Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus wheels - 14"/15"/16"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvschmitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Please help me understand wheel offset Reply with quote

My '67 bus came with these 15" rims and old dry-rotted 185/60 tires. I'm trying to get new tires and had planned to use these same rims with 205/75 tires (to get back closer to the original tire diameter). But comparing these rims to the one original 14" rim, the offset seems to be very different. When I jacked up the rear, the camber kicked in and tipped the top of the tire out quite a bit.I don't think I can get a taller tire under the rear wheel well with these rims.
So does anyone have a recommendation for reproduction wheels?
If not, can you explain how to measure the offset, or what offset my should be?

Many thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should be okay

take some measurements on your wheels and compare to the 5.5 inch wheels below will absolutely put at least a 195 wide tire on the back of a 67.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1415303

looks like the offset is quite similar

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is a bus rim on the right in the photo it looks to me to have quite a different offset that would make a substantial difference in how a tire fit in the wheelwell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kvschmitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
If that is a bus rim on the right in the photo it looks to me to have quite a different offset that would make a substantial difference in how a tire fit in the wheelwell.

Yes that is the one original wheel (14") I got with the bus. The star rims are 15"
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white spoked rims you have are commonly referred to as "Jackmans" and were designed for off road bugs and buggies. They likely have a beetle offset, as least those that aren't 8-10" wide. With a full size tire, they may not fit in the bus rear wheel well, as they were not designed to be there. You might have to get a tire mounted to see if it will fit the bus. You can deflate the tire for install clearance, then inflate it once you have it past the wheel well lip.

Or, get your stock wheels cleaned up and buy new 14" tires.
kvschmitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the stock wheels, I would certainly use them, but I just have that one.
I'm considering these: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6626
Comments?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely someone in florida has some stock rims for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvschmitz wrote:
If I had the stock wheels, I would certainly use them, but I just have that one.
I'm considering these: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6626
Comments?

Those still have beetle backspacing, so you won't be gaining much over what you have.

If you want 15" wheels that fit your bus without modification, buy some 15" bus wheels. Or find three more 14" wheels and go that route. You may be able to find some tall narrow tires to fit those jackmans, but it will be tight. There are folks looking for those wheels, so you could sell them off to recoup some of your expenditures toward stock wheels.

If you really want to keep an aftermarket wheel setup, you may have to make some compromises.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

X2.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

X3

Less than 15 miles away:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1550412
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvschmitz wrote:
Comments?

those are the same style wheels i referenced earlier. 5.5s will absolutely put at least 195s on your 67, pretty sure they will fit 205s as well.

Still, if your current wheels are 5 inches wide, they will probably work, just throw a tire on one before you go order replacements, if it works, great, if not, you can still order other wheels, even stock wheels. personally, i would NEVER put 14s on, 15s look so much better. Unless, of course, you just want stock...

Uli

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
kvschmitz wrote:
Comments?

those are the same style wheels i referenced earlier. 5.5s will absolutely put at least 195s on your 67, pretty sure they will fit 205s as well.

Still, if your current wheels are 5 inches wide, they will probably work, just throw a tire on one before you go order replacements, if it works, great, if not, you can still order other wheels, even stock wheels. personally, i would NEVER put 14s on, 15s look so much better. Unless, of course, you just want stock...

Width is one thing, but offset comes in to play, too. You could fit a seven inch wide rim in there with the correct offset. But that 5.5 incher may not fit if it pushes out so far that the tire rubs the arch.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mandraks wrote:
kvschmitz wrote:
Comments?

Width is one thing, but offset comes in to play, too. You could fit a seven inch wide rim in there with the correct offset. But that 5.5 incher may not fit if it pushes out so far that the tire rubs the arch.

agreed, measuring or test fitting will make all the guesswork unnecessary.

Uli

kvschmitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much. I thought I searched the site for wheels and couldn't find any reasonable or local. I guess I searched wrong. I will check out the 14s and call the tire store to see if they have one I can test fit on current rims before I decide. I kinda like the look of the jackmans and I'm not concerned with 'all stock'. I really just want a setup that will make the bus ride well and get up to a decent speed.
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were buses ever sold with black rims? I want to throw bias plys on my dove blue 55 panel and was thinking about going black.

There is a picture in this book http://www.amazon.ca/Original-VW-Bus-Restorers-1950-1979/dp/1906133352 page 16/17 of a 56 with black rims...I like it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
Were buses ever sold with black rims? I want to throw bias plys on my dove blue 55 panel and was thinking about going black.

There is a picture in this book http://www.amazon.ca/Original-VW-Bus-Restorers-1950-1979/dp/1906133352 page 16/17 of a 56 with black rims...I like it.

They were painted black first, then painted white on the outer half. You could just paint them black and run them like that for awhile. Then if you ever get tried of it, paint the outer side white like original.
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
jeffff wrote:

They were painted black first, then painted white on the outer half. You could just paint them black and run them like that for awhile. Then if you ever get tried of it, paint the outer side white like original.

Ahh yeah, I never thought of that!! great idea.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:

It looks like Postal Yellow Buses had black wheels.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched but could not find. What is the backspace of a 14'' bus wheel? Mine are getting powder coated now and I am about to order some adapters for my trailer to use bus wheels.
Jonesy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie Wheels Reply with quote

nicko wrote:
The date stamps on the ausie ones were also located the inside of the rim (you have to take the tyre off to see it) and had 15X4.50.K.ROK near the date and a circle with an A and T within it. I have rims dated 1960 and 1967 showing this.

Anyone have more info on the ROK wheels please? are they aussie wheels or something else?

parts for sale - http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZwww-boatyardbuses-com

more parts for sale - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Jonesy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: