Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts you regret selling/modifying/throwing away...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do whole cars count?....
Nearly 20 years ago sold a solid/complete 67 21 windows for around $1000.
Shortly after picked up a complete barndoor 23 out in a field in ontario (there was a BD Kombi in the same field with a set of fuchs thrown inside that I passed on). Solid overall. Paid $500 for it. (the kombi was also $500, or $800 if I took both. I didn't have the room for it Confused )
Around the same time picked up a 58 23 Ws. complete and STASHED with NOS parts (including an NOS complete sunroof repair section, that I've never seen). I paid $800 or so.
Sold the 54 and the 58 for $5-7000 (I forget exactly) for both, with all the extra parts and everything VW I owned at the time Mad
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold a 36-hp Okrasa kit (dual port heads, carbs, manifolds, linkage) for $80 in 1970.

Sold my 21-window for $600 in 1973.

At least these were sold to friends who used them ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father sold the family 1957 23 window in 1968 for $150.00 to A guy that looked like Jesus.The last time I saw it it had flowers painted in the roof windows and curtains in it.
57 AZ Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold a '62 ragtop bug for $350. The engine needed a rebuild and it had the wrong deck lid. The "wrong" deck lid was a full "W" oval-era deck lid that was worth $350 by itself.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never regret helping a friend with a part- but I only give a guy one chance to resell my generosity for profit...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O boy time to open some wounds....Lol
First, I sold an original paint mouse grey standard bus for 400 bucks that had horrible drip rail rust, not too bad until you remember it had a complete set of og paint front and rear slash bumpers, complete headlight assemblies and a full set of 15" bus rims in original paint.... Sad
I crushed a complete, original paint, one owner 72 squareback when I lived with my folks because it was "in the way" and had some floor pan rust. I dont like pig-nose squarebacks but that one could have lived a happy life with someone else. Still have the ignition keys... Embarassed
Traded a beautiful Saphire I radio for a 12 volt starter I needed at the time......
Im sure theres more but I dont wanna puke...

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really throw away, but-

Guy told me he had some 36 horse dual port heads...if I wanted them, come take them. I didn't bother to go get them, but told a buddy of mine who had them... he went and picked up a rebuilt set of Denzel heads.... for about 10 bucks worth of gas money.

ooops.
didn't throw them away, but my "trash can Raders" were kinda cool...still have them 30 years later on my Oval

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Guy told me he had some 36 horse dual port heads...if I wanted them, come take them. I didn't bother to go get them, but told a buddy of mine who had them... he went and picked up a rebuilt set of Denzel heads.... for about 10 bucks worth of gas money.

ooops.
didn't throw them away, but my "trash can Raders" were kinda cool...still have them 30 years later on my Oval

Ok....I'll bite, whats the story on the "trash can raders"?

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
Dave wrote:

ooops.

WHY!?!?!
Why oh why did you need to ask?!?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted the story a few times on here, I am fairly sure doing a search would find it.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
tacochris wrote:
Dave wrote:

ooops.

WHY!?!?!
Why oh why did you need to ask?!?!

Oops.....the trap net was covered in leaves, I didnt see it when I stepped into it. Lol I'll do a search....

vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i regret not hording
bay window nose emblems

only 5 years ago i could find them all day long

for $5-$10

today bay or split the price is the same....

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted long rambling post.

Last edited by AlanInMass54 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
What a fun/depressing topic! I can play too.
In this town there used to be a dumpy old garage owned by a dumpy older guy whoused to do lots of VWs back in the day (I eventually bought a 2 owner 58 Ghia off him but that's another story). On one of my conversations with him he asks me if I know what the oldest beetle imported over here was. He says he has one. It's a 46. It 'needs work' but is 'all there'. Well let's go look! It's at his old house two towns over. It's a deep back yard that goes into the woods, then there's a junk-filled clearing. I ask where the 46 is, he says it's right there. I'm not seeing it. Then I look down and about 2 feet high is a roof, with a hood still bolted onto the remains of a cowl. Half the hood is rusted away, I lift it, there's the tank! It has no bottom. There's part of the center of the dash there, the left quarter is leaning against a nearby tree, right quarter is caved in and laying UNDER the roof. Split window still there. Original 46 decklid still there but stomped flat, no inner structure. Didn't see doors. I spot a chassis across the clearing, he says it's the original - he cut it in half to make a 'cricket racer' whatever that is. he says the local kids valdalized the car. Looked like they vandalized it with an a bomb. It had been stomped on, beaten on and who knows what else. By this point I was befuddled as to how this could be seen as repairable and I'm pretty optimistic about saving stuff! He remained adamant. I left. Told this guy who I considered a friend (who eventually turned out to be a real scumbag) about it. He goes over and starts digging, cuts what's left apart. Then in digging starts unearthing (literally) stuff. Three crashbox trannies, 16 inch grooved trim rings, saves the 46 front beam with finned drums, etc. I guess he got it all dirt (hah) cheap and sold most of it off. Had I had the foresight I could have made a good buck off it all. But I was too nauseated what had been done to the car to see the bigger picture.
Oh a long time ago when I bought my 56 Bug (early 90's) it came with a 58 - 63 decklid on it among other wrong parts. There was a lid in the back of the car too which, from the pictures I had seen (this is before Al Gore invented the internet) looked right. But it wasn't. The oval plate light was inside the car and didn't fit the holes. So I gave the lid to aforementioned friend who knew exactly what it was but didn't tell me. I gave away a nice rust free split window pope's nose decklid. Also gave him this weird inside mirror it had (split too).
These were a long time ago but thinking even now I realize I am a dope. Confused I have lots more but it gets too depressing.

I got tired of reading after the 4th line

So what was the part you regret getting rid of ???

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trashed a zwitter beetle speedo when I was a little bit younger (and foolish)... Disection completed! What was I (not) thinking???
Still have that speedo (in a lot of pieces) but not sure whether I can rebuild it... Time will tell I guess.
Hopefully it will be revived from the few loose sad parts (in a bin) to full luster, before the car to which it belonged, is.
I'm just glad I didn't trew out the completely dissasembled speedo altogether back then!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevhum wrote:
My father sold the family 1957 23 window in 1968 for $150.00 to A guy that looked like Jesus.The last time I saw it it had flowers painted in the roof windows and curtains in it.

150 bucks? Looking back 45 years later.... do we have a winner Question Laughing

Hippie samba, I love it Exclamation Applause that is the pure "shitting on materialism" with nowadays samba overrated values, awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts you regret selling/modifying/throwing away... Reply with quote

Looks like this thread died a few years ago, so I'll attempt to revive it:
Got my first VW bug in 1966 (when I was 16) ...it was a 1959 Tourist Import vehicle, traded a black angus steer calf for it (worth about $350). Drove it for about 2 years, and sold it (can't remember why). SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT. Then, about 6 months later, I bought a really nice black with red interior 1963 Beetle for $750, but got work out of province for a year, so sold the car about 6 months later because it was taking up space in my parent's driveway. SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT.
When I came back (summer of 1969) bought a 1966 Beetle (Bahama Blue) with 40K miles on it, for $1100. (the one in my signature) Drove it for 2 years, then sold it. SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT.
In 1970, bought a 1968 Beetle, drove it for 2 years (seeing a pattern here??) and then traded it off for a new 1972 Mazda 808 Coupe. (New VW's were about $500 more than the $2800 I paid for the Mazda.) SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE VW.
That ended my VW ownership experiences for the next 10 years, until 1982 when I found a 1957 Beetle in an old lady's back yard. I asked her if it was for sale ...she asked "Would you take it way for $250?" She was going into an old folks home, and just wanted rid of it. I put air in the tires and drove it 350 miles home. Used it for a daily driver for about 6 months, and then some kid came buy and asked if it was for sale. I said "No". He offered $1,000. I said "Yes". SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT. ..but, was recently married, had a mortage and a kid on the way.
In about 1990 we had a garage sale, and I sold a complete VW beetle tool roll, and a paperback service manual for next to nothing. SHOULD HAVE KEPT THEM.
Fast forward to 2013, and I bought a 66 Bahama Blue project to work on. $800. GONNA KEEP IT.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts you regret selling/modifying/throwing away... Reply with quote

Back in 2008 I had a financial emergency!

I sold most of my NOS type 3 parts collection. It helped to get me out of the hole, but man did it hurt.

NOS Dashpad
NOS S badge
NOS camping hinges
NOS TS Badge
Red needle tach
White needle tach
NOS Line trim rings
NOS arm rests
NOS ruby red fender beading
NOS coco mats
NOS shift knob
NOS Full circle horn ring
NOS emergency brake buttons
NOS window cranks
NOS Diamante Sills
NOS Carbs
NOS Ignition column
4 prs of NOS type 3 mudflaps
all my flat hubcaps
two cat eye mirrors

Dang!!!!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts you regret selling/modifying/throwing away... Reply with quote

not only regret selling but also regret not buying

lottery always fails to many projects and i am stupid

vdo split hebmuller 52mm fuel gauge for glove box
nos bosch headlight splitbus
semaphore turn signal switch splitbus
NOS ice pick doorhandle splitbus 55-60
NOS mirrors pair bay window
NOS inner cargo door handle
NOS headlight flasher karmann ghia and bug
NOS euro taillights 55-57 splitbus
NOS parts bags
3!! NOS ice pick doorhandle 61-63 splitbus
2!! clipon mirror "kontakt"
NOS doorhandle early ghia
NOS wegu whitewalls 16"
vdo clock in grill 58-63 bug
2 NOS leads spark plug wires in box
2 NOS starter button zwitter split oval aluminium
nos wiper pivot splitbus
nos horn button split bus black
3 NOS bosch foglight
ALL nos wegu mudflaps
philips nx624 radio 6v 1952
NOS hella suction spotlight
NOS kamei cockpit
vdo tach 6000 rpm 80mm
NOS headlights t2a bosch euro
NOS 010 distributor
NOS semaphore indicator
NOS doorhandle ice pick set bug
split beelte pod complete with speedo 4/50
NOS happich exhaust connector
NOS vent louver trim
NOS bosch distributor BR8/019
HECK rear vent trim NOS
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I never regret helping a friend with a part- but I only give a guy one chance to resell my generosity for profit...

This, nothing burns me more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: