Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165-SR 15 tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't be afraid to call your local auto-recycler. There is a "famous" salvage yard here in Boston-they have EVERYTHING it seems-and I was there looking for speakers. They have tons of tires they pull from wrecked vehicles and they sell them cheap. The owner asked me what size I need as I was strolling through the aisles and I gave him the stock size, 165/80/R15. He laughed and said no such tire exists. I laughed back and told him it certainly does, he probably just hasn't seen anything even close for 15 years. He gets on his computer and goes "I'll be damned" sure enough they had some. Takes me back in the warehouse and not only did they have those, but he had some 165 SR-15s, made in France, that looked brand new. He had Nexxens AND Nankang 165/80/R15s and he wanted $40 each for them all, mounted and balanced.
I got the Classics over a year ago at a tire chain (Sullivans), cost me $200 out the door, after the guy on the phone told me they weren't made in China (they are), and they are not bad but they are wearng fast. I have 15 year old (at least, but they were un-used when I mounted them) Sears 165R15s on the front of my car that are not as worn as the Classics in the rear. When the Classics are done I'll be taking a trip to the salvage yard.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I bought a set of Kumho tires in late 2012. These are the specs:

165/80R15

Made in china

Treadwear 400
Traction A
Temperature B

I have about three thousand miles on them now and they have shown no wear to speak of. They handle well and aren't noisy.

What else can I say? They work.

Tim

Same here, but about 15,000 miles on them.

Still looking fantastic!

Cant really see any wear, tread is nice and deep.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

jared6881 wrote:
Just bought 4 Kumho tires from Discount Tire for $450. Seems like the prices keep going up. 165/80-15

The Kumho Power Star 758?

It's been a couple of months, how are they?
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply with quote

mrkotfw wrote:
jared6881 wrote:
Just bought 4 Kumho tires from Discount Tire for $450. Seems like the prices keep going up. 165/80-15

The Kumho Power Star 758?

It's been a couple of months, how are they?

I've had them for 15k miles. Still look good. Probably can go another 25k miles

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.........

I see there are Michelin XZX from coker.........anything with better grip in a 165R 15 ?

Im trying to buy the best, top of the line available today for my Ghia.

Dry traction is most important.....wet dosnt matter as it dosnt get driven in the wet.

Whats my top choices for quality tire with great traction these days ?
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
OK.........

I see there are Michelin XZX from coker.........anything with better grip in a 165R 15 ?

Im trying to buy the best, top of the line available today for my Ghia.

Dry traction is most important.....wet dosnt matter as it dosnt get driven in the wet.

Whats my top choices for quality tire with great traction these days ?

Vredestein are my fav but opinions will vary:
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/radial-tires/vredestein-sprint-classic-3984.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ?

Nobody has any comments on good or bad tires these days ?

Anybody buy the Michelin XZX from Coker ? Performance report please ?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read conflicting opinions on those Coker-sold XZX tires. The other day I did some searching and reading on the topic and, they apparently still say "Made in France" on them but some doubt if it's true. Coker has bought a lot of tire molds over the years and have the tires made themselves using different compounds of rubber than original, and it's unknown if these Michelins are in that category or not. I've heard that they don't get nearly the milage-life that they did back in the 1970s though.

Personally, if I was going go deep-wallet on tires, I'd probably pick Vredestein.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the Kumhos listed above, got them new mounted for $50/pop and never had a problem with them. FWIW

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I've read conflicting opinions on those Coker-sold XZX tires. The other day I did some searching and reading on the topic and, they apparently still say "Made in France" on them but some doubt if it's true. Coker has bought a lot of tire molds over the years and have the tires made themselves using different compounds of rubber than original, and it's unknown if these Michelins are in that category or not. I've heard that they don't get nearly the milage-life that they did back in the 1970s though.

Personally, if I was going go deep-wallet on tires, I'd probably pick Vredestein.

That was my exact fear with Coker........just cuz the mold says made in France may lead you to believe its just like they used to be....rubber compound and all.

I loved the tread pattern, but need to be sure the rubber compound and quality construction are at least up to the old formula.

What model Vredsteins are best for handleing and grip ?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

That was my exact fear with Coker........just cuz the mold says made in France may lead you to believe its just like they used to be....rubber compound and all.

I loved the tread pattern, but need to be sure the rubber compound and quality construction are at least up to the old formula.

do they make more then one tire type in the 165/15 size? i though they only had Vredestein Sprint Classic Tires in that size...
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

do they make more then one tire type in the 165/15 size? i though they only had Vredestein Sprint Classic Tires in that size...

Vredestein's also sold a model just called Classic. (no sprint) it was ( maybe still is) the same tire except a less fancy sidewall. It was ~ $20 less than a Sprint. But I haven't seen those in a few years.
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any body else ?

Opinions, comments ?

Gotta be a few of you guys actually driving some miles.

Gonna need to get something ordered up soon.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get Bridgestone B800 tires in 165/80R15 here. Are these not avail in the US?
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
Any body else ?

Opinions, comments ?

I have not commented since all of my vehicles are wearing 185s at a minimum.
I DD my stuff, to the tune of 12K miles a year, and did not have great luck with the 165s available in my area. Due to low demand, the tires were old (date codes confirmed) with a couple of years on them already, by the time I purchased them.
After one accident, crumpling the nose (formerly pristine) of a Ghia, I bumped to 205s on my DD and dropped down to a super soft compound to give maximum traction/cornering/braking (skidding on hard tires was what got me).

I can recommend great tires for our cars, just not ones made in the size you are looking for.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I like my General Altimax tires.

Max
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nexen SB802's... I highly recommend them.
I put about 65,000 miles on my first set of them. And now I'm about to buy the second set!
Yes,

65,000 miles.

I just had a choice between the nankang ones and the nexens, and for not wanting to take a gamble on longevity I bought the nexens again. 70 bucks a pop delivered to my door...

-Frank
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:
Any body else ?

Opinions, comments ?

I DD my stuff, to the tune of 12K miles a year, and did not have great luck with the 165s available in my area. Due to low demand, the tires were old (date codes confirmed) with a couple of years on them already, by the time I purchased them.
After one accident, crumpling the nose (formerly pristine) of a Ghia, I bumped to 205s on my DD and dropped down to a super soft compound to give maximum traction/cornering/braking (skidding on hard tires was what got me).

I can recommend great tires for our cars, just not ones made in the size you are looking for.

Rob

Tell me more !

They are actually going on a '70 Ghia thats lowered about 4 inches. I have a adjustable front beam that as I recall is narrowed about 1 inch........tire clearance at the wheelwell lip is a issue when steering is at full lock. ( Yes, I increased the steering limiter stops as far as I reasonably could)........still, didnt look like much room for tire size increase, both front and back..........maybe respond over in the Ghia section please ?

Thanks.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do you guys think about the 155/80 R15 tires size? This was the stock size for the mexican Beetle, but is still in production by Firestone / Bridestone here.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Space wrote:
helowrench wrote:
Lost in Space wrote:
Any body else ?

Opinions, comments ?

Rob

Tell me more !

They are actually going on a '70 Ghia thats lowered about 4 inches. I have a adjustable front beam that as I recall is narrowed about 1 inch........tire clearance at the wheelwell lip is a issue when steering is at full lock. ( Yes, I increased the steering limiter stops as far as I reasonably could)........still, didnt look like much room for tire size increase, both front and back..........maybe respond over in the Ghia section please ?

Thanks.

I am running a stock height Ghia with 924 rear torsion bars, a 3/4" front sway bar, and using 914 Mahle 5.5 inch wide rims 4X130 pattern from a 914. (SAFETY WARNING: these rims bolt up, but DO REQUIRE PARTICULAR LUG BOLTS)
The offset is correct to get them under the rear fenders of a ghia.
In fact, I could probably squeeze a 215 tire on them.

The only negative was a bit lost from my tuirning radius (you have to reset your steering stops to keep from rubbing front tires on hard turns)

I am running Ohtsu FP6000 tires which are a reissue of the beloved Falken Ziex 512 (discontinued, kinda) in the 205/60/15 size.

These things are directional, and super sticky.

Warning: they have a slightly soft sidewall, so you will have to run them at higher pressures (mine: 26F 30R) to stop the squirmy.

These things rock.
I cannot lock up the brakes now, unless in the wet, on old, slick asphalt surfaces.

I do not know how the lowered thing will effect you.

Edit:
1 I liked them so much, I bought them for my beetle
2 Available at Discount Tire local to me
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: