Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
On my way back to the office, corner of hwy 9 and Short, westward bound at this point. 2 guys as far as I could tell from this distance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Waverly, Iowa? Do we now know your undisclosed location?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

A silver Westy parked next to my silver Westy at Elkins Resort on Priest Lake, ID.

Here's the ~30 mile dirt road over Pass Creek pass leading to Priest Lake (it's also accessible from the south via a paved road).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

On the Berkshire spur of the Mass pike..

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

campism wrote:

Waverly, Iowa? Do we now know your undisclosed location?

Still undisclosed, Waverly is close tho Wink That sign for a gun show is to get ppl to go to Waverly to buy a gun... go figure, ppl got to be told where to buy a gun!?!?

More info can be gleaned from my Fri Jul 01, 2016 post of a Syncro in this thread Wink
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

I saw like 8 of them this weekend around town, I was driving each time so I didn't grab a photo... but seriously... the world is starting to taunt me.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

I love this thread, but I'll be damned that I drive my rig daily and still haven't appeared somewhere in here.

Guess I'm gonna have to dare someone to find me out there on the road. The prize would be a beer.

Just did a drive out to the Poconos for camping this past weekend, not one other Westy in site the whole trip.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
I love this thread, but I'll be damned that I drive my rig daily and still haven't appeared somewhere in here.

Hey, we've driven our Westy right through your area a couple of times and you never saw us!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Perhaps the PO got clever and installed a cloaking device

It just needs to be switched off

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Destructo wrote:

Hey, we've driven our Westy right through your area a couple of times and you never saw us!

Haha...Challenge excepted!

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Spotted yesterday when returning from the park. I spied this one parked beside a repair shop and went around the block to get a pic. By that time he was on the move and by the time I got to the front of the lot he'd exited and was making a U turn. There are small antlers attached to the front of the luggage rack. Second one of those I've seen in town. Must be a thing.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

While waiting for the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor (SJI), there were two other Westy's in the queue. Had a good chin-wag with Rick and Eric.

You can just spot them in this (sorry, rather poor) photo:

docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
While waiting for the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor (SJI), there were two other Westy's in the queue. Had a good chin-wag with Rick and Eric.

You can just spot them in this (sorry, rather poor) photo:

Great day to be on the islands! I almost tried to cross over today, but settled for puttering around Washington Park with the kids then eating at the Brown Lantern! Enjoy!
hozbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Saw this a few weeks back driving SB I-5 in Seattle. Had fender flares, Fuchs rims and what seems to be a Porsche power plant underneath. [/img]
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

That might be the same 911 powered van they had when I worked up on Cap Hill, back in the mid-'80's.

VAG power

y u rune klassik?
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Past Saturday driving west through Quebec and Ontario we stopped counting at 50 Westies coming the other way. Nice to see so many on the road.
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

kenmag wrote:
Past Saturday driving west through Quebec and Ontario we stopped counting at 50 Westies coming the other way. Nice to see so many on the road.

Yup. Ben has been busy. (He's fixed a LOT of them in Quebec)
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That might be the same 911 powered van they had when I worked up on Cap Hill, back in the mid-'80's.

VAG power

Akers and Ferrari are still on Cap Hill, but M-B, BMW, Complete Automotive and others have moved. Moto shops Pokes (closed) and Deweys (moved) were gone by the mid 90s. The neighborhood has changed a ton since I moved there in 1990.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Pokes was like a combination candy store and old timey hardware store. I spent many many hours and pay checks in there after I bought my R75/5. Cap Hill was full of all manner of amazing wierdos back then. I stealth camped in my split there and in the University district for a good part of a year before moving to West Seattle, which was also full of amazing wierdos

y u rune klassik?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

Four Westies, a new high, five with a tintop.

A white one in NE Seattle, a dark burgundy one near Carkeek Pk in NW Seattle, a Titian Red (like mine) just off Holman Rd, also NW Seattle, and an early 80s blue one, just of 15th ave near 80th, also NW Seattle. Those were all Westies…there was a tintop on 92nd in Maple Leaf that I see everytime I go through there.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

A white Westy in Hood River, OR

A Syncro Westy (deep red/burgundy w/ white roof, SA lights, bull bar) on the way up to Mt Adams (I couldn't do the Westy Wave as I wasn't in mine).

a Savannah Beige westy alongside I-5 in S Washington.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 104 of 169

Jump to: