Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear side marker lights, wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:58 pm    Post subject: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

The US market vanagons got a rectangular marker light on each side, near the rear. Euro vehicles did not. Mine is an import from Europe, without the markers. I'd like to add them.

Does anyone have a photo showing where the lights get wired to? I found a pic of the little harness for the markers, but cannot find where the wires end is supposed to attach to. Seems like it might connect straight to the tail light??

https://vancafe.com/side-marker-wire-harness-with-bulb-holder/

Any leads are appreciated, and a photo is worth 1000 words!

Thanks in advance!
In the gearbox: Swepco 202
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

I would not drill holes in the body to add them. I would find some lights to mount to the bumper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174380049722?itmmeta=01HW...BM7O3HzeFj

and then I'd add something like this inside the van at the top of the rear window.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/335074993057?itmmeta=01HW...R57xvs3hYw
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

I agree on not drilling to add side markers. As for wiring, the side marker light is typically always on with the parking lights but the wiring mod below makes it flash with the turn signals:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623823
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598035&highlight=side+markers
danfromsyr wrote:
I don't want to kick you or them too much, but I'm not keen to trailer lights added to the side of vans..

what I do on the stock units is replace the whole bulb& holder with a red 3/4in LED Jammie
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

they're pretty cheap on fleabay.
they stuff right into the housing using the supplied 3/4in grommet
they're 100% waterproof and will never fail again..

for extra effect I also hook the +12v to the proper tail/running light
but I hook the -Neg to the +Pos of the blinker (turn signal) circuit..
by doing this it'll illuminate normally as a side light
but when your turn signal is on it'll interupt the LEDs -neg path and then the side light will blink as well.
I find this makes the van much more visible.. just be sure to make good weatherproof electrical connections for longevity

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

agree with the agrees. If you have a metal bumper you can use these on the end caps. These might be what Jim's quote might be referring to.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-lights/led-accent-lighting/led-wired-bolts

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-lights/tru...+color-Red
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

Some Mercedes models used essentially the same side marker lights
If having them be LED appeals to you.
Same mounting hole requirements.
Can replace exisiting VW ones without changing the VW holes.

Aftermarket $20-30 for a pair, shipped.

Mark

tdivan82 wrote:
The US market vanagons got a rectangular marker light on each side, near the rear. Euro vehicles did not. Mine is an import from Europe, without the markers. I'd like to add them.

Does anyone have a photo showing where the lights get wired to? I found a pic of the little harness for the markers, but cannot find where the wires end is supposed to attach to. Seems like it might connect straight to the tail light??

https://vancafe.com/side-marker-wire-harness-with-bulb-holder/

Any leads are appreciated, and a photo is worth 1000 words!

Thanks in advance!
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

I appreciate all the responses, however, where that factory marker bulb pigtail gets wired to is the question at hand.

As for drilling holes, they are already present. This van has some... history. It began life as a US market air cooled, went to europe and became diesel powered, and then later returned to the US, but with all euro electric and lighting.

Long story short, the holes are already present in the body (covered by an adhesive strip). Installing either the factory original markers or some aftermarket LED ones should be plug-n-play.... except that there's nowhere to plug them into.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

Id not hesitate to drill holes to add these lights had there been no holes present. I am clueless why some advise otherwise.
As for wiring, the tail lamp circuit is a very good place to get the power from. that way these marker lamps will illuminate when the tail lamps are on, just as the factory did it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

tdivan82 wrote:
I appreciate all the responses, however, where that factory marker bulb pigtail gets wired to is the question at hand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

Wired straight to the tail lights, easy then. Thank you Kamz!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear side marker lights, wiring Reply with quote

The wiring and an alternative are mentioned in the danfromsyr post above. Mentioning it so you don't miss the alternative.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: