Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 405, 406, 407 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Today I replaced my center pin with a NOS Febi pin bought here on the samba. I followed tcash's write-up as well as amskeptics write-up on his forum. It was a bear to drive the bushings through with a 21mm socket but I got it all out and back in successfully. Only issue I had was the discrepancy between the two write-ups as the which direction the holes were supposed to go, front to back or side to side.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

And do you have a recommendation of the correct direction, Skoolieman?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
And do you have a recommendation of the correct direction, Skoolieman?

The original bushings came out with the hole and seems towards the wheels so thats how I replaced the new ones.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I just did this myself (along with a bunch of other stuff on my sons bus) , ill update more pics and stuff in the next few days (weld busler thread in my sig)..

I put the holes ot the front, as thats what the bentley and Colin said, as well as SGKent and a few others.

I think Tcash did it different because of how he felt the wear pattern was.

I did kind of hem and haw about that myself. I believe Colins thought was the zerk is in the front, thus the holes should be in the front.

I used the pressing tool that tcash suggested..ill get some pics up in the next day or two

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I removed the engine / transaxle package from my 71 single cab to rebuild the transaxle on 1/28. My truck came with what appears to be a 74 / 75 "pyramid" trans. I know it was once rebuilt many years ago by Rancho but the miles and the 2 liter motor I also got it with has taken it's toll on the trans bearings.

I got everything removed and the gearbox torn down. But before I could get all he parts clean and a proper inspection of the hard parts done I got hit like a ton of bricks by the flu. That bit of fun put me to bed for four days. I did take a few pics that I'll get posted up as soon as I can.

" I love the smell of 90wt in the morning! It smells like, victory."
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sodbuster on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I've had my '68 poptop Westy for a few months now, but work had sent me out of town for about 8 weeks of that time. With all the rain in SoCal recently, I decided to replace the door window scraper rubber. If I had realized just how far I'd have to tear down the door to replace the scrapers, I'd have gotten the felt channels too. Passenger side done with a little trimming needed on the aluminum to expose the mounting holes for the felt channel clips. I ran out of daylight so decided to tackle the driver's side when I have a couple hours free.

I took this past Monday off to burn a holiday that I didn't take while on the road last year so had some more time to work on the bus. With no rain in the immediate forecast, electrical work moved up the list ahead of replacing the door rubber.

There was a mysterious switch installed in the engine bay that was broken and had no apparent function. It had only one wire attached and I located another mysterious wire in the vicinity that had been cut short. Both these wires disappeared into the grommet in the forward bulkhead. While changing out the positive battery cable (due to rounded off nut on the loose battery clamp and no way to tighten) I found where the mystery wires went. One was tapped into the hot wire going from the starter to the headlight switch and the other on the solenoid terminal. Apparently it had been a remote start and/or crank the engine switch. Broken switch and mystery wires have been removed.

While I was back there, I also attached a ground wire to the left taillight bucket. Hurray, working taillights! The right side is a cheap replacement with wires already attached. Hopefully the original spade connectors are still there inside the mass of electrical tape holding the wires together. It works, so I didn't mess with it. This time.

With the taillights sorted, it was time to move on to the backup lights. The wire coming from the switch to the lights is intact but there was no fuse holder or wire to the coil. Luckily most of the wire from the switch to the coil was there, so it was a simple matter of attaching a fuse holder and running the rest of the way to the coil. The right side light didn't work initially but a quick swipe of emery cloth in the socket and a dab of dielectric grease brought it back to life.

It was a very productive day!
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
I removed the engine / transaxle package from my 71 single cab to rebuild the transaxle on 1/28. My truck came with what appears to be a 74 / 75 "pyramid" trans. I know it was once rebuilt many years ago by Rancho but the miles and the 2 liter motor I also got it with has taken it's toll on the trans bearings.

I got everything removed and the gearbox torn down. But before I could get all he parts clean and a proper inspection of the hard parts done I got hit like a ton of bricks by the flu. That bit of fun put me to bed for four days. I did take a few pics that I'll get posted up as soon as I can.

Dahm dude. I was sick with that fucking zombie virus from Turkey day till after xmas. Then I finally went in and got some Peni, moxi, whateverbiotics. Took me a week after that to shake that stuff. If George Sr. AND Barbara did not go into the hospital as well with the same crap, Id of thought it was some grassy knoll shit the government planned. I never get that sick.

Me? I love the smell of uninhibited upper respiratory issues the morning. Cool Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Dahm dude. I was sick with that fucking zombie virus from Turkey day till after xmas. Then I finally went in and got some Peni, moxi, whateverbiotics. Took me a week after that to shake that stuff. If George Sr. AND Barbara did not go into the hospital as well with the same crap, Id of thought it was some grassy knoll shit the government planned. I never get that sick.

Me? I love the smell of uninhibited upper respiratory issues the morning. Cool Laughing

God this crap lingers! I really do need to get to the Doctor to get a script for something to knock this out of me. The wheezing makes it hard to sleep! Laughing Good news is the hard parts are looking good from what I have been able to see. (still not clean though.) Hopefully it will just end up being new bearings gaskets and seals. Only because it looks like the machine work I thought the gear carrier might need has already been done and had held up well. I am also thinking of installing a four spider gear diff while I am in there. This gearbox has always functioned well. Just a lot of bearing noise going down the road as of late.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
notchboy wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

God this crap lingers! I really do need to get to the Doctor to get a script for something to knock this out of me. The wheezing makes it hard to sleep! Laughing Good news is the hard parts are looking good from what I have been able to see. (still not clean though.) Hopefully it will just end up being new bearings gaskets and seals. Only because it looks like the machine work I thought the gear carrier might need has already been done and had held up well. I am also thinking of installing a four spider gear diff while I am in there. This gearbox has always functioned well. Just a lot of bearing noise going down the road as of late.

My ass was thoroughly kicked by the same thing. It was a four week battle, with the worst starting two days before X-mas. That really sucked. I never get that sick either.
Zambia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

New starter, amazing how a job is so hard by yourself and is totally super easy with another set of hands. Asked the wife to put on and tighten the D bolt while I laid under the bus holding it in.
While under there, figured I would clean up some 47 year old wires.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

A few pictures as promised. Wink

Removal

Teardown.

I do love a good German jigsaw puzzle! Very Happy
JOrenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Completely gutted my '77 bus. Got it last summer, did some minor cleaning on it so I could take it for a trip past fall. Haven't touched it again till this past weekend and I gutted it! Except for the front seats of course. Lots of cleaning and renovations to do, fixing holes, working on mechanics.

Can't wait!
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I have tune-up parts to install, its that time again. My bus is running like a stubborn mule at the moment, but I'm trying to hold out until spring to tune-up. Also, I have a new timing light to try out...
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally rebuilt my german CVs with CVJ here in Denver. Things were trashed, but came back good as new. Got those back in and have been cruising it -- got to recheck torque on the bolts in the next few days.

While waiting on them to get repaired, I took the time to clean the underside of the bus and trans case -- probably the first one ever to do it based on the caked on grease/dirt layer that was up to an inch thick in some places.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

JOrenda wrote:
Completely gutted my '77 bus. Got it last summer, did some minor cleaning on it so I could take it for a trip past fall. Haven't touched it again till this past weekend and I gutted it! Except for the front seats of course. Lots of cleaning and renovations to do, fixing holes, working on mechanics.

Can't wait!

That's great, JOrenda! Congrats on your new (and soon-to-be newer) bus.
When you get a chance, post some pics on here and show off your handy work!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spetey325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

We added a new wide format printer at our shop. Decided to wrap the old shop truck for some practice and give her a different look for a bit.

The real Curly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finished restoration of fridge, measured for curtains, spend another $1000 at the bus depot.

1931 Model A truck (Model A folks are smart and handsome)
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally got the #(*&$()#^$)(&^#%#_^$# brake pedal return spring back in place. Evil or Very Mad
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Nothing major, but my backup lights didn't work for a long time. I had my local shop figure out what was wrong. And then there was light!

...but it was kinda not very useful for backing up with the stock bulb and all.

So I ordered some pretty bitchin' LED bulbs from China. They are higher quality and brighter than I had predicted.

Very happy; amazing improvement, all for the low, low price of $12.79 including postage. (You gotta sign up for Aliexpress, but it is worth it)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2pcs-lot-...0.0.LZZjiB
Pedal the distance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally got my garage all finished and then had time to start stripping down the engine ready to pull it tomorrow.

The bus is a 72 from Finland which I got in November. Pretty solid but needs mechanical overhaul.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 405, 406, 407 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 406 of 464

Jump to: