Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
kruno wrote:
dimer is not as strong, there is a place that should fix it again

http://toxicalije.blogspot.hr/ Evil or Very Mad

What?

there are still rusty places Wink
'05 renault modus Smile a little gallic gay car
toXic rust
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain Minstrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

A while back I had a fresh air tube come loose and the hose clamp ended up rubbing all the markings off of my crank pulley. As I have electronic points that was not an issue until the module croaked and I had to replace it. The timing felt like it was off some so I ordered a new pulley. It turns out that I was correct the timing was 29*.

But, the cool thing was that I found the exhaust leak that I have been trying to find for several months. With the rear cooling tin removed I found a small hole just past the connection to #1 cylinder. I used some of that exhaust repair tape and it seems to have fixed it for now, but it looks like a new exhaust is in the future for me.

Oh how sweet it is to only have the roar of a single quiet pack again.

BTW any thoughts on something that might be actually quiet?
04 Miata (Sold)

Desertbusman wrote:
Maintenance doesn't mean repairing it when it breaks. That's called repair.

miniman82 wrote:
Don't listen to him, people from Fresno are retarded. Rolling Eyes
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Dogleg and front cabin floor repair. 3 doglegs and two floor panels later (drivers side), I am almost there. Used a can of primer to see my mistakes/spots that need work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The plastic hammer and the lantern battery are my 4 y/o's tools. I blame the crappy looking welds on him.
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Today, I replaced the left side heater cable, WOW! What a royal pain in the ass that was! Took me almost 8 hours to get that sucker out.. pulled it out as far as I could, about 2 feet, before it was bound inside somewhere, wrapped it around an ez-curl bar and continued to yank until I broke the cable.. but I had enough to wrap it around the bar and et a good grip on it.. Continued to pull it back in from the rear, spray some liquid wrench down the tube, pull it back, etc, etc, until, finally it broke free!! What a great feeling that was to get it free and all the way through.. whew! Now, with the new cable, my levers operate smoothly, and my heat works great!
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Ok, this is not so recent....Here is a quick fix for early bay, as well as '62 on, split bus tail lights that the chrome reflectors are not reflective anymore. I did this to my '70 several years ago. Not sure if anyone has done this. I used metal flue tape, that is fairly reflective. It sticks well and is an easy inexpensive install, especially if you already have the tape.... It's available at any home improvement store.

Very Happy

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Another option for the above:
I have used chrome spray paint with similar results.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Another option for the above:
I have used chrome spray paint with similar results.

I have used bright white paint, too. Works great!
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Covered bus for winter season - Just gotta put the trickle charger on it - Filled up the fuel tank and added "heat / fuel line antifreeze". Sad but glad at the same time. Still gotta put a few bigger balls in a trash bag up top to stop the water/ ice from forming in the luggage area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
Ok, this is not so recent....Here is a quick fix for early bay, as well as '62 on, split bus tail lights that the chrome reflectors are not reflective anymore. I did this to my '70 several years ago. Not sure if anyone has done this. I used metal flue tape, that is fairly reflective. It sticks well and is an easy inexpensive install, especially if you already have the tape.... It's available at any home improvement store.

Nice!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Phatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

They aren't quiet engines by nature, quietest exhaust is probably a good quality stock one, but loud pipes saves lives!

Mountain Minstrel wrote:

BTW any thoughts on something that might be actually quiet?

Latest job on mine was getting the horn to work off the steering wheel button - YES!
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I figured out how to use a test light and read the wiring diagram. Dead rear side markers and license plate light. Cleaned the contacts and located a disconnected ground wire. All is good with the 70 bus again.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
I figured out how to use a test light and read the wiring diagram. Dead rear side markers and license plate light. Cleaned the contacts and located a disconnected ground wire. All is good with the 70 bus again.

That is great. If you know how to use a test light, there is not much you can't fix.
Ignition High Tension Leaks/
Good luck
Tcash
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Found my passenger seat saturated. Bought the low end cab door seal from Cip1.com $16. Yes, I needed to trim a bit, but contact cement sealed the new seam, and other than that she fits well. Nice solid seal all the way around. Glad I caught it before re-installing newly re-upholstered seat. (still in progress).

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AW Gough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I just replace driver and passenger floor with new plate. In addition, I replaced front window with new rubber, chrome, windshield, wipers.

I am struggling to find website to buy new drapes and curtains like this...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/927824.jpg

Any help will be wonderful! Thanks!
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

christine72 wrote:
Found my passenger seat saturated. Bought the low end cab door seal from Cip1.com $16. Yes, I needed to trim a bit, but contact cement sealed the new seam, and other than that she fits well. Nice solid seal all the way around. Glad I caught it before re-installing newly re-upholstered seat. (still in progress).

And this morning, see water flowing in through the door vent. Will replacing the scraper fix this?

Past VWs

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Did the body work, primed and painted my bus in 4 days in my driveway
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

You could have at least taken the door handles off.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

tjrm63 wrote:

Did the body work, primed and painted my bus in 4 days in my driveway

She looks great. You make it sound easy. And inspiring!

Past VWs

jtvader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello all from Billings, Montana. I am new to this forum. I am also new to the Type 2 world. First two cars were Type 1's back in the day.
I bought a '73 bay Oct. 10th of this year and proceeded to clean all of the garbage out of it and wash, buff, wax. Replaced rear window seal and sliding door seal. New coil, wires, spark plugs, rotor, cap, condenser, oil change, valve adjustment, tac/dwell check. Checked compression on all cylinders; reads 100. Replaced accelerator cable and, in the process, the flexible tube from the chassis to the firewall. Was missing all together! Sprayed some carb cleaner into the progressive carb, and it runs great! Also recently had rims powder-coated white, and bought new tires.
I'll post a pic soon.
Jon
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

jtvader wrote:
Hello all from Billings, Montana. I am new to this forum. I am also new to the Type 2 world. First two cars were Type 1's back in the day.
I bought a '73 bay Oct. 10th of this year and proceeded to clean all of the garbage out of it and wash, buff, wax. Replaced rear window seal and sliding door seal. New coil, wires, spark plugs, rotor, cap, condenser, oil change, valve adjustment, tac/dwell check. Checked compression on all cylinders; reads 100. Replaced accelerator cable and, in the process, the flexible tube from the chassis to the firewall. Was missing all together! Sprayed some carb cleaner into the progressive carb, and it runs great! Also recently had rims powder-coated white, and bought new tires.
I'll post a pic soon.
Jon

Welcome to TheSamba. You should start a Build thread.
Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 385 of 464

Jump to: