Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing a VW Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jewest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently towed my '67 from Northen Cal to Florida - over 2500 miles with no problems using a used VW tow bar ($50). I used safety chains and magnetic tail/brake lights I bought at U-Haul for about $40. I can sell you both for $75 plus actual shipping (?) if you wish. I agree the rental tow bars are a rip off. Joe
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing an autostick is not a problem. Just like a manual trans, make sure it is in neutrak and the trans is full of oil.
The autostick is really a manual transmission with and automatic clutch, and a torque converter.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dejvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewest wrote:
I recently towed my '67 from Northen Cal to Florida - over 2500 miles with no problems using a used VW tow bar ($50). I used safety chains and magnetic tail/brake lights I bought at U-Haul for about $40. I can sell you both for $75 plus actual shipping (?) if you wish. I agree the rental tow bars are a rip off. Joe

My tow bar/safety chains/magnetic tail lights already paid for them selfs with only 3 towings. Good investment.
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towed my 67 bug home from NE. to sacramento couple of years ago with my pathfinder in a blizzard.was like 60 bucks for the tow bar lights and saftey chains from walmart maybe another 60 bucks.spun it out on the 80 a compleat 360 in front of some trucker slid on the ice just like i parked on the side of the road between the markers not a scratch on anything.that poor trucker must have thought he was headin for a dirt nap.made it the rest of the way with nothing else exciting.did buy a CB at the next truck stop as recomended by a trucker for driving conditions when truckers decide its time to park you should also start looking for a hotel expensive trip but many lessions learned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Secure Steering Wheel? Reply with quote

Getting ready to tow my bug, I was told from one person that I should secure the steering wheel with bungy cords to keep the wheel from turning too much. Is this correct?

Thanks
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!
the front tires have to turn to follow you around the corners.....otherwise you are dragging the tires sideways

NOTE ; the only time you tie down the front tires is when the bug is on a tow dolly BACKWARDS....the swivel on the tow dolly turns the" front" of the bug and the bug front tires follow straight

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
mybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks grandpa Pete!
mybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks grandpa Pete!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can put a bungee cord over the steering wheel loosely if the steering wheel wanders back and fort. if you put it on loose the wheel will still turn but keep it from wandering Wink
(And I have been towing bugs this way across the country for over 35 years)
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Secure Steering Wheel? Reply with quote

mybug wrote:
Getting ready to tow my bug, I was told from one person that I should secure the steering wheel with bungy cords to keep the wheel from turning too much. Is this correct?

Thanks
It helps to have the correct air pressures in the tires. Too much pressure in front and the car might tend to wander or the front tires might not like to return to center as well as they should. Correct tire pressures usually takes care of it but adding some weight to the trunk of the car can help too. I've towed VW's with tow bars for more miles than I can remember. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
yes, you can put a bungee cord over the steering wheel loosely if the steering wheel wanders back and fort. if you put it on loose the wheel will still turn but keep it from wandering Wink
(And I have been towing bugs this way across the country for over 35 years)

Yes and I've towed more than a few with worn front end parts, what you'll notice is a quick back and forth usually after going around a corner at low speed.recently we almost destroyed a tow bar because the motion became severe before we could get it shut down. The loose bungee acts as a damper

The newest bars and those made within the last 10 yrs or so are made of thinner tubing, so they are prone to cracking and will not take much abuse.we have an old bar made in the 70s from heavy gauge square tubing and the u shaped pieces are also made of heavy gauge steel and attach separatley it weighs at least twice what the new ones do.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the others. A tow bar is a wise investment. Around $80 new.
I just bought a used one for $60 this weekend, along with some Harbor Freight towing light kit on sale for $20. I towed my bug 20 miles down to my work to paint it.
The towing company wanted $100 to tow it one way. Well worth buying one in my case.
And it towed like a dream at 55mph down the freeway! Cool
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had pretty good luck towing my '66 Sedan with a towbar the few times I've used it.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a VW tow bar in 1986 to tow a VW back from California, about 300 miles. I've used it locally for short distance since then, really does the job. This will NOT fit my Super Beetle though.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ClipperBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Couple Recommendations. Reply with quote

One thing I would recommend is to disconnect the battery when you tow it. Since your in neutral it shouldn't make a difference, but should somehow the car jump into gear and somehow power is able to get to the coil...you might have an issue ha.

Also, the tow bar I bought on amazon came with cotter pins, I recommend picking up safely style pins for the end that goes around your lower torsion bar. if the angle of the tow bar on your car is not level or if the cotter pin jumps (Like going over a bump) the pin may pop out easily.

I picked up a tow bar and it saved me the very next day when my clutch cable broke....
very inexpensive and handy to have around...even if you have to walk home and get it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: