Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bald_dude43 wrote:
icekoffee wrote:
Put a new steering wheel on the thing. I wasn't a fan of the late model plastic one. Just didn't seem to fit with the car.

Very nice! Where did you get that?

It is just a grant steering wheel Smile
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Kubeltreffen at Branson MO Reply with quote

I just washed my thing in Branson Mo!
Where is everybody? Lol
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to get in the Island Spirit
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disassembling the car. Getting prepared for the make over that starts in september.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Cool I like the tiki knob and the "Volkswagen 181" stripe.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly today (although I just uploaded the pics to Image Shack today), but look what Santa-Mon sent me for a little Xmas in July Dancing

And now the box is open Very Happy

And they look nice but would look better installed Rolling Eyes

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice butt parkers, Oasis!!! What's the source?? (i didn't see a TTS printing on the box)... They look great!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, TTS. I was talking to them a few weeks ago and the conversation turned to highback Acapulco seats. I was really targeting December as the date to get them. However, I found out they did not have seat cores in stock, and there was a waiting list.

I started looking into getting a pair to use. I even did potential flight plans and such trying to figure out a way to get a nice pair and get them to their shop. I wasn't in a big rush because work commitments don't slow down for a little bit yet, and we have a vacation and two mini-vacations already scheduled.

I got a surprise early call from them saying they have a core pair for me if I was interested, so Xmas in July it is.

Two notes of irony -- I had a '71 Super once upon a time and gave a Thing owner a heck of a deal on the stock seats. In the back of my mine, I thought I might have a Thing some day and should keep them. Also, I once had a rear window on backorder from Mid America because I wanted the defroster grid to work. Thirteen months later without warning it showed up at my front door. I was pleased but I would have thought a call saying, "Hey, bud, do you still want this," would have been in order.

August is my month to take an axe to my to do list. I'm excited.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some major plans today, but circumstances derailed those.

In the meantime, took two recently acquired items to Thing's storage. First item was this MkI Rabbit (Golf) steering wheel. I placed it onto the aftermarket steering wheel just to see how silly a red steering wheel would look in an Acapulco.

Methinks I have stepped a little closer to making my Thing a clown car (referencing another thread Wink ). It was dirt cheap and should be better than the little steering wheel currently there. It is temporary until I can find one of the Scirocco steering wheels I like. (Most folks want top dollar but not offering them in top condition. I'll be patient.)

Here is the steering wheel next to the Jetta version that fit but didn't work:

It is slightly larger than the Jetta steering wheel. I lined up the steering wheel to make an estimate on its size, and I think (and hope) more of the extra circumference will be upward thanks to the angle of the steering column.

And here is the same red wheel next to prize number two -- my new CSP shifter:

It is a t-handle shifter. I handled one briefly and liked it fine although I always thought I wouldn't. I had a CSP ball-handle shifter in my Super, and it was great. I looked into a Gene Berg shifter but (a) I didn't like their handle quite as much, and (b) I was told there would be a 4-6 week delay.

I'll give GB credit this time around. Although it took them a few days to answer my questions, they did answer them without attitude. That's far better than 6-7 years ago.

I have a lot to do .. more to come ...
landkholdings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I came up with for a removable hang glider and canoe rack:

ZRATTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: my ZRAT-THING Reply with quote

I opened the garage and made sure my barn swallows did not crap on my ZRAT-THING
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about a drive as has been a few weeks. could not make it. It's 100 and feels like 104 or so. not happening just to hot and humid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was driving last week and all of a sudden I was stirring soup whilst trying to find the right gear (which didn't always happen). It turned out to be a broken coupler. So, I took advantage of that mishap and had my CSP shifter installed at the same time ...

... along with a steering wheel from a late Super they had lying around. Call me crazy but I like it. The Scirocco steering wheel I like so much is now a lower priority for much later.

Sharp eyes may notice in the footwell on the passenger side a blue steering wheel as well. It's a Rabbit (early Golf) wheel that needs the center padded horn button section which I will look for ... just in case I go with a blue roll bar, blue seat belts, etc. Eh?

The starter was also wired directly to the battery to help with hot restarts. I don't know yet if that is the solution, but Thing is so much more fun to drive with a proper steering wheel; and it now shifts like butter, too. Dancing

Next larger expense (I hope) is replacing the stereo with something I like and putting it in a more desirable location. The right panel will need to be replaced eventually, too. The next smaller expense will be seat belts. I will be knee deep in DIY mayhem along the way. Look out, world. Rolling Eyes
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a factory '74 Thing wheel to me..... That's what came off Our Thing.... Confused Certainly makes a Huge difference to have proper ratios on steering... My farm truck came with a smaller "grant" wheel.... Annoying to drive, to say the least....
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Looks like a factory '74 Thing wheel to me..... That's what came off Our Thing....

Yeah, to my untrained eye it looks stock to me, too. I feel better with you validating. I was told it was from a late Super but it couldn't have been too late because the center emblem became fancier. Maybe they just meant "late" in the sense of spline size. Thank goodness the large center horn button isn't cockeyed like I have seen elsewhere.

GI Joe wrote:
Certainly makes a Huge difference to have proper ratios on steering... My farm truck came with a smaller "grant" wheel.... Annoying to drive, to say the least....

Amen. In all my years, it was my first time to drive a Dub with the wrap on the circumference portion of the wheel. I rather like it, too.
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

Amen. In all my years, it was my first time to drive a Dub with the wrap on the circumference portion of the wheel. I rather like it, too.

If you like that one, how about a sewn on leather cover! I love this type: https://www.wheelskins.com/original_wheelskin.php

I use two needles, and lace them sort of like stitching a baseball, or lacing sneakers. Really love the feel.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stitching? I wanna do some riveting, dammit. Laughing

All seriousness aside Wink I'm happy with I have at the moment, and I don't think I would want to increase the steering wheel thickness of my current water-dubbers. However, I will keep that link in mind for the future. That would have been nice on my '71.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally brought Our Thing down to the new place, from storage at Moms house in. Knoxville...
We've lived here for 4months, and I've driven her Once in that time..... Until yesterday!!

Finally got the shop floor scrubbed, it was covered in 1/2" of solid dirt.... Wasn't even sure if there Was concrete under there! Lol.. (oil stains are from PO, Not Our Thing!) And I have the couple roof leaks in check!

Feels good to have her here! Cool
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after front disc install, felt pulsation, had a rear drum turned today at work, was way out of round, but still in spec. so tomorrow Ill get the other one done
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove her to town for an errand... Had a no idle situation once I got close to town.... Finished my errand with feathering the gas at every stop, and brought her home....
Found some crap in the idle jet, blew it out, and she fired right up and idled!! I love simple fixes!!

Now, how do I get crap in the jet, after two fuel filters(one up front before tunnel hard line, one aft of the tunnel hard line)
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 88

Jump to: