Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last weekend saw a Blue 2wd westy heading south on route 84 in Illinois near Galena. Didn't get a picture, but it was refreshing to see another Vanagon on the road...

Saw a red? 2wd Westy in Rockford IL near Alpine and Harrison by Sundstrand. I don't know if they saw me, but I saw them! No pic as I was driving...

AND finally, saw this GEM on my way to work this am:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has CA plates and looks very rust free. Didn't happen to see an owner around unless they were snoozing in back. It was right off the highway, so I hope it's not a breakdown.

It's neat to see these coming out of the woodwork...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be my strangest sighting.

Picking my kid up at Korean culture camp today in Albany, NY. Stopped in to see my brother in law who works downtown in one of the towers.

Went up to observation deck, and there are pay binocular units around the deck looking in various directions. My kid was randomly inserting quarters, looking for a minute and then leaving for another unit.

I am looking through one of them at the northern part of city and I spy a Vanagon. My wife is laughing hysterically as she says I am the only person who would spy a Vanagon from atop a skyscraper.

I said no, any one of the people I will share this story with on the Samba would probably spy the same thing.

Picture wouldn't take through binocular, so this is best I got. To the left of the right brown smokestack? Almost center photo. White van. Looked good in binocular, Thule box on top. Kinda like Where's Waldo, except with VWs.

On way back we spotted a brown bay westy and a white bay high top shooting down Mass turnpike heading west.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Vanagon, but funny nonetheless.

Car show yesterday with my son and Thingamajigger. Don't usually enter my van in car shows, but it was less walking and nice to set up shop in middle. Only other VW's were a square back and this:

Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white syncro high top I saw on the 22 frwy was cool. A ton of gages on the dash. Saw him about 5 6 car ahead of me and I floored it to catch up to him before my exit. Waved to him as I blasted past him in the slow lane and he honked back.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this clean tin top in Escondido today.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Sat late afternoon saw white westy travelling on road for White Lake (Almonte area), we were sitting on lawn chatting. Did I get excited. First one I've seen since selling Scooby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeadyWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a real estate agent in my area with a white pre-86 westy, that looks to be in really good condition. I see it often, I'll have to chat with him next time im out
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Utah for work this week.

On way back from a great couple hours on the Provo River flyfishing (3 good sized German Browns), I saw this Westy in Salt Lake City.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a yellow Westy in Sag Harbor, NY a few daze ago. No Pictures as I was driving the bosses Escalade,(back to the dealer!). Gave him a thumbs up, but no response.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway 80 East, about Park City area. Savannah Beige Westy, fully loaded with bikes and struggling to get up the hill. Was going West and did not get a picture. May have been same one I saw yesterday in SLC.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the Tour de France today saw a tin top Vanagon on the side of the road of a big Pyreneen climb. It stood out amongst the hordes of much newer campers. Probably would not have stood out 25 yrs ago.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While taking the minivan for state inspection this morning another one sneaked up on me. Just don't see that many new arrivals anymore and it's always a pleasant surprise when one appears. This one is just a plain '88 hardtop passenger van with automatic, nothing special, but it seems to be in very nice condition.

smittykins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently moved, and there's a maroon Westy about half a mile down the road from me.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the dog to the river yesterday midday, a break for both of us in this heat, and spotted this one in the parking lot at the James River Park. The owner is probably a kayaker from the looks of the stuff in the van. Never saw him, but a young couple was walking past it as we prepared to leave and I heard the girl say, "That's the car I want!" The boy had found himself a keeper.

0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this at a gardening store...

Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
found this at a gardening store...

Those welds are causing a bit of seam rust.
Someone should tell this gardening store that rust never sleeps. Wink
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On I-95 in Virginia today while northbound approaching the Ladysmith exit at the rest areas, I saw a late model steel blue Westy headed south. It was in a severely slowed down fast lane, bumper to bumper with a thousand other cars. Alloys, bra, and I would have noticed more but had to pay attention to my own lane.
blaze80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a great looking Westy ( tan with SA grille) in Bristol, VA behind the WellsFargo- let me know who you are- your van was awesome and my family just moved to Johnson City!!
/// '92 mk2 Jetta GL 8v (SOLD)
/// '89 'Bluestar' (SOLD)
/// '04 Audi S4 (SOLD)
/// '99 Jetta GLX VR6 (SOLD)
/// '84 Vanagon GL (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boulder, CO. On 2, 90min walks in 2 days I saw 9 Vanagons and 15 Eurovans.

Today, 2 Syncros and a few decrepit Bays.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving up Echo Summit today a nice Westy coming down. Later, at the Folsom, CA REI, a tin top with a Subie conversion parked next to me while I left.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Jump to:
Page 99 of 170

Jump to: