Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bus chassis twist/door alignment
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
57palm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: bus chassis twist/door alignment Reply with quote

OK here is the deal. I am fitting all the doors and body metal on my 57 standard in preparation for some sheet metal work. Front doors are good,rear hatch good, deck lid good, the cargo doors were out. The top of the doors was not parallel with the top of chassis. This puzzled me as the van has been in no apparent accidents.

With the bus on 4 jackstands I found out I was able to rock the bus and twist the chassis. This would easily bring the doors in and out of alingment.Another way to put it is if you had the bus on three jack stand and jacked up the fourth corner high it would twist the chassis and bring the doors in or out ofalignment by up to 1/4 inch.

I have seen busses with good door alignment and bad. Now I think the difference is only how flat the ground is you are parked on. I have to say I am a little surprised at how easy this thing moves. My bus was out simply by having it on slightly uneven jack stands.

Any comments???
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought about this especially when my bus creaks and moans while going off road or over a curb. I look at busses and find cracks everywhere from that constant tweaking. Most common places I've found are: top of "b" and "c" pillars at the surface weld, the rear hatch upper at the hinge stops on a wide hatch, and where the bulkhead round stock meets the "b" pillar the weld is always cracked all the way 'round. Sheesh.
57palm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

Yeah,I have crawled all over this bus and found a few cracks here and there. Nothing major though. I guess it is normal...hence the belly pans on panels and deluxes.

Reuben
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

57palm wrote:
Yeah,I have crawled all over this bus and found a few cracks here and there. Nothing major though. I guess it is normal...hence the belly pans on panels and deluxes.

Reuben

Belly pans on double door, sunroof and highroofs busses. Also on Binzs and some of the earliest VW made double cabs. Are they found on anything else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: bus chassis twist/door alignment Reply with quote

57palm wrote:
With the bus on 4 jackstands I found out I was able to rock the bus and twist the chassis. This would easily bring the doors in and out of alingment.Another way to put it is if you had the bus on three jack stand and jacked up the fourth corner high it would twist the chassis and bring the doors in or out ofalignment by up to 1/4 inch.

I have seen busses with good door alignment and bad. Now I think the difference is only how flat the ground is you are parked on. I have to say I am a little surprised at how easy this thing moves. My bus was out simply by having it on slightly uneven jack stands.

Any comments???

you can actually make a bus sit on four jackstands? I have never been able to do that. every time I put a bus up on four jackstands, only one of the front stands is touching the beam. I always set them up on level concrete floors.

how rusty is your bus?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was curioous if swivel seat buses suffer from more stress cracks and tweaks than other buses? what about flipseat westys?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
57palm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: jack stands Reply with quote

Yeah Lind, my bus does not sit flat on 4 jack stands on level ground. That is how I found the alignment problem.........dropped it on 4 stands...........doors were out............found one stand was not touching....adjusted stands and brought doors back in. To align doors one front stand clearly bears more weight...is this normal........this does pose some problems with adjusting the cargo doors.........I guess you go for as good as possible with the understanding they are never perfect.

Reuben
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: