Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed a battery tender, after killing one battery and almost killing my used Optima red top......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Came with a neat little connector that I have accessible from the seat cross bar, no need to mess with the cushion in order to attach the tender!

Got her out in the 35* beautifully sunny day and cruised to our club meeting and then onto some shopping.... I am starting to experience the limits of the single carb, feeding these big jugs without the heat tubes connected.. Lots of stumble and throttle feathering needed...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe that's a nice interior!

I took mine out today because I felt left out when kids were riding the 4wheeler around. They hate it when I tell them that my VW 4wheeler is better!
I was amazed on how well it drove in the snow. The engine doesn't care much for cold weather though

FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the day cleaning the underside of the drivers side fender, then shot some undercoating on, will get them all and floor pan soon
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no work just play

beautiful day. sun and clouds, pushed upper 70's.

got out for a late hour drive around the are with my youngest son.

nice cruise time and weather
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled the engine to replace the rear main seal with a dual seal rear main. Also put some new wheels on the ole girl

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icekoffee wrote:

Looks Awesome man!!! Love the subdued blue/grey!!!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as they say, the project is never finished.

got busy today after other demands and multiple procrastination episodes. tore apart my front end. adding raised spindles, beam adjusters and disk brakes in the front. amazing how you think, "I will just undo a couple bolts and it will go quick". well 4 yrs of very limited maintenance, I learned there are several things that have to be disconnected etc go accomplish what I sat out to do.

spent about 8 hrs disassembling, cutting, measuring, grinding, welding and doing touch up paint. now I am at least back to the reassembly stage come tomorrow.

first time to do beam adjusters. i have been studying instructions, write ups and photos as well as posts here on The Samba. not bad once you get into it and can understand how it all works and alignment points etc. I set the adjuster so they would have a little more up than down, about 2/3 up and 1/3 down. at least by the thread spin counts. first welds were little rough. been a while as well as fighting grimy surfaces etc. went back and cleaned up and re-hit. much better. paint not direct match. giving up on my OCD issues. not show car. once bolted underneath, will disappear. hopefully tomorrow, the work will pay off when I start putting things back together.

here's some pics of highlights

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonAllenRizzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: I towed my 74 bus out of the back yard Reply with quote

I have had this 74 bus sitting on my back yard for a while. Now that spring is here (kind of) I am using my thing to clean up the back yard.

All the kids together

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part II - beam adjusters installed

worked some more on wrapping up yesterdays project. beam with newly installed adjusters reinstalled this am. took some manuvering when working by yourself and balancing the beam on a floor jack. little bit of fun installed leafs in beam. took a few minutes on one beam. the other took longer as I stabbed fairly quickly then realized I was 180* off. had to pull leaf pack out and start all over. installed new 2" raised spindles. reinstalled shocks.

need to move on to disk brake kit and new master cylinder. will have to wait due to weather and time.
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my Thing on the road about two weeks since complete engine rebuild. Took two road trips over the weekend. One to Lake Charles Louisiana and the other to Conroe Texas. Enjoyed both.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painted my new disc rotors matching blue as underside of pan and suspension. i did not want the casted rough surfaces and wheel mounting surfaces to corrode. should be able to install them this Saturday and wrap up the new disk brake project.

getting closer

then on to the rear project hopefully Sunday
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

full day in garage today

got front rotors and calipers installed, replaced original speedometer with longer one. original just reached with 3" body lift. needed extra length with raised spindles. installed new master cylinder and brake switches. need to finish connecting lines.

been sitting on two different roller pedals for a while. one empi aluminum with one reinforced unit from here on the samba. i like the aluminum wheel with better arm. did a little machining on aluminum pedal to accept shoulder bolt that came with reinforced unit. got new roller unit installed. that took some time trying to keep clutch cable attached and then fighting brake pedal spring. i forgot how much fun it can be. of course last time, there was no body involved.

few pics. went with bling calipers

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never driven a bug or anything with a roller. Is it different? If so, can you describe the difference?

My daughter used to talk about how the pedals of the Super Beetle and Eos were "very" different to her compared to the ones on the Cabrio, Golf and Jetta that we had at the time because the former two were against the floor while the latter three were hinged on arms. Me, I didn't pay much attention to the differences except when I opted for fancier pedals on the Cabrio to avoid slippage.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got her back together today/this afternoon. I was able to take a quick spin. this is first experience with roller.

little time but like it so far. before, I felt like I had to kinda raise my heel push on top end of pedal. now i can rest my heel and lean foot forward. roller pedal free wheels s you push forward. very smooth

may also be with the style of roller. as mentioned. I combined a couple. the double sided/support accelerator bracket is great. no more side to side slop as you push. definite improvement

pic below showing support two legs vs standard one

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got back end back together after multiple attempts at re-indexing and installing new 2" raise plates. first time so a lot of trial and error and a few choice words. definitely learned a lot along the way

some minor things to tweak. front end alignment needed as well with recently added raised spindles etc.

2" more in front and rear now while retaining stock ride characteristics.

here's a pic

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zigg, why did you index the rear, if you're using 2" raised spring plates anyway?? Am I missing something?

What plates did you use? I may just go that route, instead of fiddling with my stockers.... Banging the spring plate on the frame has always bugged me...
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe

went with 2" raised plates from Atomwerks.

I wanted to add a little more. about an inch I was thinking. I added 2" raised spindles in front with adjusters. I was going to pre-load front up to 3" total. that would not be real hard on the ride. i tried adding re-indexing plus plates. issues with shock length and angles etc. may have indexed too much. I bailed and settled for plates at original settings as well as spindles. With raised plates, keeps it off the stops while gaining height.

if you go that route, you will need new bushings due to diameter difference on new vs old. I bought all from Atomwerks. being first time doing it, i did struggle and did not think the new plate design was as easy to install as advertised.

I can tell and it is in Charles video, you may have to file the splines on the new plates due to differences in factory bars. they were too snug to slide together. triangle file and couple hours later. very tedious doing 88 splines.

good product. just struggled as mentioned due to first timer. wish i tackled when did body off.

let me know if can help if go that route.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 3 weekends of dismantling front and year suspension adding custom and modified parts, I took her in for alignment.

I was a little leary due to the modified raised spindles and raised rear plates. got it done.

back to feeling good. also had a little more drive with new front disk brakes. liking them for sure.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a local shop form/shape a front aluminum skid plate. Picked up saturday and got installed this pm.

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Ziggy!! Find it funny, that you built that WHOLE Thing and then have a shop bend up a little skid plate!! Lol Laughing Laughing

Really finished off the front end! Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 68 of 88

Jump to: