Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stabilizer bar or Sway bar ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabbersword
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Stabilizer bar or Sway bar ?? Reply with quote

I am in need of a new Stabilizer bar for my 69 sporty and have been un-able to find one. I come across sway bars during my search but have not found the elusive Stabilizer bar.

Can some one tell me the difference between the two, or is there?

Thanks
DubKru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I know of, unless its like a brand thing: "Acme Stabilizer Bar"
LetsGoCamping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you mixing up the front stabilizer bar with the steering damper like I did? Here is Bus Boys example of the damper:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
The Steering Damper is a sideways "shock absorber" that dampens the bumps and irregularities encountered on the road surface throughout your steering system. The best hint to know when a Steering Damper has gone bad is that the Steering Wheel begins to "wiggle" under load as it's going down the highway. The installation of a Steering Damper was standard equipment from 1963 through 1979, optional up to 1962.

If not, from what I can decipher from the Bentley front axle picture, the "sway bar" would appear to be the "stabilizer bar" since no specific "stabilizer bar" is mentioned.
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the terms are interchangable. When I needed to fix the bushings on my Oldmobile sway bar, I could find no reference to "sway bar" only "stabilizer" It's just a fancy way of saying "sway bar", I guess.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typesoneandtwo wrote:
As far as I know, the terms are interchangable. When I needed to fix the bushings on my Oldmobile sway bar, I could find no reference to "sway bar" only "stabilizer" It's just a fancy way of saying "sway bar", I guess.

Let us not forget the alternative term, anti-roll bar!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubKru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say sway-bar is the alternative to anti-sway bar. But that might lead us to a semantics war. Razz
jabbersword
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone’s input but I am just going to come to the conclusion that the Stabilizer Bar and Sway Bar is the same thing.

For anyone who is interested and has a copy of the Robert Bentley Official Service Manual for Type 2 can look at chapter 2 Front axle section Fig. 1-1 shows a diagram with a what they call a Stabilizer Bar.

Another Reference would be the (Fix your Volkswagen) by Larry Johnson Page 147 Fig. G-4.

Again thanks for the inputs
VWGeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean. The stock Sway bar is not even worth putting back on the bus. Do youself a favor and Use this one. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4051
Get the stainless steele clamp kit and you will be very happy with the results.
highrev9k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put those empi bars on this afternoon and they are amazing!! got eveything from cip and the grand total was $230 shipped. worth it. i could fly around corners now if i weren't afraid of shredding my tires to bits! one thing i think i've noticed is that before the kyb gas adjusts on all four corners did not seem too harsh, as many on here have said. the bus used to just float on down the road, swaying to smooth out the bumps with a decent amount of damping. now i'm pretty sure the ride has become stiffer and possibly a little harsh up front. still, a major improvement, i never thought a bus could drive like that!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: 1968~79 VW Type 2, EMPI front & rear anti-roll bars Reply with quote

highrev9k wrote:
I just put those empi bars on this afternoon and they are amazing!! got eveything from cip and the grand total was $230 shipped. worth it. i could fly around corners now if i weren't afraid of shredding my tires to bits! one thing i think i've noticed is that before the kyb gas adjusts on all four corners did not seem too harsh, as many on here have said. the bus used to just float on down the road, swaying to smooth out the bumps with a decent amount of damping. now i'm pretty sure the ride has become stiffer and possibly a little harsh up front. still, a major improvement, i never thought a bus could drive like that!

1968~79 VW Type 2, 7/8 inch diameter, EMPI heavy-duty front anti-roll bar

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4051

1968~79 VW Type 2, 3/4 inch diameter, EMPI heavy-duty rear anti-roll bar

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4049

How does the 3/4 inch diameter, EMPI heavy-duty rear anti-roll bar fit onto to the rear suspension and chassis? Does it attach forwards to the rear-suspension torsion-bar tube or rearwards to the engine support bar (aka moustache bar)?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaredm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968~79 VW Type 2, EMPI front & rear anti-roll bars Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
highrev9k wrote:

1968~79 VW Type 2, 7/8 inch diameter, EMPI heavy-duty front anti-roll bar

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4051

1968~79 VW Type 2, 3/4 inch diameter, EMPI heavy-duty rear anti-roll bar

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4049

How does the 3/4 inch diameter, EMPI heavy-duty rear anti-roll bar fit onto to the rear suspension and chassis? Does it attach forwards to the rear-suspension torsion-bar tube or rearwards to the engine support bar (aka moustache bar)?

I just installed those same bars this weekend and they mount with an L bracket to the bottom bolt that holds the shocks on. Than you use a U clamp to mount tham to the frame rails.
VWGeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear bar runs along the torsion tube that is forward from the transmission. In the event that you have an automatic transmission I would recomend the WHITELINE unit. The Empi will not fit.
I use oil in the front and gas charged in the rear( insert joke please).
This combo gives a very nice ride with the bars forward and back.
jabbersword
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGeorge wrote:
I understand what you mean. The stock Sway bar is not even worth putting back on the bus. Do youself a favor and Use this one. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4051
Get the stainless steele clamp kit and you will be very happy with the results.

Thanks for the link, I just ordered it.
If this works out I will order the rear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: