Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
One thing I will add to either the first or second list is an electric windshield washer. I had one on my Super. It was easier to convert because it already had the tubing and nozzle. I know I'm missing the tubing; I have to check the nozzle.

hey Oasis, a 'working' winshield washer would be nice, I picked up a few items at Dover Thing show to fix my "spare tire air powered" one, but I'm going to need to re do the tubing it's all dry rotten.

I've yet to see one with a working "spare tire air" powered one, or at least I dont think I have, Even though that whole setup sounds kinda hokey, it was an interesting idea. I'd love to see it work for real.

Thing shop's got the new hose's, I need to order a new convertable top, I may add that to the list.....

Hope you get your Thing all working good, enjoy!
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone at Dover said theirs worked, but was out of fluid. I call bullshit on that, I'm installing an electric one myself, did it in my last thing, very easy to do, hooked right into stock plumbing, push button on dash, hose barn from elec. kit to rubber hose in car. Now that I'll be driving mine this winter, will need one that works
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windshield washer system using the spare tire worked on my '71 Super when I acquired it, so I would personally be reluctant to say BS to anyone who said theirs worked unless there is something fundamentally different between a 1302 and a 181.

That said, it was a nuisance to pump (the '71 SB was activated by an on-dash knob that had a button within it that had to be pushed rather than a column stalk). Sometimes it hit the glass where I wanted it, sometimes it hit low with less coming out, sometimes it just dribbled. Pumping several times in succession had mixed results.

Changing it to electric was one of the better things I did to my car. I just had a little on/off toggle under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Once the nozzle was aimed where I wanted the squirt, it was perfect every time. I'm hoping for similar results in my next wave of improvements.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed gear oil. choosed a sae90 mineral which tells: does not corrode bronze. expensive uh.

Carefully pluged a hose and started pouring.....

- Hey seems its raining...
- weird...its sunny today

1 litre of oil later...i realised the hose went out of place...I was pouring to the floor Sad

oh well what a mess...
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, thing related, installed some rubber swiss cheese flooring under my thing tody, my girlfriend works at a horse farm, and they had a bunch of these 1'x1' by1" mats laying around. used in stalls for washing horses. my garage floor is mostly broken concrete, so these make a nice uniform floor, plus it matches my floor mats in the car, will be hooking up booster fan to my heat soon, 74, place fan on center tunnel blowing to the defrost, did this in my last 74 when I lived up north before. with a well sealed up hardtop, this setup will make you sweat on the coldest day
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things of note recently ...

I drove my Thing quite a bit Saturday through yesterday as a result of my daughter's Tiguan picking up a nail-like construction piece gizmo (if I were a DIY'er, I could tell you what it was Embarassed ) which forced her to drive my Eos. I proved my unworthiness by pulling the debris out of her tire so I couldn't even temporarily inflate the thing enough to get Tiggy to the tire store. Nobody local had her tire in stock so it had to be ordered. I found out in time Fix-a-Flat and Slime are big no-no's with tire sensors and, especially, with tire stores. I wasn't totally worthless as I was able to put an oversized screw into the puncture area along with some super glue wannabee. I actually got the tire up to 34.3 PSI and was able to nurse it to the shop.

Anyway ...

I found out two things about my Thing. First, I got about 20 MPG on my first measured tankful -- 20.2 if I can trust the fill-ups between two different gas stations. This was a lot better than I was expecting as a certain amount of the initial driving was clumsy on my part as it had been more than five years since I drove an air-cooled car, and the Thing is vastly different in every way than the Super I used to own. Also, all of my driving was in short spurts and local.

Second, this fill-up wasn't followed by any residual gas smell. I bought the gas smell kit sold by TTS, but it hasn't been installed yet. I have a feeling I might have been slightly negligent in replacing the gas cap in my prior attempts. I will take greater notice as I did this most recent time. I probably will still install the kit when the time comes since it is new and I already have it.

Honorable mentions go to learning how far to trust the gas guage and happy I do have heat after all of the hose replacement stuff I went through.

Today, I ordered some touch-up paint in the same two color codes I found in my box of previous records from the previous owner. I will be especially interested to see if the blue matches the blue on my Acapulco. If it does, I will want to see if it matches the blue of an original Acapulco (just to make sure we're dealing with apples and apples).

I need to bone up on painting, however. I have a dash piece I want to paint the proper blue but I'm going to need a platform to practice upon. I also need to learn about clearcoat. I'm a total novice here.

I seem to remember Thing's were originally painted in a way less glossy than most cars. Although there are no signs my Thing has ever been in an accident, it has been repainted at some point a number of years ago. I'm not sure if Acapulco's had the semi-gloss paint originally, but no flattening agent (if that's the right term) was added to its respray.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to changing to a lighter oil. Dumped the 20/50 and filled with 5w30 brad penn. Seems to start quicker in this cold pa weather. Now just need to undercoat and she's all ready for winter driving, snowboard rack for hardtop needs to be picked up from my brothers. Got to pick up my 15" steel wheels from the powder coaters with knobby all seasons on them. Skinny to cut through the snow.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the electric washer install. Trying to remember where I teed into factory hose last time I did this, remember it being real easy last time. Hoping to install booster fan for heat today too. Really cold here in pa, girlfriends honda is broke down do she needs my truck, lots of thing driving soon, so want windshield washer and heater booster fan installed
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
Started the electric washer install. Trying to remember where I teed into factory hose last time I did this, remember it being real easy last time.

FV195: would like to learn about your electric washer installation. Perhaps you can take a few pictures and describe the procedure?
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will try to post pictures, fan installed washer just needs to be wired to the switch, bottle is hung, lines are run
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it to a fellow VWer's wedding and on the way home, stopped by the Mothman Statue in Point Pleasant WV. The site of the Silver Bridge collapse in December 1967.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove mine to work today, 15" steels got their first color of powder on today
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanked the two year old Advance auto battery out and had it tested to find a bad cell...
Dropped In an old used Optima I had in the garage and she fired right up!

Now when the rain stops, I'll throw a few miles on her!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Late Christmas Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

hope all had a good Christmas! Mine was bout a week late as I been laid up a bit the past week. Better now though..

Got to open presents this weekend and
Santa brought me a new soft top! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(now I just gotta install it) something to look forward to!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove mine to work today, drivers side heat stopped working, washer shoots way over the windshield, fix all that tomorrow. Think hose fell off fan shroud
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked to see what I'll have to do to mount some 32's!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is going in for a complete engine rebuild today. Will be nice to drive it again.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday I installed some aux driving lights, I can see at night now, what a differance they make. 5" round on the bumper, look good too
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 Did you go with LED's?

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 55 watt halagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 88

Jump to: