Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Heya!

I searched the topics far and wide, but did not find what i was looking for.
I am currently in the proccess of making a bullbar for my syncro and i wanted to design it as close to the original (can't find to buy it anywhere...).
If any of you possess such bullbar, i would be most happy if you could help me out and fill in the dimensions on the pictures. When i finish the 3D model, I can upload the STP file for everyone to use Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

The dimensions you can get pretty close just by measuring off the van.

The uprights probably need to mount to the frame rails on the inside, so that's that measurement. They probably should be 1/2" steel.

The overall width is the width of the van.

the height between the upper section is whatever space allows unobstructed headlights to view through.

I wouldn't get so hung up on the measurements to be honest as long as the uprights are bolted in securely, the rest will fall into place.

You can see here what measurements you need.

TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Yeah, that is my plan B which would work pretty ok, but that leaves the diameters of tubes and sheet thicknesses.
Thnx for pic and rough estimations, I didn't yet put my mind to this plan B Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

The T3 Knowledge Exchange on FB has a lot of people in Europe. I saw a post with one of those bullies a few days ago, will have to try and find it.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Hmm..... That car and license plate look pretty familiar, but I don't remember tossing any red tape at it.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Found the one on FB and asked if he might get some measurements for you. Stand by.
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Thanks, much appreciated Smile
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Hmm..... That car and license plate look pretty familiar, but I don't remember tossing any red tape at it.

What about a red Finnish bullbar?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

I would go with 1/4" plate for the flat uprights, some gussets would help lateral wiggle and flex
1/8" wall tubes.

Is red the popular bullbar color in Finland ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

The OP has connected with someone with the bully and has agreed to get measurements.
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Yea, i will share what i get here, for future enthusiast in need of a bb Smile
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

if i may make a few suggestions... a pet peeve of mine is any sort of guard that crosses the headlight beam. this causes bad reflections in fog/snow/rain driving that reduces your forward vision.

i can't argue with the desired looks of the bar but the physics of the available vanagon mounting points are all wrong due to the mount point being so low with the bar being so tall. this creates an incredibly strong lever that will either a) bend at the mount point, or b) push back onto the grill. this is fine if the bar is for looks, but the protection offered is going to be very small so have low expectations for warding off impacts with anything without body damage from the bar pushing into the front of the van.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with you on that, it's however forbidden to hit anything with a vanagon.. Very Happy
Jokes aside, i saw one guy fix the bb through the front grill to the body, i haven't taken a peek under the grill for some time so i do not know where could it be attached, but i will definetely take a look at that option.
Also i plan to attach the bb better than it is in the OEM version.
Will post some pics when i get that far.
Thnx for concerns though. Appreciate them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Crash bar attachments?

Duncan
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

TinyPickle wrote:
Jokes aside, i saw one guy fix the bb through the front grill to the body, i haven't taken a peek under the grill for some time so i do not know where could it be attached, but i will definetely take a look at that option.

attaching at the top, if even with 3 attachment points on the top bar to 3 flat plates spaced across the exterior sheet metal (make them stainless or color matched) would add a tremendous amount of strength to the entire assembly. i'd wager you'd be able to push a vehicle forward with this and ward off small animal impacts. you'd also have strength to mount a bike rack, etc. that would apply force in the reverse direction, outward.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

If the uprights use 1/2" steel I can't imagine you'd need any reinforcement anywhere. But there's the weight thing. A 36x8x0.5 (guessing what an upright averages out too) piece of 1/2 plate steel weighs 40 lbs. Times 2 that's 80lbs, plus the tubing, make it an even 100lbs maybe? That's a lot of steel. Maybe 1/2" is overkill.

Just thinking about the weight, maybe 1/4" plate steel is strong enough, like Crankey said.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

[quote="4Gears4Tires".

Just thinking about the weight, maybe 1/4" plate steel is strong enough, like Crankey said.[/quote]

Visually it seems small but I think with the horizontal tubes welded on it would be fine. No speed holes though.
Really depends on what you expect it to do.
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

The original weights 15 kg, that info is from homologation some guy send me.
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Help - Dimensions (Taubenreuther - Military Finnish T3s) Reply with quote

Here are some measurements from a friendly german Ische Beck, who just got his BB from workshop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: