Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No go when hot
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: No go when hot Reply with quote

I have an intermittent issue with my '85 Vanagon Westy that's not a show stopper, but it is vexing.

She starts and runs fine. After running for a while, if you stop, then get in it again, no dice, no joy, no nothing.

You turn the key and get dash lights; radio and lights work, but the starter does not engage. If you let it sit for 20-30 minutes, vroom. No drama, it works.

So, it's a hot start issue. Any ideas?

TIA
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

search 'hot start relay'

some say you don't need one..
some say it's more to break and strand you

but i've never had any trouble... well actually once, but that was mechanic error (mine) in placement and it fell loose near the axle.

it's nice to not have to worry about key in.... *nothing...

there are kits sold by VW vendors, there's even an official Bosch "VW Hot start relay kit"
but it's no more complicated then a off the shelf foglight relay added @ the starter to give the solenoid better +12v power then the current track from the battery to the key to the starter..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be several things, the main wire to the starter gets corroded at the terminal ends under the crimp. The ignition switch can frequently be crap. Or your starter is getting to that stage in life where the windings are loosing their insulation, a condition worsened by heat. Or you can just have the loose connection issues with the big spade connector on top of the starter. The final one is the battery connections, a little loose or some corrosion and they will not pass any juice on crank.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hot start issues can be perplexing. I have been dealing with one for 2 years now. Yes, 2 years. Different than yours though. Mine will crank, just won't catch, unless you give the gas pedal a pump or two. Totally intermittent. It just will not do it at the shop. Replaced fuel pump relays and fuel filter, no help. Checked fuel pressure, seems normal. Not sure what to try next. Question Question
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your transmission an automatic or stick? I had problems with the position switch on the automatic shifter being worn out. I thought it was a start issue but it was just worn out contacts on the park switch.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an automatic, originally a manual. My father-in-law swapped it.

Battery is good with no corrosion. Starter? Wires look good, but it may well be the starter.

I want to do distance in it, but hesitate if it's going to go blank at fuel stops. Running it to the coast and back this spring, I just left it running while I filled up.

I hate to throw parts at stuff, but I may buy a new starter just to see what happens...
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time it won't start, try putting it in neutral. That will tell you if it's the position switch.
smokeymountaindub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:

I hate to throw parts at stuff, but I may buy a new starter just to see what happens...

I've never tried this.... but couldn't you just try to jump the starter(with a direct connection from the battery) the next time you have this issue? Just to see if it's an issue with the starter, before buying/installing a new one.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Confused
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for suggestions. I'm going to look into a hot start kit.

In the mean time, I'll leave a good book in her - just in case I get stranded again Wink
WiscoKidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem for a while. Took the starter out 3 times convinced that was the problem. Had it tested by the starter rebuild guys. Nope. It worked great. Ignition switch was the culprit! But at least I can pop that starter out in 3 mins or less now! Good luck
weatherbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been having this same problem and now stuff won't come on unless I have my high beams on.......

funny story, the other dayw as waiting in line to get emissions inspection....guy in front was clogging the line for like 30 mintues due to a technical issue.... so I turn off the engine and wait till the line moves.....bam! can;t restart! have to push van to side....called tow truck, was 1 hr late .....bla, so I go to try to restart fo the 20th time and after 1.5 hrs, bammo! starts right up, so I call the tow guy off.....ok, so I get back in line and another dude clogging the line for about 20 mintues, so no a/c I'm sweeting it out in really bad heat, so finally, my turn to get inspected..... the emissions inspector says to hand him my key for the gas cap (same key is for starting up).....LOL..... I told him, you got to be kidding.....nope.... he has to inspect the damn gas cap...... I told him, the same thing is gonna happen as befor eif I shut this off...... so he gave me no choice...... so he insects the cap, hand sme back the key and .......#@$%!& !!!! no start..... push van over again!!!....ARG! I'm about to break something...... so this time I wait and about 30 min later it cools and starts again.....get inspection....HC is 5, CO is like .01...... wow! WHAT A NEW CAT CAN DO!
SO lookslike I need to get onto changing the ignition switch out soon, before I get into a long wait again

http://www.benplace.com/dash.htm

great tutorial with pics on changing the ignition switch
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: