Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 KG w/1600 eng and 40's kadrons will not IDLE
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyankeebarn1390
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: 69 KG w/1600 eng and 40's kadrons will not IDLE Reply with quote

Same old, Same old. I have a 69 KG w/1600 eng and 40's dual kadrons that will not idle. Starts right up with one or two pumps of the throttle lift foot from throttle and dies like turning off the key. I have read several of the posts and am going to check the idle screws tomorrow. Just reset the point gap today. The plugs, points, wires, cap and condenser are all new. The gas tank has been flushed and filter is clean. The distributor is stock without vac advance. I keep seeing references to a SVDA distributor, what is that? Tomorrow I am going to take the carbs off and look for dirt and other crap.

Any ideas or just keeping reading the posts and try things. This not a daily driver. My dd is a 2000 Explorer ( I live in Maine). I am slowly rebuilding this car and just want to drive it a little this summer.

Thanks for your help. Brick wall
Midwest aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the idle jets out and clean them. There is probably crap stuck in them. As you said, check the mixture screws and make sure they aren't screwed all the way in.

Jason

1957 Oval window Rag, Cover car, summer issue Volksamerica Magazine

Midwest Air-Cooled & Machine
Facebook.com/midwestaircooled
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldyankeebarn1390
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: 69 KG w/1600 eng and 40's kadrons will not IDLE, DOES NOW! Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your help. Removed both carbsand thoughly cleaned them, lots of brown crud. The parts breakdown is very helpful. Discovered that I need the accelerator diaphram spring, the left side has one, the right side does not. The car now starts, idles without stalling and I was able to drive for a short test drive (within walking distance back) without any problems. Had to buy a dwell/tach/volt meter from Sears to make the finial adjustments. The car now idles at 900 rpm, and dwell is at 44 deg. Now that I have a car that is safe to drive, i can start on the showy things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: