Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shortend axles will allow for how much more tire?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireBug1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Shortend axles will allow for how much more tire? Reply with quote

I'm considering putting the shorter 66 axles in my 67. I have all the parts required. Currently I'm running 205/60R15 on Eagle Alloy 15x5.5 wheels. I want to swap to shorter axles so I can run a wider tire.

My question is this...

Going with the shorter axles will allow me to go how wide in terms of wheel and tire? Also, is it hard to find wheels wider than 5.5"?

Thanks in advance.
rory_a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 225/45r17 tires on the rear of my early model with short axles. That's as big as I can fit under the stock fender. I ended up with 1/2 clearance between the tires and fenders, the same between the tires and inner fender wells. The 225/45 is roughly 8" tread section, so I figure the overall fender well area width is roughly 9". That's without getting out the old tape measure. My set up fits so I'm not too worried about the width, though it might be a good idea to measure it.

There are a lot of wheels wider than 15x6, your concern should be offset, as much as looks. No to many street wheels in classic styles for wide-5 lug though. Looks like most people that stick to wide-5 go with 15x5, 15x5.5, or 15x6.5 BRMs, or 15x6 Empis with the bigger tires. Check how much space you have all around right now, and figure the shorter axles are going to pull the wheels in about 3/4". That should help you with measurements. Picking wheels and offsets is a pain in the ass, lots of math and drawings and figures, etc. Do it right, everything bolts up. Guess, even estimated guessing, you're on pins and needles till the car's on it's new shoes and on the ground. I prefer the latter, much more fun.

There's a couple stickies on lowering Link Pin and Ball Joint cars, with lots of pictures and specs to give you and idea of what other people have done, combos that work so you know what will work for you.
FireBug1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I better do my homework.
artie325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of doing an axle swap. I would be finished, but I am waiting on cip1 for my new bearings and seals. I have 205/55/16 tires mounted on 16x7 Porsche Fuchs. Prior to the swap, the tires would just rub on the fender. I will post pictures as soon as I get the bearings so you can see how the axles help tuck the tires in the fender well. Hopefully, the bearings will arrive in a couple days. I can't wait to see the difference myself.
rory_a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help, but... I had and early Ghia, early short axles, and CB disc brakes, Porsche Boxster 16x7 (40mm offset) wheels and 205/55vr16 tires. Wrecked the car, and swapped that set-up directly into it's replacement, a '66 Ghia. Sold that car but kept the set up, and swapped it into a long axle '68 Bug. With the Ghias I was using standard 1/4" spacers to clear the inner fenders, and had to roll the fender lips flat with a slight flare to the fender the stuff the tires.

Once into the '68 long axle, I couldn't drop the car onto the ground, the tires were completely supporting the car against the inner fenders. A hefty $175 purchase of some H&R race-spec Porsche pattern bolt-on spacers in 27mm width did the trick. Basically, I needed the long axles to fit the tires. Every bit of clearance gained by swapping to short axles was eaten up in offset.

And if it helps, I have now swapped that same set up with new rotors (5x100) into my '60 that's supposed to have short axles, running 17x7 (42mm offset) NB BRMs and 225/45vr17s, and am simply running two hardened 5/16 grade 8 washers per stud, as the thinnest spacer is too thick to fit the tires without rubbing the fenders. All I had to do was grind the body-to-shock tower mount gusset smooth with the frame to get the extra bit of clearance to fit that much tire.

But you're right, do your homework, take some measurements, check Airkewled because he has a really handy diagram with width, offset, etc measurement spots so you can figure out what will fit and what you need to do to make it fit.
rory_a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I believe the 16x7 Fuchs have a low offset, so you won't have the same problem I had with my Boxster wheels.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gained roughly one full inch going to short axles on my '67.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of comparison pictures, before and after axles swap:

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FireBug1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats quite a difference. And thats the same wheel & tire, just before and after shortend axles? What size tire and wheel?
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when shortening an axle, what happens to the spring plate, the

axle still has to bolt to that. Guess I'm not seeing the big picture Embarassed Question
FireBug1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
Also, when shortening an axle, what happens to the spring plate, the axle still has to bolt to that. Guess I'm not seeing the big picture Embarassed Question

The point where the spring plate attaches to the axle tube remains the same for long and short axles. VW lengthend the end casting on the axle tube to match the longer axles. So, the difference in length is found outboard of the spring plate / axle tube interface.

That sounds confusing. Does any of that make any sense?
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireBug1966 wrote:
hpw wrote:
Also, when shortening an axle, what happens to the spring plate, the axle still has to bolt to that. Guess I'm not seeing the big picture Embarassed Question

The point where the spring plate attaches to the axle tube remains the same for long and short axles. VW lengthend the end casting on the axle tube to match the longer axles. So, the difference in length is found outboard of the spring plate / axle tube interface.

That sounds confusing. Does any of that make any sense?

yes, sure does, makes sense now.

thanks
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely at the axle tube, you'll see the tube, and the end casting which houses the bearings/spring plate bolts to it etc.....

Firebug......yes, same wheels and tires. I had to do it after adding my CB wide 5 disc brakes. The before pics are stock '67 axle tubes/end castings. The after pics are an early set up. I'm runnin 195/65r15's, and 5.5" 5 spokes. I think it looks like a good off set right now. I have just enough room to go a bit bigger if I wanted too.

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

How much wider are the wide 5 rear disc brakes from a stock drum? And does anyone know if a rear disc brake kit using 5 on130 (porsche pattern) is wider in width than a 5 on 130 drum setup using later backing plates? I am trying to add rear disc to a 67 without changing rear axles. Vehicle is not very much lower than stock.

Jeremy Goodspeed
www.goodspeedmotoring.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know w/ my set up, it added right at about an inch per side. Don't know about the drums. I've washed my hands of them things for good. Laughing

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: