Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

What is the need for the decel valve/dashpot/emissions thingy on the carb?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Throttle positioner, it does help with emissions a bit but it also helps have a smoother ride. Along with a 043 svda it should be a smooth ride. Main goal is to have a nice driver that I can take the lady out with, drive to around every day and then hit the trails whenever. Super stock.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, but just like the rest of the big engine mods, I wonder where the tipping point is where drivability suffers & maybe a slightly more aggressive cam & different carb choice would have been a better option. I'm definitely interested in your approach. I've done the dual carb thing & while it's great fun, they suck.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Well, got done with the cam break in and holy cow it sounds amazing. Just at idle it sounds like a stock 4 banger Mustang. Playing around with it, the whole combo is super smooth and spins up nicely. Do idea how it is under load, but I can tell it's going to be nice and smooth pulling around. I do not expect a crazy top end but the low end that I will be using will all be there. More updates to follow I guess, hopefully I'll have it installed soon.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Happy 4th y'all
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Offroading at the lick-a-sto parkin' lot now, huh?
Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Unfortunately dusty, that's about it so far. BUT, I am planning a trip for next month. I want to hit Mono Lake, anyone ever gone out there? I hear that the east side is super freaking sandy, so that means hitting 5 PSI and hoping I don't hit any lava rock.

The most recent I've been doing is replacing rubbers and crap. Today I did one pop out window and some door rubber. Oh by the way, fuck pop out windows.

Also, the $40 paint job is starting to show

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So "Pop-out window" is long-hand for "Fun!"?

From my friend's Bajas with pop-outs, I've decided that while the concept of the window opening out that I've enjoyed in Hondas, Toyotas and other such cars really aren't such a good idea in a serious offroad car. The shaking is really hard on the hinges and latches.

Mono Lake has some areas around it that promise some fun. Some guys over on Shop Talk Forums are planning a trip from Nevada to Bodie (a little north of Mono Lake) in a couple of months. I've been invited along, but life has some other plans for me this year.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The shaking is really hard on the hinges and latches.

For my scenario, they'll help out. I had them in the other bug and the wind flow was great. The latches are stiff as hell, the Germans designed these well. I have a source on the windows and latches for cheap, each side took me about 2 hours so not much lost. That includes cleaning and installing. Btw did you know foil can clean glass?

I'm planning on hitting Bodie while I'm there. Apparently there's an okay trail that goes to Bodie from the 395, I think. I should invest in a map Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Cheap latches sound scary. If they're good quality then that's a good thing.

Replacement latches for my Toyota prerunner truck are over $100 each new, best price I've found. The ones I've found used were in as bad shape as the ones I have, so I've passed on them. Hard offroad use has been rough on the Toyota ones too. The left window has plumber's tape holding it shut. Surprised

Last time I took that road from 395 into Bodie was in the 80s in my F100 with a crank-up camper on the back. Better road by far than Bessemer Mine Road into Johnson Valley.
SoCalBajas Member
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Not that it's going to help you now but I found that if you stretch the gasket like a rubber band, it will drop into the channel & then you just have to help it compress & relax to make sure it's not too long.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Ah good old plumbers tape. Well, I'll see what I find up there.

For the windows, I put the seals out in the sun for a few days so they would shrink down a bit. Treated the rubber with gummi fledge then used a nylon pry bar and a 6 of pacifico to get it in.

So, plans are this weekend I'm finally going to drop in my new motor. Unfortunately I don't think the skid plate and rear bumper are going to work out with the exhaust that's on it. I'm in hopes that I can get something made in time for me taking this trip. My end goal is to have heater boxes and a skid plate.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Quote:
My end goal is to have heater boxes and a skid plate.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive. I know my car is not a Class 11 style full body Bug, but the skidplate and heater boxes don't care.

A little difficult to pick out in the shadows, but...

The skidplate is an off-the-shelf manufactured piece that has served me for the past ...45 years... and they're still available!

One tip...

DON'T ATTACH IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE CASE AS THE DESIGNER ORIGINALLY INTENDED!!!

I reversed the rear mount tabs so the short legs extend up at the outboard edge of the center section to attach the skidplate to the bottom of the engine cage bars.
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Hmmm, I see. I think I'm going to work with my local offroad shop to see if they can cut me something. Being that I don't own a tube bender nor much equipment other than a HF welder.

Link below looks like the same one you have there, I bet I could get it mounted before I leave on this trip.

http://www.mooreparts.com/vw-baja-bug-competition-...oCPrvw_wcB

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Eeyup!

Not funny that it's only 6X the price I paid... Damn I'm old... and so's my Baja Bug...Shocked

Cool

See those 'L' shaped brackets? Those are the ones I was talking about before. mount those with the short legs standing up at the outside edge of the center section.

Interesting that they now call it the "Competition" skid plate. That used to be applied to the ones that the outer wings raised up high near the underside of the pushrod tubes and rocker boxes of the heads. The one advertised used to be called the "Street" version because the flat side wings fit under heater boxes.

Bolt it together with 5/16" carriage bolts and flat washers under the nuts. The angle tab at the top of the pic gets flipped over and bolted to the underside of the tunnel below the shifter linkage coupling.
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of where the rear cage meets the frame horns? I'm going to be using the transmission mount that accepts stock mounts and has the top strap, I'm curious of what my options are on that, as the solid mount has holes in it to accept the rear cage but this one looks like it doesn't.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Do you have any pictures of where the rear cage meets the frame horns? I'm going to be using the transmission mount that accepts stock mounts and has the top strap, I'm curious of what my options are on that, as the solid mount has holes in it to accept the rear cage but this one looks like it doesn't.

Wall now....I suspose as what I could mosey on over to my photobucket and look around.

What y'all need is a pair of mount brackets. You CAN get them from EMPI, but they're pretty cheezy. 1.25" x .095 or .120 wall tube and a 1/4" x 2 strap stock will make a fine bracket.
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Here we go.

As it gets to be a PITA to keep the brackets aligned each time the cage is removed, I tack welded the brackets with the cage in place, but the engine out. The welds are visible, if you look close at the pic.

The ends of the bottom flange of the motor mount were trimmed for clearance.

The bar stock needs a hole a little bigger than 3/4" for the yoke bolts.
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Thanks dusty, that's exactly what I had in mind. I'll see what I can do for that, I'm going to pick up a skid plate tomorrow. For now, I'm too tired to type so here are pictures of my day. The motor removed will be sent to Adrian at head flow masters to live a new life.

"It's only 4 bolts"

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Did you bolt the new apron on? Or is it welded back on? I would DEFINITELY go for bolting it on. 45 years ago I was planning to cut the rear apron on my '58 loose for easier maintenance. But getting rear-ended (sandwiched) at an intersection re-directed that plan into fiberglass Baja kit.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: