Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of 12V strip lights on eBay. Not sure if they come with remote but I'd check that out. I've gotten quite a few 12V LEDs off there.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a new belt today. I replaced it with the same belt (part number 35515). The old one had 17k on it and was starting to squeak a little during cold start ups.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of the engine bay for fun. Smile

’65 Deluxe Build
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

It was a rainy weekend so I tackled an indoor bus project that I have wanted to do for a long time. Evey one of my cabinet handles was damaged in some way and I didn't want to drop $70 replacing them all, so I make this silicone mold of the best one I had. Now I can crank em out. As a side benefit the casting resin is harder than the original plastic and less pron to finger nail scratches. Also you can get any color dye you like, so if you want yellow or red handles to match your bus, than you go right ahead.
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
...Now I can crank em out...

So how do I place my order for stock black ones?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

MonkeySee wrote:
captincanuck wrote:

Ditto, I'll take 10! Very Happy

That is awesome!

*edit*
That just looks like the handle "face". How does it attach to the door?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

Great!

I will like 10 Very Happy
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
MonkeySee wrote:
captincanuck wrote:

Ditto, I'll take 10! Very Happy

That is awesome!

*edit*
That just looks like the handle "face". How does it attach to the door?

That was my first one out of the mold. It's a 2 piece mold with the parting line in the same place as the original handle. The rest of the handle is there, it's just still in the other half of the mold so you don't see it. I think I will start a thread. Just wanted to see what people thought about it first. Wink
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
...wanted to see what people thought about it first...

This people wants one or ten.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

It was a rainy weekend so I tackled an indoor bus project that I have wanted to do for a long time. Evey one of my cabinet handles was damaged in some way and I didn't want to drop $70 replacing them all, so I make this silicone mold of the best one I had. Now I can crank em out. As a side benefit the casting resin is harder than the original plastic and less pron to finger nail scratches. Also you can get any color dye you like, so if you want yellow or red handles to match your bus, than you go right ahead.

You're doing God's work, my son. Cool

Might you be interested to cast another Westy part? There is a white hard plastic seal/switch mount that sits under the faucet on late deluxe Westys. Totally unavailable. I've got two, one with a big chip, one with a crack. Gluing up the crack and casting it would render good new parts. Willing to pay, PM if interested.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
captincanuck wrote:

Might you be interested to cast another Westy part? There is a white hard plastic seal/switch mount that sits under the faucet on late deluxe Westys. Totally unavailable. I've got two, one with a big chip, one with a crack. Gluing up the crack and casting it would render good new parts. Willing to pay, PM if interested.

It would be easier if I already had the part. Is this it?

Don't think mine is damaged at all. Like the Starks say "winter is coming" And I will need more indoor bus projects.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet Handle Factory Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
eche_bus wrote:
captincanuck wrote:

It would be easier if I already had the part. Is this it?

Don't think mine is damaged at all. Like the Starks say "winter is coming" And I will need more indoor bus projects.

I could use that part as well. I have a new switch, but I'm completely missing that mount. Willing to pay as well.

Let's hope it's not that long of a winter, Spring 2015 seems a long way off. Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is the part. As I said, I have two already removed from the faucet/sink, and one only needing minor repair to use for casting. Can repair and supply to you once we have a proper agreement. But, if you've already got a good one, all the better. What's important is to have a durable, accurately sized and colored reproduction. PM if I can help in any way.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to see the process or want to suggest other bus bits to cast come on over here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609734&highlight=
D.I.Y casting cabinet handles and other bus bits
dbierwi440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Mice Reply with quote

Very Happy Had a mice family move in and poop all over the 76 Camper. The mice have been dispatched. The stink was bad and for the first time in 21 years of ownership I pulled out all the cabinets. Cleaned and will think hard about resurfacing them.
lumberbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed all the rusty staples from rear seat upholstery, one. at. a. time. Washed the upholstery on hand wash cycle with infant detergent, air dry.
I don't have photo proof but the result was very noticeable. Will replace the staples with MONEL unless anyone has better idea. No more rust in my bus!

Will post a project thread at some point now that my small punch list for my '76 westy has turned into a large project.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see a couple more '76 Westys getting worked on!

Why not just use coated, non-rustprone staples to put the upholstery back on? The ones I used to put a new cover on the armrest are bronze colored and coated with something that's not supposed to rust. I picked them up from the tool rental place I got the power stapler from, so know they're out there. Photo of work here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7375970#7375970
lumberbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche bus,

Monel is a corrosion resistant material. I sell them at my hardware store, which is a handy thing to have when you are working in a project of this scope. Think I will use 'em.

[/img]
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberbus wrote:
eche bus,

Monel is a corrosion resistant material. I sell them at my hardware store, which is a handy thing to have when you are working in a project of this scope. Think I will use 'em.

Oh! Embarassed Sorry, didn't know that. Looks like exactly the right thing to use!!
lumberbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its kind of a odd item monel is. I have worked in a hardware store since I was 12 (18 years) and never sold a box.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I changed the oil for the first time since I had the full flow system installed. I made the change from 20w50 to 10w30 for the winter. This is the first time I made a weight change with this engine. I did this to help cold starts since I don't Put it up for the winter. I also adjusted the valves, exhausts on 1,3 and 4 were a little tight (.005). I wiped down the engine bay then Crawled underneath and wiped down several thousand miles of road grime. After that I adjusted the brakes and went for a cruise to town. It's running and stopping good!
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 361 of 463

Jump to: