Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche B32 Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
It's interesting that the brakes are drilled for both 5x112 and 5x130.

Well, the range of wheels and tires available is a lot broader than with a garden variety T3!

There's a lot of technical information available in that little Owner's Manual, eh?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you D Clymer Embarassed

Jake,big thank you for the whole manual!!I never found it before,not I am looking for it everyday,but still,it's very cool Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Alika! Its a pretty interesting sidebar in T3 history. I think I got that from Christophe Bolze in Switzerland - I got a few cool brochures from him before VW went all lawyery on him... Sad
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: T3 porsche in Germany for sale Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
busfever wrote:
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?isSe...dCarSeals=

3 for sale in Germany if you have the money.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I preffer the last one

"nice and clean"

That last one is very nicely done but its not a Porsche B32... Wink

I know bud they are all porsche (some 996) engine/gear equiped one made by claer and the lastone by Joest
I think that still nice and "one to have" bus after the lotery winns Very Happy

Mark de Visser

Better something goods than something nice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the locking of another thread concerning VW's restoration of the B32 and other busses/vans, I thought it important to include the B32 from that article in this thread, since it's completely restored and really cool:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=15948

Thanks One more islander... for posting the article!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Porsche B32 Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Love the blue one, old school VW sun roof. Going to put one like that one into my bus next week! Now if only I had the motor to! Love the B32 thanks for the info. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Boltze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@joetiger

The B32 on the classicdriver picture is the number 5. Its the same car which had the "BN" plates on the other pictures in the internet.

Volkswagen bought it in December 2011 and restored some parts of the body.

Christoph

1985 Caravelle GL syncro
1990 California
1981 Joker
Germany
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
It looks like a stock 3.2 Carrera engine and late 915 transmission from the photos.
The trans cooler was a stock item on later 915 transmission and necesary to keep temps down with the extra power over earlier engines.

I'd be interested to see the work carried out for mounting the engine/gearbox, oil tank and whether they changed the driveshafts/CVs etc.

I wonder what heating system they had in the van?

Today, I wouldn't entertain putting a 3.2 into a T3, they're too expensive. A great reliable engine but you can get 230bhp from other more modern/efficient engines for less dough.

MG

I hear ya. In todays world yer just paying big$ to brag. I'd rather have a stg3 apr 1.8t ANY day....More power, more dependable, and waaaaay cheaper to maintain then any Porsche..
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However if i had an air cooled i'd lean toward Porsche.....
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
I hear ya. In todays world yer just paying big$ to brag. I'd rather have a stg3 apr 1.8t ANY day....More power, more dependable, and waaaaay cheaper to maintain then any Porsche..

dredward- do you like the 1.8t? I've searched "dredward + 1.8t" but it returned so many hits that my browser crashed.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
dredward wrote:

dredward- do you like the 1.8t? I've searched "dredward + 1.8t" but it returned so many hits that my browser crashed.

YES. I've tried same and didn't get same same results Confused . Razz
On a side note. Was at the vintage races for a concours event 2-3 yrs ago and saw a full race prepe 914 with a 1.8t. It would kick the ass of a 914 with a 930......and not break as much. If it did it would cost a fraction to fix or replace.... Just sayin. I am the kind of vw head that would rather have a hps twin turbo r32 the a Porsche turbo "."
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy claims 11 total - 2 internal and 9 production

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/porsche-b32-the-camper-van-that-almost-happened
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
this guy claims 11 total - 2 internal and 9 production

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/porsche-b32-the-camper-van-that-almost-happened

That article, while nicely written, has no basis of authority and more than likely his production numbers came from Internet research.

There are a few factual problems in the article. For instance, he talks of the B32 having a steering wheel from a 964 Carrera 4. Well, the Carrera 4 didn't debut till 1989 - years after these B32s were built. Also, the C4 used the regular 4 spoke Porsche steering wheel they used on all their cars from 1985 till the airbag (VW Cabriolet) steering wheel started being fitted. There was no specific C4 steering wheel. Then he asserts that they went all the way with a 911 engine instead of going with a moderate power increase by putting a 944 engine in there. That engine wouldn't have fit in a Vanagon engine bay, and there would have been no rear engine transaxle to bolt it to. Lastly, I believe the 914-6 used a 901 trans rather than a 915.

As I said, nice article by an obvious enhusiast. But definitely not an article to use as a basis for research.

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rgalla9146
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: 3.2 Vanagon Reply with quote

In the early '80s I worked in a independent shop in Bergen County NJ
The owner was a former employee/tech at the North American headquarters of VOA/ PCNA
His friends who still worked for the importer often came by with the latest cars that just arrived at JFK .
I was invited to go for a ride in a Vanagon that had Porsche steel wheels and stainless no-crest hubcaps.
As I recall it was white/blue. What was really surprising was the interior.
Full leather Recaro front seats and leather covered rear seats. Beautifully installed period Blaupunkt system with many speakers.
Under the engine lid was a 3.2 driving through either a 915 or a 930 trans (can't remember).
There was no outside clue other than the wheels.
The engine had aluminum tape over the Porsche lettering on each intake manifold. It was understated and beautiful.
We were told it was going to a dealer in California. After all these years I could be wrong but I think it was Fuller(?) Porsche.
I also saw all of the original IROC cars lined up before they were ever raced. Keys in the ignition. In the evening. Outside. No gate.
And we didn't do a thing. Just gawked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dang that must have been a sight! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 3.2 Vanagon Reply with quote

rgalla9146 wrote:
In the early '80s I worked in a independent shop in Bergen County NJ
The owner was a former employee/tech at the North American headquarters of VOA/ PCNA
His friends who still worked for the importer often came by with the latest cars that just arrived at JFK .
I was invited to go for a ride in a Vanagon that had Porsche steel wheels and stainless no-crest hubcaps.
As I recall it was white/blue. What was really surprising was the interior.
Full leather Recaro front seats and leather covered rear seats. Beautifully installed period Blaupunkt system with many speakers.
Under the engine lid was a 3.2 driving through either a 915 or a 930 trans (can't remember).
There was no outside clue other than the wheels.
The engine had aluminum tape over the Porsche lettering on each intake manifold. It was understated and beautiful.
We were told it was going to a dealer in California. After all these years I could be wrong but I think it was Fuller(?) Porsche.
I also saw all of the original IROC cars lined up before they were ever raced. Keys in the ignition. In the evening. Outside. No gate.
And we didn't do a thing. Just gawked.

Hey Rory,

Just looking around at B32 stuff & found this post by you! Great story too!

Cheers!
Tom T
Orange CA
73 914-2.0 "914S" & 88 Westy - also from 914world
///////
1970 Eriba Puck & 1960 Avion T20
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWdltRi4yX0
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
Deivis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

Maybe someone know color code of this B32 van?
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

The B32 from YouTube is painted in H7V Wolframgrau-Metallic (wolfram grey metallic)
Levwi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone happen to have more technical data on the B32 than the manual?
Size of the brakes and what is actually done with the suspension and undercarriage of the car.

Going for a rebuild like this one here in Norway, but need the data to get it approved Smile

Regards
Lasse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: