Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can clutch freeplay be adjusted while engine is out?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Can clutch freeplay be adjusted while engine is out? Reply with quote

I have my engine out. Can I still adjust freeplay? Or do I have to wait until there's a load on it?

Last edited by bugbyte on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The engine must be installed.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact it's best to back off the adjustment on the cable/wing nut/nuts before installing the engine and adjust it after you get it back in. Especially if you have changed the clutch parts with new.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piemat
Snobbish Elite Volkswagen Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chance to make sure the wing nut isn't frozen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piemat wrote:

He means clean the threads and lightly grease them. If you take the wing nut all the way off (hint: DON'T), make sure that the cable is pulled taught so the clutch hook doesn't slip off the pedal hook.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
piemat wrote:

He means clean the threads and lightly grease them. If you take the wing nut all the way off (hint: DON'T), make sure that the cable is pulled taught so the clutch hook doesn't slip off the pedal hook.

Rather than using grease I use Anti-Seize. Grease tends to harden and collect dirt over time making the next removal attempt a challenge. I've never had that happen with Anti-Seize.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you adjust free play at the pedal, what you are really adjusting is the space between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate.

It's kind of difficult to do that if the pressure plate isn't there.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
When you adjust free play at the pedal, what you are really adjusting is the space between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate.

It's kind of difficult to do that if the pressure plate isn't there.

Exactly^ good point Doc... and I prefer to adjust it by pulling on the arm ( while adjusting) and seeing how far the arm moves before you "feel it" kiss the pressure plate.

If you have any pedal assembly or cable /tube issues you often find that the clutch is "over adjusted" and may "feel right" at the pedal but the throw out bearing is contacting the PP and spinning all the time ( which as we know leads to a much shortened life)

Also in my previous post what I was referring too is that if you do not back off the clutch adjustment when the engine is out... it can be difficult to put back in/mate to the bellhousing... if you change clutch parts ( new thicker disc and PP that has not collapsed some from wear and tear) the difference is there...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for the input. The reason my engine is out of the bug is because it was making a noise, sorta like a clanking sound. I just couldn't identify it. It was coming directly from the center of the engine, and was even running good. But with the noise I was scared something was dangerously wrong. So, I've torn down the engine and didn't find anything particularly wrong.

After a lot of thinking about it (you know that obsessed feeling I'm sure), I came up with the clutch cable being too tight as the possible cause. -
I'll let you know after I get the engine back in. Oh, and BTW, the engine has been a PIA to get in.

...Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugbyte wrote:
Guys, thanks for the input. The reason my engine is out of the bug is because it was making a noise, sorta like a clanking sound. I just couldn't identify it. It was coming directly from the center of the engine, and was even running good. But with the noise I was scared something was dangerously wrong. So, I've torn down the engine and didn't find anything particularly wrong.

After a lot of thinking about it (you know that obsessed feeling I'm sure), I came up with the clutch cable being too tight as the possible cause. -
I'll let you know after I get the engine back in. Oh, and BTW, the engine has been a PIA to get in.

...Rich

While it is out are you changing the clutch parts as well? check the clutch "sticky" to see if you have the right parts?

A bad throw out bearing or funky clutch parts can make sounds/knocking noises etc that have led many ( in experienced and otherwise) to believe that something is wrong with the engine internally but turned out to be external in nature..

do you have any pictures you can share?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope for something simple - Is the crank pulley tin in place? Check for it rubbing on the crank pulley itself. I had installed a filter/pump and didn't realize that I had to clearance the tin a little and it made one hell of a scarey sound. I thought I had a crank issue, but I didnt.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbyte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. It turned out that after I dropped the engine (again) that the #1 noise was coming from the fan rubbing against the shroud. It would only do it when the alternator was strapped down. I broke the fan down and found that the smaller support plate, the one between the two large ones, was actually missing. (TTPO: thanks to previous owner). I took one off of a generator I had in the corner of the garage, and I added two more shims just to play it safe. Voila'! - No more noise.

The #2 noise was indeed coming from the throw out bearing being adjusted prior to putting the engine back in. While I was in there I replaced the throw out bearing and the clutch. Woohoo!

I'm looking forward to driving my bug more than fixing it.

Thanks for all your inputs.

http://www.1974beetle.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: