Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Front Shaft rehab questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kengineeer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Syncro Front Shaft rehab questions Reply with quote

My front CVs went out on me on a trip back in like 2018 and the outer CV joints were out of stock at the time. So, in the interest of getting back on the road, I had a shop install some LoBro complete axles. That is what is currently installed on the van.

I am currently rebuilding the shafts that came off of the van in 2018. I have new outer and inner CV joints from T3Technique. The outers are LoBro and the inners are T3's high angle joints.

I have a few questions as I've run into some difficulty. First, it was really difficult to remove the front outer CV joints from the shafts. I know that the little clip is a pain in the butt, but that's not what I'm talking about here. We had to use a drift pin and tap the joint off... a little on this side, and a little on that side... to get it to come off, even after clearing the spring clip. Now, with the new joints, they will only slide on a certain amount before not wanting to move any more. We even tried some smart tapping, but it just won’t go any more. I can feel the spring clip yield and I can get the joint started up the splines, and it probably gets on there about 0.250” before stopping.

Page 40.32 of my Bentley shows some VW tools for pressing the joint on. Obviously, I don’t have these tools. But, there is a Caution note that says “Caution, Chamfer on inside diameter of ball hub (splines) must face contact shoulder on axle shaft.” I think they’re talking about the initial engagement chamfer and not a chamfer on the inner part of the splines themselves.

I do not know if the shafts that are on the van are original or if they’d been replaced at some point. I cannot locate any markings on the shafts themselves. One of the front outer joints has some numbers that look like “LOBRO 27 85 W GERMANY”. I’m not sure if LOBRO were the factory supplier or if the “27 85” is a week and year manufacturing stamp. All this to say, I don’t know if the shafts I’m working with are stock or aftermarket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On this photo of the shaft end, it seems that there is a definitive line what separates the knurling on the splines.

So, my questions is really, has anyone run into this difficulty reassembling the outer CV joints onto the shaft? If so, what was your solution?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front Shaft rehab questions Reply with quote

I’ve done more outer CVs across multiple platforms. Sometimes they come right off and go back on just as easily. Others fight you to the point I actually had a chip imbed in my chest.

I’ll get flamed for this, but I find new clips cause installation problems. I try to always use the original clips.

It’s not uncommon to chase the splines with a file, but before you do that, I’d remove the clip from the original and see how it fits. I’d then try the same with the new joint. Get it where you can get it on and off with medium effort. I have a short piece of roll bar tubing I slip over the stub so I can hammer the joint home without accidentally hitting the threads or the stub splines.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front Shaft rehab questions Reply with quote

LOBRO is the manufacturer for VW.
If it's aftermarket Lobro, you won't see the VW logo.
27th week 1985, so they must be original. Likely to not have the groove for the newer thermoplastic boots either.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Front Shaft rehab questions Reply with quote

Get a good set of small files, jewelers file with straight & curved blades.
You can clean those splines up no problem where they will work fine.
Those mis-shaped teeth do not really affect the slide on/ off of a cv joint.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: