Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

What size are the snaps for the upper bunk cushion to attach to the forward edge of the bunk? I'm looking at a few marine websites and there appears to be different sizes of these snaps... I think they are called "DOT snaps". Specifically looking for the button side size, not the screw in side (although I know they will be the same size).

I removed the upper bunk for extra storage (window covers, sun screens, chairs, poptop insulation, etc.), however every time I go down a steep decent, it is like an avalanche of gear that slides forward onto the floor of the van.

I have a vison of a simple net or spandex front wall that will keep the gear in place that I can snap to the original upper bunk cushion snaps, and also utilize the Fanchers R-8 Pop Top Radiant Wrap Thermal snaps https://fanchers.com/store/ols/products/vw-vanagon-inside-r-8-pop-top-thermal-1980-1992 that I installed on the fiberglass roof.

Photo for reference:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

We have what we call our “Hillybilly gear loft,” Sorry, which is three, Fastex-connected rows of climbing webbing supported by an unused “Bungee Matrix” from a Yakima rack.

Our bed’s intact though, and the loft is on the “ceiling” below… so a different yet related use.

But… I’m looking at our closed roof (yet to be popped tonight), and picturing your bed’s completely removed, right? All the hardware, too?

Our first goal is to never modify/hack on anything made in Germany unless it’s needed and otherwise impossible. What we did elsewhere is drill the rivets out of snaps and replace them with longer, tapered sheet-metal screws, longer to accommodate attaching 1/8”x1/2” flat bar stock.

In your case, if the snaps never have a future purpose — and are Ya absolutely sure on no upstairs bed? — I could see drilling out the snaps, adding vertical bars in each hole, a rail at the top, and several buckled, climbing webbing straps across to all make a “cage.”

For what it’s worth, our loft holds:
— car camping tent
— folding roll-a-table
— (2) three-legged stools
— (2) inflatable backpacking pads
— backpacking tent
— backpacking bags for 2

All of this is held together from hard braking with tension on the straps and buckles, no forward stop in other words like you need.

It would work, cost little, and preserve all but some rivets. Don’t scrimp on the webbing nor the buckles, ours have nearly 3,800 days use without a failure.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

Thanks for the info E1,

Like yourself, I prefer not to modify my van in many ways that cannot be easily reverted back to the stock configuration. The upper bunk is easily removed and put back by only 4 screws (yup that is it.. hinge mechanism stays on the removed bunk and easily reversed... 4 screws.), and I'd prefer to keep it that way, hence my wanting to use the snaps.

Cheers!
Benjamin

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

Rear curtain uses 'standard' 3/8" snaps - IDK about the upper bunk, I removed that 10 years ago.
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

FXR,

Thank you, I believe them to be the same size, and that concurs with what I thought; 3/8.

Any other confirmation is welcome.

Thanks guys and gals!
Benjamin

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

I may have misunderstood, Sorry if so…

You want to use the front, male snaps at the head of the bed to support a “gear stop,” right?

If not, it’s a Friday and I’m sticking to that. Wink

— Colin Chapman
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

I bought some of the SS marines snaps, male side has a stud in place to screw into the body. Thought they would be great but turned out to be not awesome.
They also did not work with the snaps that came with my GW slider screen.

Instead I get the inexpensive snap kits from Walmart, Hobby Lobby etc and these work everytime. Have used them with the rear hatch screen for my Tintop and they did not disappoint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia snaps for upper bunk cushion and rear mosquito curtain Reply with quote

We recently removed our upper bunk for storage too. I was thinking of a “blade” that could be attached to the bunk hinges and flipped up and pinned for retaining things up there. Haven’t done it yet, it seems we have so much up there, that the closed roof retains the stuff in place. So far, we store dog food, chairs, sleeping bag, dirty laundry bag, and a few other things.

I’m also thinking some Tupperware bins might be more organized. They’d need to be thin though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: