacuum leak? Took her back to the shop and they adjusted the belt tighter, then looser. Made no difference.

Also, had the linkage for the shift rod at the transmission replaced.

Now the bus is making all kinds of noise - sounds like from the shift rod.
Add that to the wine, and it's worrying me.

Thoughts?

Run the engine for short time (like under 15 seconds) without the belt in place. Still whining? Probably bad alternator bearings.

Was it the shift coupler that was replaced? If they put in an HD unit, it will transmit more noise through the shift rod into the cabin.

Many other possibilities, too.

Some alternators naturally whine more than others under load.
Colin
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Made my bus "lit" as the kids say these days.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Busy week for the bus...

Ran new alternator light wire from the regulator to the dash-

All new dash lights and clean up-

New fuel sender wire from tank to gauge- thanks PO for clamping the original wire under the tank strap....

Fixed turn signals-

Rewired fuse box to match wiring diagram-

Removed tangle of wiring from po radio install- if I never see another blue wire tap I'll be happy-

Put new canvas on the Westy top- another job I hope to never do again...

Fixed reverse lights

Installed DD CHT gauge-

Closer and closer to being back on the road!!!
hellymegs31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

New To the Samba.
I've had my eye on a 1973 Campmobile that has been in the family of a very close friend for years. The van has been sitting in the garage since 2004. 40,000 miles and in amazing shape.

The family recently sold it to me knowing i would take great care of it. I decided the best way to learn about it is to complete rebuild it. So i started that project today. I look forward to having a place to ask lots of newbie questions. I've spend most of my life on the VwVortex and Fourtitude as my daily drivers have always been VAG cars.

Here's a few picks of my project.
Thank you!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

hellymegs31 wrote:
New To the Samba.
I've had my eye on a 1973 Campmobile that has been in the family of a very close friend for years. The van has been sitting in the garage since 2004. 40,000 miles and in amazing shape.

The family recently sold it to me knowing i would take great care of it. I decided the best way to learn about it is to complete rebuild it. So i started that project today. I look forward to having a place to ask lots of newbie questions. I've spend most of my life on the VwVortex and Fourtitude as my daily drivers have always been VAG cars.

Thank you!

Wow.. that's a nice one there. Welcome to the bay forums. You should start your own new thread. Then add to it as you start working through bring it back to life.

Let's see some engine photo's as well. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

hellymegs31 wrote:
New To the Samba.

Thank you!

Doesn't look like there is much to rebuild. I'd clean it, pull the motor and check all the hoses and items that may rot or rust. Then leave the rest alone.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
hellymegs31 wrote:
New To the Samba.

Thank you!

Doesn't look like there is much to rebuild. I'd clean it, pull the motor and check all the hoses and items that may rot or rust. Then leave the rest alone.

Agreed. That thing looks like an amazing survivor. Clean, inspect, make it safe, and drive it!
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I had my mechanic install some power outlets. One USB, one "cigarette lighter style" outlet and a nifty voltage display.

I bought the contraption from AliExpress.com for $14.81, bought some primary wire from NAPA, some non-insulated female connectors and an in-line fuse doohickey off of eBay, and then had a real mechanic double-check my amateur-ass attempt and install the thing.

Now, Mrs. static can charge her iPhone and I have somewhere to plug in my Garmin.

mmustang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I have a 79 Westy. I think this is my first post. I hope it works.
A couple of items.
One just for info. I purchased a 93 Eurovan and installed the front seats from it into my 79, All I had to do was cut off the two lower verticle lips on the seat track using zip cut blade on my mini-grinder. What an improvement.
Does anybody know if I can purchase upholstery kits for these seats to match the original pattern?
Also, what should I put on heater boxes for a coating to make them last longer?
Cheers
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

mmustang wrote:

Does anybody know if I can purchase upholstery kits for these seats to match the original pattern?
Also, what should I put on heater boxes for a coating to make them last longer?
Cheers

Yes. Wolfburg West has fabric and you can have them made. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/interior/seat_covers.cfm

Bus Depot too. http://www.busdepot.com/interior/seats-and-seat-parts

To your second question: Ceramic coating is best but POR20 (now POR15 high temp) is also a good option. http://www.por15.com/POR-20_p_52.html
(sold - but not forgotten)
dillon70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Trailer finally attached today.

Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Added a heavily modified type III clock to my 69 deluxe. Took artistic license to make it like if I was the engineer designing it in 69.
I think it looks a lot better than the original but I could be bias on that.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I made my own rubber mat for the trunk area so that it would match the rubber floor mats that will soon be in the rest of the bus. Got a 3'x6' roll of the stuff of amazon for $35

orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

hellymegs31 wrote:
New To the Samba.

Thank you!

Nice find. I grew up in Florence off of rt. 66. My brother and I used to drive our bus around and bring the bus to Metrix. Are they still open? I live in Dudley now and still have the bus, but recently picked up a 75 safari. Glad to see more buses coming out of Mass!
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

What have I done recently... This is a long story, but here I go.

June of last year, I'm driving to a campout in the Sierra foothills. It's a little over 100 degrees in the valley, but I'm moving along rather smoothly, and the engine starts sounds weird. I slow down, but now it's sounding terrible, and *boom* it starts shaking like its running on three cylinders. I pull off the offramp, and park in the shade. I know I'm going to need a towtruck before I start diagnosing, so I order it, knowing it's gonna take a while.

I tow it to a friends shop in Chico, it's late, so I sleep at my friends place knowing I have a long tomorrow ahead of me. Next morning we go to his shop, and the compression check shows 0 on the number 3 cylinder. Engine gets pulled, and this disaster is staring at me. I don't think a valve adjustment is going to fix it

So I make some calls to people I know about an engine rebuild, and after some discussion with rational people, I decide to upgrade seriously. I'm spending way too much time on the California freeways and a little more power would be a good idea.

Steve up at Wolfgang talks to me about his 2007 Engines and their reliability, I call other people I know and they agree that it is probably the best engine I can get for the kind of driving I do.

Well, the engine is out, so lets clean the bay, tighten down the fuel tank filler, and do those small things I keep meaning to.

August: The new engine is done, I drive up to Redding to pick it up, bring it to Chico and install it. There is a lot of work to be done.

First - say goodbye to my old engine case. Sadly, it was an original German case and beyond saving.

But it's getting replaced with this work of art:

Dual carbs for the first time in my life.

We needed to install an external oil filter, my friend spent a lot of time fabricating this for me: it recessed the oil radiator and gave me easy access to the filter while keeping me from cutting any new holes in the frame. Powder coated it, it fit perfectly.

Another friend shows up to run wires for me for the new gauges (tach, oil pressure, oil temp). I have to remove the oil cleaner stand, that takes a while to do correctly. Once the engine bay is prepped, the oil radiator installed, and the new oil lines clamped up, it goes in carefully.

My friend, as luck would have it, got stung by a bee and can only watch me do this alone as he is looped up on bee sting drugs. It took longer than normal, but once it fired up, that beautiful low sound of power made me smile.

Tune ups, tests, double checks. Yeah, I'm good. I drive back to Redding to have Wolfgang give it a once over and a thumbs up, and I'm driving back home to San Francisco.

Three weeks later, it's Sacramento bug-o-rama, and I'm there giving the Wolfgang team one more time to look it over and make sure I've kept it tuned correctly - they are warrantying this engine and I'm making sure that I don't do anything wrong with it. Call me paranoid.

Steve just finishes a dragster race and walks over to look at it. It starts but something doesn't sound right - we think its the fan rubbing on the shroud, so we turn it off and I get the tools to work on it in the parking lot.

I feel the fan again when it's stopped - it's fine. That's weird, so I go back to start it, and smoke starting coming out of the dash board and I can't turn it off. I sprint back and unhook the battery.

My ignition switch just fried. Right there. Just after every vendor boxed up and left. I'm stuck.

I mentally start figuring out where I need to tow it, how long it will take to order the new switch, and where I'm gonna sleep for the night when Steve says "why don't you just hot wire it?" Ive never done this before, so he shouts to a crowd of onlookers "anyone want to learn how to hotwire a VW?"

So now we have 10 people watching him cut wires, twist a pair just like in the movies, and tap the starter wire - just like in the movies. I'm a little frightened at how easy it is.

Better yet, I'm hanging out with a bunch of drag car racers, one offers a hot switch to me. We wire it up and I now have a click switch to start the car. I drive back to SF and sleep in my own bed.

Well Hell, I need to replace the switch, might as well fix the horn since the bottom tab broke off. I pull the entire steering column out, and replace the horn power tab.

And deal with this mess (which is actually pretty well organized once you start following wires.

This isolation tab is pretty important, just so you know. It keeps the steering lock from accidentally grounding out the horn.

It's now September 16, and I'm back in business. driving like a dream. The bus is smooth, I have a working horn, the ignition switch is new and feel good and tight. Yeah! Look at me smiling...

and then... (you knew there was going to be another part to this)

... December. I'm driving up Potrero Hill. Theres this strange clicking sound. I roll down the window and try to determine the location but the car now makes a big bang sound, starts shaking, and the engine is revving but no power is reaching the wheels. I hit the brakes, while drifting backwards, avoid some cars, drift down to a parking lot and look.

First, I have a screw in the rear wheel - its completely flat. That was the clicking. But the power issue? Ugh, tow it home and figure it out.

Start with the engine - clutches don't normally shatter, but who knows. Engine gets pulled. The clutch is fine.

Brake drum splines? I hate pulling brake drums, but I'm already here and the car is on jack stands, let's do this. Nope. Drums are perfect. Splines are perfect.

OK, let's go on a long shot - maybe a shattered a CV joint cage? I pull both axels. They are fine.

...do you see what I am doing here? I am avoiding the obvious expensive problem. Maybe I'm hoping that magically it isn't the transmission.

...But I grab the main shaft and turn it a few times until it stops turning. It's locked. I try everything I can to get it to move but it's not going anywhere except out of the car. Deep breaths. Pat myself on the back for removing everything in advance and remind myself that I wanted to check my brake adjusters anyway, so it wasn't wasted effort pulling the drums.

Mental check: I replaced the original transmission 26 years ago. It was replaced with a Transform transmission (those of you who know what that is have been around a while) and it outlasted the original transmission by 7 years and 30K miles. So, good job guys! Too bad you went out of business two decades ago.

I call Wolfgang, he has me call Rancho performance, they build me a freeway flier and ship it up. It arrived on Jan 10. I started installation yesterday.

Work done yesterday:
-Wrapped the three gauge wires with protective plastic wire wrap.
-Installed throwout bearing
-Put transmission fluid in transmission (Swepco - might as well use the good stuff at this point)
-Installed starter motor.
-Mounted transmission
-repacked CV joints before installing.

Today: adjust valves on engine.
Wipe off and find any oil leaks.

Don't know if I'll get to the installation today - I'm pretty sore from yesterday and it's cold.

So yeah, I've done a few things recently, what have you been up to? Smile

For those of you who have read this far: The original engine failure was do to a worn/failing distributor. The advance on it just kept on going way past the 27 degrees it should have, so it was compressing flame - thus that really impressive piston hole.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Damn that is a ton of stuff. Nice post!
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I finally had some spare time on my hands so I went through the electrical system of my bus. I bought it in November and have been slowly cleaning it up and getting the bumpers ready to paint. Today I got all the lights working except for the license plate and the right rear turn signal. I've been disassembling and cleaning as I go with very positive results but when night fell I had to give up. This weekend the bus is going into a friends garage so I can hopefully work on it into the evening. Very Happy
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally gave up and took it to my mechanic. Going to pick it up today. I managed to jack things up pretty good doing my own work.

Gotta remember that even if you spend $2k a year fixing your bus, it still beats the hell out of a car payment. You also have a vehicle that's increasing in value instead of depreciating.
'65 Honda Dream
Papaski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Started on my bamboo roof rack the other day, putting on slats now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 405 of 463

Jump to: