Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts you regret selling/modifying/throwing away...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Parts you regret selling/modifying/throwing away... Reply with quote

Own up...what have you trashed, modified, or regretted trading/selling in your past?

Ones that come to mind for me are turfing a scratched EMPI horn button as a lightie. I was cleaning up my dad's garage and had nFc what 'EMPI' was. I wasn't into cars at all back then.

Found out a few months ago it was the OG horn button for the EMPI GT Deluxe steering wheel hanging up in the garage! Surprised

I spent a small fortunate buying a GT Deluxe horn button a few months ago, but alas, no button. Sad

...and buying/selling a '60 KG in under a day, with a tatty Nardi steering wheel in it. I hadn't a clue what it was, and thought it looked a bit tatty, so off went the car. When I remembered it and found out what I'd let go, I nearly cried big tears. The car didn't sell for much more than what one Nardi goes for now. Sad

Yours?

Nic

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jensend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late model bug OEM Roof Rack in mint condition. Moved to a condo. Sold the rack for $3.00 at a yard sale. Even installed it for the new owner!
oldbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, this puts a tear in my eye, I sold (cheap) a complete set of OG weber 48 IDA's with Deano manifolds and linkage a few years ago. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

og 57'58 westfalia stove cabinet
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
og 57'58 westfalia stove cabinet

Sold, trashed, or modified? Twisted Evil

iowegian wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A set of og foxcraft fender skirts.......... Embarassed
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 17 years ago i junked a rustfree 67 sliding door panelvan because then i had nowhere to store the complete van.

i'd only bought it because i needed a light swiitch for my 65...........
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toss out a Telefunken radio and power supply cause I thought all bugs had them and it was no big deal! HUGE MISTAKE!
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
about 17 years ago i junked a rustfree 67 sliding door panelvan because then i had nowhere to store the complete van.

i'd only bought it because i needed a light swiitch for my 65...........

OK, 17 years on and I'm willing to bet that hurts more now than ever. Smile Surprised

Laughing @ the light switch.

iowegian wrote:
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the very first Karman Ghias to enter the country, it was a demonstrator brought into a Brookline VW dealer and was still in perfect Euro trim (lights, speedo, passenger foot rest, etc) when I bought it. Although it came in in '55, it was kept in the showroom until '59 and sold as a '60 Coupe. I bought it from the wife of the first and only owner.

This was ten or eleven years ago, and I knew NOTHING, back then.

I stripped the car of everything that I thought I could use for my '69 Ghia driver at the time, and trashed the rest. Blaupunkt radio, gas heater, tool kit, everything.

I NEVER thought that any of it was a big deal. I didn't need it and had no room to keep it and all of my friends drove old American iron.

At least I keep some of the crap left over from the '58 Cabrio that followed . . . but not much.
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a '63 double door camper in '87 for $3500, that I had bought from the original owner. That was a good deal, but since I didn't need them anymore, I also gave the guy that bought it a complete tent, never been used and an original set of safari's.
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another one......I was moving from Oregon back to California in '84 and at the time I had a '65 Rambler station wagon that I bought to tow my '56 VW convertible and pack all my other junk in....problem was I also had a '54 VW single cab....I drove away leaving the SC in the driveway, I still have the title....
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks guys. I feel much better now. Very Happy

HtF do some of you people live with yourselves? Haha. Laughing

...so those of you who've parted ways with such sweet metal, do you know now what became of it? New owners? Still scrapped? Etc.

N.

iowegian wrote:
67 Shane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An original roof rack. I was sixteen and had plans of putting it on my 70 Beetle. Dad was cleaning out the garage and decided that it had to go so he chunked it. I was looking for it about a week later and he told me what happened. What can ya do?

67 Euro Type 1.
67 SO-42 Westfalia
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5vert6 wrote:
I have another one......I was moving from Oregon back to California in '84 and at the time I had a '65 Rambler station wagon that I bought to tow my '56 VW convertible and pack all my other junk in....problem was I also had a '54 VW single cab....I drove away leaving the SC in the driveway, I still have the title....

What's the VIN # of the '54 Truck?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....200858598.......I checked the # and it appears they used the engine # as there are 1 too many #'s for the chassis....
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5vert6 wrote:
.....200858598.......I checked the # and it appears they used the engine # as there are 1 too many #'s for the chassis....

Yes, that is pretty common. That engine # is September, 1954.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I still have the title...."

Funny how that is. I still have the title and body VIN plate from my old Ghia Cabrio. The plate is nailed to one of the floor beams in my cellar. I see it every time that I go down the stairs.
Dunebubby
Samba Thread Killer

Location: In my den,throwing darts at a picture of my ex-boss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this isn't VW but I think you'll understand.......I worked at a Volvo parts and repair shop back in 89.We had a customer moving to Texas that came into the shop and asked if anybody wanted his OG wood slat roof rack that fit 67-74 wagons.He rolled in with it installed said if I removed it I could have it.I didn't own a Volvo (yet) but grabbed it thinking it might fit my 66 Jeep Wagoneer.Of course,it didn't. I hug onto it for a few months then not knowing what I'd do with it I took it apart threw the metal frame in the dumpster. My then girlfriend,now wife asks,"are you sure you should throw it away"?"Yeah,we'll never need it for anything",and again just before I started snapping the wood slats in half,"That wood looks pretty nice,isn't there anything we need it for"? "Nah,it's outta here",I very stupidly proclaimed.While the rack was made for 67-74 wagons it also fit 75-93 240 series wagons.That was 19 years ago,I've owned no fewer than 20 Volvo's that rack would have gone on since then. I've also found 2 more of those racks since.One I sold to a guy in Japan for $250 the other one is disassembled in my rafters with both the original birch wood slats and the oak slats I made for it.That one isn't going anywhere. Whenever I tell my wife we don't need something and we should toss it she asks if we "don't need it more or less than we once didn't need a wood slat roof rack". It's not like they don't break down and store easily. Rolling Eyes
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volvo racks can be modified to fit Squarebacks too. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: