Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Off Road tool kit help needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Syncro Off Road tool kit help needed Reply with quote

I just got a decent bonus at work and feel like spending some of it on my Syncro.
I'll be attending Syncro fest in a couple weeks and was thinking of getting a hi lift jack, shovel, axe, chains, straps, that kind of stuff. Better to be prepared right! I already(only) have a small air compressor and tire repair kit.

Suggestions anyone? What are the off road must haves? Best price vendors?

Tia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Off Road tool kit help needed Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
I just got a decent bonus at work and feel like spending some of it on my Syncro.
I'll be attending Syncro fest in a couple weeks and was thinking of getting a hi lift jack, shovel, axe, chains, straps, that kind of stuff. Better to be prepared right! I already(only) have a small air compressor and tire repair kit.

Suggestions anyone? What are the off road must haves? Best price vendors?

Tia

Hi Tia,

This might be of some interest to you and may help you out a little, Its a list of recommended tools to take away with you.

http://campervanculture.com/2011/03/tools-to-take-away-in-a-syncro/

Jed
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a Hi-Lift you need a adapter to use it-
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_442_356/high_lift_vanagon_jack_adaptor.html
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4212&category_id=&category_parent_id=

I like this place for offroad stuff- http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

You can buy a Hi-Lift at just about any 4x4 place. I like the red one as it has a better base.

For Syncrofest where there are plenty of cars around a good recovery strap and a 3/4" shackle(stay away from smittybilt as they are grossly underrated) is about all you need.

Depending on your air compressor you may want to consider upgrading. The really cheap auto parts store units don't last long(except for the MV-50).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SyncroDoka that if traveling or offroading with a group you don't need a lot of things that you would normally need for solo. Strap/shackle, shovel, handheld CB radio (normally used on trails - not sure what the Syncro world uses) sturdy work gloves, proper recovery hooks front and rear, and a way to air up the tires would be paramount. Much beyond that for solo travel and your gear would be shaped by the type of terrain you intend to traverse. For instance, sand/desert/beach means sand ladders, and river crossings mean a tarp to cover the grille and snorkel (neither apply to Syncros, oddly), etc.

To me one of the best upgrade pieces of gear for any kind of offroad use would be a quality set of sturdy offroad tires.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any VHF radio suggestions? Any syncros got one mounted in their rig?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't those for boats?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, we will be glad to help you spend your money on toys.. er tools Smile

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/index.html
If you choose to build up a kit based around a Hi Lift, (very good idea)

1. I recommend the Wheel lift accessory because it allows you to get out of a hole by piling stuff under the tire.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you jack from the normal jack point, also a desireable part of the kit, it takes a lot more lifting to get the tire high enough off the ground to fill in a hole.

If you want hi lift winch ability, then you want the ORK and 30' of chain, and possibly also a snatch block (pulley)

lots of recovery gear ideas here
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/home.php?cat=268

here is an article about the Hi Lift
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.html

2. You might enjoy owning a set of Staun deflators
http://www.4by4connection.com/stauntirdef.html

3. The Bushranger Xjack has always interested me, buy one and tell us what you think <g>
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a second compressor, depending on your tire size, it can take a very long time to air all 4 back up to highway pressure.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I ordered some mil-spec tire deflators today Smile I got the standard and rock crawler versions, 1 of each.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/military-spec-multi-choice-rock-crawler-tire-deflators-p-5512.html

I am going to order a hi-lift jack too. Just haven't decided what size.

I need to get some straps/chains too. Any suggestions?
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Aren't those for boats?

why you need a VHF
http://www.bc4x4.com/features/2010/vhf/
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
Aren't those for boats?

why you need a VHF
http://www.bc4x4.com/features/2010/vhf/

Agreed, but that also means your group needs one operator's licence per equipped vehicle, might be tough to arrange.

I have a FCC Radiotelephone licence, I'm pretty sure I can use anything on the market, but I don't know anyone else that could go out with me in another van. Sad

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But only a simple exam to get the license, why not?

Bettery than the 2way walkies I use now.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you are talking about ham radios. I usually hear of VHF for boats- just different lingo.
The thing about CBs is that they are easy/cheap to get and many people have them, ham radios not so much. They are stronger and can travel much farther but someone has to be on the other end to pick you up. If you are using FRS 2 way radios right now anything is a upgrade.

The rock crawler deflator that you bought will probably never see use unless you are running bead lockers. The standard one goes more than low enough for most people. I rarely even go under 25 PSI which those deflators cannot even go to.
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that Cambodian Tire has their hi-lift jack on for $49.99 this weekend... Not an endorsement, just a notification! Smile
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

The rock crawler deflator that you bought will probably never see use unless you are running bead lockers. The standard one goes more than low enough for most people. I rarely even go under 25 PSI which those deflators cannot even go to.

Right now I run my 235/75r15 BFG MT at 28psi on the street and at SDM last year ran them at 18-20psi in the dirt. Your probably right, the low psi version may not get used except if I hit the sand or snow. What size tires do you run at 25psi?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Off Road tool kit help needed Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
What are the off road must haves?

Often overlooked, but...
No 1 on my list is an expedition level First Aid Kit
..and the knowledge to use it.

Classes are offered in wilderness medicine.. Do some research on whats available in your area... as they vary by quaility of instructor.
Check your local community college.

You don't need to be a medic. But a one week course will go a long towards being prepared for most all emergencies.

Also.. regarding hi-lift jacks. There is only one brand "Hi-Lift" and any other is a knock-off. I got by for years with a knock off. But there was no rebuild kit available, the paint was crap.. and the thing rusted into oblivion in 5 yrs.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(background, tire pressure calcs.. vehicle weight divided by max load of 4 tires, times max pressure.) In practice I find 120% to 140% of that calculation useable, subject to test driving. In the case of the 215, I think 140% is closer to what seems to actually work.

Mario runs a 215x75x15 bfg AT KO rated for 1765lbs @ 50 psi
If Mario runs 40psi street front, +5 rear, (thats 140% of the calculated pressure) then 25psi offroad makes sense for that tire, (24psi is the calculated 60% of his front street pressure)

a BFG KM2 mud terrain is rated 1985lbs@50psi

the 215 has a load range of 100, the 235 has a load range of 104, meaning the sidewall is stiffer on the 235

sample calculation for 215 tire, assume doka weight is 4000lbs (verify that) 4000lbs divided by (1765*4) times 50 = 28psi, times 1.4 = 40psi
60% of street pressure gives offroad pressure of 24psi.
sand at 50% of offroad gives 12 psi

sample calc for 235 tire, 4000/7940*50=25 psi, times 1.2 = 30psi street, offroad at 60% = 18psi.. sand at 50% of offroad gives 9psi

for your beefier tire, I think 120% of calculated pressure makes sense, it is 30psi.
What is your actual driving experience?
How does the wear pattern look with your current inflation, seem even accross? How does it handle pavement curves, not too much body roll?

for yanking
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/home.php?cat=268
ARB 8,000 KG Snatch Strap (ARB705)
SKU: ARB705

for the hi lift as a winch
Curt Manufacturing 3/8" x 20' Grade 70 Chain With Clevis Grab Hooks (J311)

ARB Snatch Block 9000 (10100020)
SKU: 10100020

For D-Ring Shackles, I prefer these beefy ones
http://www.4by4connection.com/drings.html
the 3/4 is rated at 6.5 tons,

whereas the normal 3/4" shackle from here:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=18458&cat=268&page=1
is rated for 4.75 tons
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I run 28 & 32 based on calculations you did for me last year. Tire wear is dead even and handling is very stable/good right up to 70mph (my trucks top speed)
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to mount shackles?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1084_159/smittybilt_2_receiver_shackle_bracket.html

also the normal front and rear tow loops on the van

then there is Alarics approach (always top quality)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: